No data or voice connection

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Like the title says, I no longer have a data or voice connection while in my office. There is a Verizon tower that is in the parking lot of my office building and for the last 5 years have always received full 3G data and full bars. Just to make sure I checked with a co-worker who also has a DX and his service is great. Nothing has changed as far as applications or ROM. Can the radios in these units crap the bed?

What is odd is that when I get home, it automatically connects to my WiFi and my bars are back to full. I can turn off WiFi and my 3G works fine. But as soon as I come back to work, no data and no voice. I've tried updating the PRL, but that's not possible with no service.

I've tried wiping the data and cache. Didn't work.
Tried a factory reset. Didn't work.
Tried installing Liberty ROM. Didn't work.
Tried unrooting. Didn't work.
Tried re-installing the stock ROM back from Liberty. Didn't work.
I've even gone outside and stood under the Verizon tower. Didn't work.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
The *228 (not 223, unless that's a new number) option 2 (update roaming) puts you in contact with the nearest cell towers. If there's a big distance between where you work and where you live, this could indeed make a difference. Worth a try, anyway.

If you are traveling, it's a good idea to do a *228/2 periodically so your X isn't working overtime to connect with some signal. Will help save your battery as well.

In addition, check with your business people to see if there's been some kind of barrier installed to radio signals. However, the fact you can stand right below the tower and not get a signal is strange.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Check you settings under Settings/Wireless and Network/Mobile Network and make sure setting is on Automatic and if it is ret switching to home and reboot and see what happens..

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
*228 did not fix it.
However I did uninstall Google translate app and the text to speech plug-in and it ran fine at work all afternoon.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
*228 did not fix it.
However I did uninstall Google translate app and the text to speech plug-in and it ran fine at work all afternoon.

Now that a real strange one, I have Google Translator on my device and never seen that one, what made you think to try that?

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I went back in my mind trying to remember what the last app I installed was. It was these two, but I installed them over a week ago. Everything was fine until yesterday so I initially didn't give the apps a 2nd thought. Just took a stab at those and it seems to have been the culprit.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I went back in my mind trying to remember what the last app I installed was. It was these two, but I installed them over a week ago. Everything was fine until yesterday so I initially didn't give the apps a 2nd thought. Just took a stab at those and it seems to have been the culprit.

Shows that different apps can cause different outcomes on a device, glad to hear you got it straighten out :). By chance have you checked to see if the market is set to auto update because maybe a update came in automatically that caused the issue? The market has been reported as causing strange issues using auto update... Something to check.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38