Droid X vs Droid 2
10-19-2010 08:12 PM
- (please point me toward another post if I'm beating a dead horse)
Currently have an original Droid-looking at upgrading to either a Droid 2 or a Droid X. Would like advice-specifically from those of you that went from an original Droid to a Droid X. Some other info-
Droid-like the keyboard, but just more or less as a "handle" for the phone. I find it easier to browse, game, so forth if I slide the screen up and hold the keyboard. I do have large hands. Battery life good. Also like the 'toughness' of the phone-have dropped multiple times, even shut in a car door and it's held up. Overall love the phone-only thing I hate is the camera.
Droid 2-have used one for about an hour, borrowed from someone else. Like the speed, don't really care for the moto UI but it's OK. Like the keyboard, but just OK. Didn't get to take any pics, but if it's no better than the original Droid camera then I won't be impressed.
Droid X-have only seen them in VZW store. Love the screen size, and thinness. Not to hung up on no keyboard. Like some of the sample pics (taken with X) I've seen. Wonder about a.) overall size-I have large hands, feels OK in the store? b.) durablity-seems more 'plasticy' than my original droid c.) battery life with that large screen d.) dock use-how easy does the X come in and out of the dock e.) vehicle dock-overall ease of use as I use my Droid in the car for audio constantly f.) real world pic and video quality
I am leaning toward the Droid X as I do a ton of browsing/app use on my phone & for the better camera/video. I use bluetooth 80% when on a voice call so the quality of the speaker in that respect is not a huge issue. I see myself as a rare user of the HDMI function, may watch videos on the X from time to time. My heaviest use is in apps (gaming, GPS), browsing (skyfire for facebook, stock android for everything else) and GMAIL (mostly just read). Do some texting, but not a huge amount.
Would greatly appreciate any/all advice-love these forums and visit android central probably a dozen times a day.10-19-2010 10:20 AM
- Droid X-have only seen them in VZW store. Love the screen size, and thinness. Not to hung up on no keyboard. Like some of the sample pics (taken with X) I've seen. Wonder about a.) overall size-I have large hands, feels OK in the store? b.) durablity-seems more 'plasticy' than my original droid c.) battery life with that large screen d.) dock use-how easy does the X come in and out of the dock e.) vehicle dock-overall ease of use as I use my Droid in the car for audio constantly f.) real world pic and video quality
b.) Pretty durable. Its actually metal in most areas. Or feels like it at least.
c.) Battery Life is same as any other high end smart phone. IMO screen size isnt a batter killer. Screen technology is.
d.)When you first use the dock a few times its a bit tight. But the more you use it the better it fits. Good and snug isnt a bad thing.
e.)Vehicle dock is just as easy imo.
f.)Camera quality is pretty good considering its a phone. Its video is better then the Droid and the Pics are ok. Just depends on how you take pictures. It also has better hardware then the droid 2. The droid 2 felt more like a droid 1 refresh to me.
Over all the Droid X is in a different catagory then the Droid 1 or Droid 2. There low end devices like the Eris. There are mid range devices like the Droid 1 and Droid 2 (by todays standards). Then there are high end devices like the Dinc, Droid X, and the Samsung Fascinate.
If a physical keyboard are a must have get the Droid 2 or wait for the HTC Merge.
If not then the Droid X or the Fascinate will suit your needs. The fascinate has a car dock too but at the moment the GPS is wonky. The Fascinate also plays games and movies much better.
The Droid X gets it done though. Call quality is amazing on it and the phone does well in all aspects of Android. I switched from a Fascinate and I love it. Had an Eris before that. Hated it lol.10-19-2010 12:28 PMLike 3
- I own X but handle the other models frequently because I am the sys admin who helps them get set up with messaging and with other issues. I did spend time using working versions of both in the store. X screen, weight and form factor did it for me. I use SwiftKey keyboard most of the time if that makes a difference.
If you're coming from the original model you probably already know that Android and Motorola are a junk show as far as good messaging (push, exchange, email support and use) so nothing new there.
You have a 30 day window for returns and exchanges where some agent stores are more liberal.10-19-2010 12:51 PM
- I have owned at least one of every phone VZW has to offer. My recent ventures have been (in order) D1, D2, Dinc, Fascinate, DX.
The d1 and d2 like mentioned are more of the mid-end phones. They are alright, but imho the physical keyboards on them are just about useless unless you have infant hands.
The Dinc, was nice, good camera quality and overall good build, but the battery life is HORRIBLE. I couldn't even get close to a full day on a charge with moderate to heavy use.
Fascinate was a REALLY nice phone, the screen is unbelievably clear, the picture quality is amazing and the phone works great. Only gripe i had with it was the virtual keyboard on it. In landscape mode the space bar was off to the right hand side instead of in the middle like every other phone made so it really bothered me... Honestly, enough to get rid of the phone as i send a lot of emails and do a lot of texting. Also, the lack of a "real" auto spell corrector was a bit of an issue as well as i tend to type fast and it just happens that i will hit wrong keys from time to time.
Now, the DX... Just got it a few days ago and thus far love it. Haven't gotten a chance to really test out the camera yet. BUT everything else has been awesome. The battery life is great, i have currently had it unplugged for going on 8 hours and am still have 80% battery life with moderate use (which will get higher now that i am out of work) the keyboard is awesome, really responsive and there is a "real" auto spell check.
I would go with the DX from the sounds of your use. Big hands play great with the DX as it is a massive phone (my fiance cant stand how big it is). I just don't think the D2 would work as well for you.
Hope this helps!10-19-2010 03:53 PM
- Only gripe i had with it was the virtual keyboard on it. In landscape mode the space bar was off to the right hand side instead of in the middle like every other phone made so it really bothered me... Honestly, enough to get rid of the phone as i send a lot of emails and do a lot of texting
But yes I agree that the Droid X is the way to go here.10-19-2010 03:59 PM
- 10-19-2010 06:18 PM
- To me, the camera sucks as far as great pic's but to me, droid is not just a phone. In fact, I wouldn't care if it even had a phone.. hehe. I love the 4.3 and how it feels in my hand, and I don't have big hands. Glad your going with it, you'll be happy I hope.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk10-19-2010 08:12 PM
- Motorola Android Phones
- More Motorola Phones
- Verizon Droid X Forums
- Motorola Droid X
Droid X vs Droid 2
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD