Direct Dial Shortcut Not Available on Droid X?

Hrun

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
My friend and I were comparing his Droid to my Droid X to see what apps we like. He showed me the Direct Dial shortcut function. It appears to be either a Motorola or Android function but I don't have it on my Droid X.

Anyone know if this is something we can get? It looked pretty sweet. I have Bettercut but the icon function is harder to setup. With Direct Dial it appeared to take the contact's assigned photo.

Any thoughts?

Loving the Droid X btw! So glad to get rid of my Storm1

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Not exactly sure what Direct Dialer Shortcut means. Is it the little green icon with the telephone inside it? Because we have it.

It opens up to the dial pad and has tabs for recent calls, contact list and favorites.

Hrun

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Ah, ok. They changed the Direct Dial shortcut to the Contact Quick Task widget. I was hoping that wasn't the case.

I use LauncherPro Plus and the Contact Quick Task widgets doesn't work correctly with it. You can't make them just one square in size and a direct dial if the contact has multiple numbers, e.g. I want to dial my wife's cell phone.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll keep using Bettercut.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Ah, ok. They changed the Direct Dial shortcut to the Contact Quick Task widget. I was hoping that wasn't the case.

I use LauncherPro Plus and the Contact Quick Task widgets doesn't work correctly with it. You can't make them just one square in size and a direct dial if the contact has multiple numbers, e.g. I want to dial my wife's cell phone.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll keep using Bettercut.

Yes, these work with LPP. I have 17 vertical ones on 2 of my home screens, each with 2 customizable boxes under the photo (I chose phone and text), one under the other. I think LPP prefers that the photo be a bit larger with the two (or more) choices underneath, side by side then vertical, because that's the way they come up when first installed on the home screens. However, you can custom size them with a long press. I have one a horizontal with three boxes along side.

There IS something hinky with these widgets and LPP, but if LPP is installed over blank home screens (all of them), they seem to work fine. They might need to reload after a "sleep" period and you might run into some re-sizing issues if you restart or turn off/on. But so far, they have behaved quite well -- as well as they did when I was just using them on the native screen app.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
They might need to reload after a "sleep" period and you might run into some re-sizing issues if you restart or turn off/on.

Should have clarified that these reloads after an inactive period are done automatically ... same for the window-shade contacts widget that LPP provides. If the "shade" is off the screen for any length of time, the contact pix (etc) auto reload next time they are visible and seem to stay loaded until the next inactive period. Only takes a few seconds to reload.

simplify2

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Speed Dial setup

This post is for the Droid X. If you're talking about anything else I apologize.

Go to your dial pad, push the settings button on the phone and select Speed Dial setup.

The rest is pretty self explanatory.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Speed Dial doesn't work on 2.2 -- with or without LPP. There appears to be some sort of bug and there are a couple other threads on this problem.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
OOps ... Direct Dial is the topic here. As for those terrific native widgets, I still can't get them to work on 2.2 and gave up. Now use the People widget for Favorites from LPP.

Callindril

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Speed Dial doesn't work on 2.2 -- with or without LPP. There appears to be some sort of bug and there are a couple other threads on this problem.

Actually, it does, you just cant use the Contact list Search feature to pick the contact...

For example, if I go into the Dialer, and press and hold the #2, it asks if I want to Assign a speed dial contact number to 2. Select OK, and then scroll to the contact you want...do not search, and do not use the little pull tab...just flick scroll to the desired contact and tap it...and then it will save it.

I have 7 speed dials all set up this way.

Reactions: Arelunde

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I posted this in the tips thread:

I found a way to get a Direct Dial shortcut using the free app Folder Organizer Lite. Long press the homescreen (or setup in Launcher Pro Dock icon) and select Shortcut, Folder Organizer Item, Direct Call, choose from your contact list.

For the Direct Text using Folder Organizer Lite again. Long press the homescreen (or setup in Launcher Pro Dock icon) and select Shortcut, Folder Organizer Item, Direct Text, choose from your contact list.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Actually, it does, you just cant use the Contact list Search feature to pick the contact...

For example, if I go into the Dialer, and press and hold the #2, it asks if I want to Assign a speed dial contact number to 2. Select OK, and then scroll to the contact you want...do not search, and do not use the little pull tab...just flick scroll to the desired contact and tap it...and then it will save it.

I have 7 speed dials all set up this way.

WOW!!! WOW!!!

It worked!!! This should be put in a sticky somehow... who would have thought?? Also, sort of weird that the conventional ways of adding contacts wouldn't work.

No matter. Thank you!! You might consider starting a thread with this information! There are many like me very frustrated with this issue.:D

Goldwinger

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Well for me I use Dialer 1 as I like the fact that you can set it up to list both recently dialed numbers and contacts phone numbers. As you type the numbers, both names and numbers that match show up.

Takes all the fun out of showing faces on the home screen I know, but it works the best for me. great app.

Matd23

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
This post is for the Droid X. If you're talking about anything else I apologize.

Go to your dial pad, push the settings button on the phone and select Speed Dial setup.

The rest is pretty self explanatory.
I am having an issue with this system and am one day into my second Dx. Everything else seems to have been fixed for now, mostly. It happened on my first phone as well - every time I tried adding speed dials via that method, nothing worked. I searched to find the correct contact and clicked said contact, but it just dropped me back to the speed dial screen without saving the number in the specific slot. I did, however, figure out that if you add the necessary number to your favorites folder, then select from there for a speed dial addition, the number adds just fine. Any clues or has anyone else out there run into this problem?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgrochowski