Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Can you set up the Facebook app so that it doesn't sync contacts?

    Is there a way to have the facebook app NOT sync contacts to the phone? This is for my sons X that I got him for Christmas. After he set up his facebook app, it populated his phone contacts with all his facebook people. I wiped the phone and started over, but don't want it to happen again.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  2. #2  

    Default

    This is a suggestion - Try only to sign in using the Facebook app only, and don't sync anything that involves your FB application. Either that or delete each contacts individually.
  3. #3  

    Default

    Did you add Facebook as an "account?" Can you turn off contacts sync like you can with other account types?

    I don't have facebook on my phone so I don't know how this works with the DX.
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    Is there a way to have the facebook app NOT sync contacts to the phone? This is for my sons X that I got him for Christmas. After he set up his facebook app, it populated his phone contacts with all his facebook people. I wiped the phone and started over, but don't want it to happen again.
    use the facebook app from the market, and not the build in blur social media app. Unfortunately you cant stop it from syncing completely
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default

    Root, and replace your ROM with APEX, GUMMY, or RUBIX.

    Get all the moto crap off your phone and it'll actually do what you want, faster, and with better battery life
  6. #6  
    DK1102's Avatar

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

    Default

    I linked most of them together with the link option. It eliminated the clutter and the duplicates. Took no more than 20 minutes or so. The others are just there and I ignore them. But most of friends on face book I have their contact info anyway
  7. #7  

    Default

    Having it synced will give your contacts pictures as well as other info and it really doesnt take long. Also you can change the view of your contacts to just 'phone contacts'. Open up your contacts and click where it says Contacts and it will give you give you other catagories and choose Phone Contacts instead of All. Hope this helps.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default

    I find it ridiculous that facebook assumes that everyone wants all of the inflated, phoney "friends" populated into our phones contact database. This is only a guess, but I doubt that even 20% of all the "friends" on facebook have ever even met, much less spoken to each other on the phone. I should shut up...I don't want to get wound up into a facebook rant.

    The solution that I found for my sons phone was to leave the facebook app deleted and in either Dolphin or xScope browser, go into settings, user agent and change it from Android to Desktop/Computer. Thereafter, any site that you visit will only show the full version.

    It works for us.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  9. #9  

    Default

    I had the same problem when my Droid X was new. Did a reset and then loaded FB from the Market. Don't use the FB app that is stock. That took care of the problem
  10. #10  

    Default

    Check SOCIAL NETWORKING. Remove FB. No more synch issue.
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    I find it ridiculous that facebook assumes that everyone wants all of the inflated, phoney "friends" populated into our phones contact database. This is only a guess, but I doubt that even 20% of all the "friends" on facebook have ever even met, much less spoken to each other on the phone. I should shut up...I don't want to get wound up into a facebook rant.

    The solution that I found for my sons phone was to leave the facebook app deleted and in either Dolphin or xScope browser, go into settings, user agent and change it from Android to Desktop/Computer. Thereafter, any site that you visit will only show the full version.

    It works for us.
    So off base. The Facebook app from the Market does NOT sync any data to your contacts. This is the app written by and maintained by Facebook. However, if you add Facebook to the ACCOUNTS section of Blur (Settings -> Accounts), that will sync profile pictures, contact info, and other data from facebook to your contacts. This is COMPLETELY separate from the offical Facebook for Android app and is 100% a Motorola/Blur function.

    In other words, your rant should be directed at Motorola or you shouldn't be ranting at all because adding your Facebook account to Blur is completely optional.
  12. #12  

    Default

    I too had this issue. thanks For the tip on removing the blur facebook. Now my contacts are just MY contacts! :-)
  13. #13  
    broadwayblues's Avatar

    Posts
    415 Posts
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted, Unlocked

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davbak View Post
    So off base. The Facebook app from the Market does NOT sync any data to your contacts. This is the app written by and maintained by Facebook. However, if you add Facebook to the ACCOUNTS section of Blur (Settings -> Accounts), that will sync profile pictures, contact info, and other data from facebook to your contacts. This is COMPLETELY separate from the offical Facebook for Android app and is 100% a Motorola/Blur function.

    In other words, your rant should be directed at Motorola or you shouldn't be ranting at all because adding your Facebook account to Blur is completely optional.
    HA. I was about to post the same thing. So true. I really don't like Blur at all.

Posting Permissions