Unrooting/back to stock?

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I am a newer droid user. Had my DX for about 2 months. A few weeks ago.. I made the leap and rooted. This was mainly for tether and freezing a few apps. Now.. before you call me a thief... I only tethered once and that was for about 2 seconds (one webpage) just to see if it actually worked. I haven't tethered since.

Anyway... with the recent info on VZ tracking rooted phones and watching tethering, etc... I really think I would just rather go back to stock. There are plenty of videos, etc on rooting.. but not a lot on un-rooting.

Here is what I have done. I installed Titanium Pro (and froze a few apps), I installed Astro File Manager, Wireless Tether, and rooted using Z4Root. I have no custom roms or anything else.

My question... how do I unroot and go back to stock? I know I can launch Z4 Root and just click on Un-root... but not sure if that will put everything back so I can get updates, etc.

Is it as simple as unfreezing the apps, uninstalling Titanium, Astro, Wireless Tether, then unrooting? After unrooting, can I uninstall Z4Root? I would prefer to have all evidence of root removed. I have seen some people say to flash back to stock. I have no idea what flashing means. I am not completely dumb... just extremely little experience with the whole phone thing.

Help?

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Thank you.

So... for SBFing back... are there any step-by-step instructions like there was for rooting? I don't even know what SBF means.. lol.

Finsol

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
An SBF is quite a task for a novice in the whole cellphone root jungle, if you screw up an SBF your phone turns into a paperweight. Here is the link to the newest full SBF.

Full .340 SBF

If that would be a little hardcore for you then you can download the Maderstcok.zip, it's basically a flashable SBF you can do through clockwork mod.

Maderstcok.zip click here

I have used it numerous times and it works great just make sure you follow the instructions to the T or else brick.

FYI it appears the way VZW is tracking rooted phones is by watching who updates and who doesn't when OTA's are released, so on rooted froyo you should be fine. GB will have the tracking built into the firmware which is no bueno.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Am I missing something here? The OP does not have a custom ROM, why would he have to sbf? Just unfreeze bloatware, uninstall wireless tether, and unroot. You will then be able to get the official OTA GB, correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Cyberchief,

I don't know all the acronyms either (SBF, ROM, etc). I wish someone would create a cheat sheet somewhere in this forum...LOL

However, I have come to know what they are associated with. SBF is basically going back to original stock condition, at least I am pretty sure. I've done it on two DX's and its actually not hard.

You need RSD Lite and the SBF file. The process is a little scary the first time and luckily I had a step by step cheat sheet I found somewhere online. But there is a good step by step guide on Youtube.

YouTube - How To SBF Droid X to full 2.3.340 sbf

I have all the files downloaded and am waiting for a little free time to make the jump to Gingerbread Rooted, once I know all the specifics about this new tracking deal inherent in Gingerbread.

I am currently running Froyo rooted with wireless tether. I use it very rarely because there is wifi everywhere I go. However, the few times I needed it, wireless tether was an actual REAL DEAL lifesaver.

I will actually create a step by step guide if I switch to GB rooted and save it as a word file. I will also keep all the goodies needed to make it happen. Most of the time people will sling the tech lingo all day and make you kill yourself online for hours figuring out how to actually do it yourself. Most of these so-called guides leave A LOT out of the process figuring people know all the little details. That is the culprit for most of the bricking. I went through it with my Blackberry but luckily I knew a big time guru. With the Android I am on my own.

Holla at me in a bit and I should have a sure fire guide for noobs like myself.

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I already uninstalled tether. I think I will just wait for the OTA update and unroot and take that. Thanks again!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I'm a little confused, though, since I haven't loaded a single custom ROM. I'm basically in the same boat as the OP in that I really only froze a few apps, and did nothing else. Wouldn't I just be able to unfreeze those apps, delete and uninstall any root apps, unroot via Z4 and be back to the status quo?

What am I missing here?

SouthernSaltine

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I'm a little confused, though, since I haven't loaded a single custom ROM. I'm basically in the same boat as the OP in that I really only froze a few apps, and did nothing else. Wouldn't I just be able to unfreeze those apps, delete and uninstall any root apps, unroot via Z4 and be back to the status quo?

What am I missing here?

I believe i am back to stock. Correct me if I'm wrong.
THIS IS WHAT I DID:::
I rooted using Z4, then Loaded Bootstrap (Did full backup) installed Liberty 1.5 ROM, then decided to go back to stock. (Side note... i had to go under liberty tweaks beforehand and select ORIGINAL BOOT LOADER LOGO for the ((M)) logo to show at boot before i restored the backup.. The first time i restored it would show the Liberty boot logo even after restoring the original backup) So i Restored my backup, uninstalled bootstrap, then unrooted in Z4, and removed Liberty ZIP from SD card This should have me back to stock from what I've read. This should be all you need to do, unless you have actually messed something up then you will need to SBF.. AM I CORRECT GUYS? I too am waiting on the official GB release, so i want to be ready..

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok, well I guess my question would be, if I didn't load a custom ROM, why would I need to do all the bootstrap/load SBF stuff? Wouldn't it be enough to just remove the frozen-ness of the apps, uninstall root apps, and unroot?

Thanks for your advice, though. I don't want to sound crass, I just don't understand why I should have to go through all those steps.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to go through all those steps. I got the OTA Froyo even though Eclair was rooted. I can't speak for frozen apps as I didn't have any frozen.

Despite all the talk to the contrary, I'm guessing you can get GB even if rooted. Of course with the update you will lose root.

SouthernSaltine

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, well I guess my question would be, if I didn't load a custom ROM, why would I need to do all the bootstrap/load SBF stuff? Wouldn't it be enough to just remove the frozen-ness of the apps, uninstall root apps, and unroot?

Thanks for your advice, though. I don't want to sound crass, I just don't understand why I should have to go through all those steps.

All you should have to do is "DEFROST" the apps. UNROOT and you should be good.. I think its when you start installing Custom ROMS is where problems can happen causing you to have to SBF..

I had loaded a ROM.
THIS IS WHAT I DID:::
I rooted using Z4, then Loaded Bootstrap (Did full backup) installed Liberty 1.5 ROM, then decided to go back to stock. (Side note... i had to go under liberty tweaks beforehand and select ORIGINAL BOOT LOADER LOGO for the ((M)) logo to show at boot before i restored the backup.. The first time i restored it would show the Liberty boot logo even after restoring the original backup) So i Restored my backup, uninstalled bootstrap, then unrooted in Z4, and removed Liberty ZIP from SD card This should have me back to stock from what I've read. This should be all you need to do, unless you have actually messed something up then you will need to SBF.. AM I CORRECT GUYS? I too am waiting on the official GB release, so i want to be ready..

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
All you should have to do is "DEFROST" the apps. UNROOT and you should be good.. I think its when you start installing Custom ROMS is where problems can happen causing you to have to SBF..

Awesome...that's what I was getting at. I wanted to make sure I didn't have to jump through 8 million hoops just to get back there. Thanks!

Finsol

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Am I missing something here? The OP does not have a custom ROM, why would he have to sbf? Just unfreeze bloatware, uninstall wireless tether, and unroot. You will then be able to get the official OTA GB, correct me if I am wrong.

Unrooting with Z4 will still leave traces of the root behind, I always thought this would cause issues when trying to install an OTA.

When people were installing the 2.2.1 update they unrooted through Z4 and were still unable to accept the update. Mostly everyone that ran into these issues had to SBF before taking the update, including me. He asked if he would need to be unrooted before accepting the OTA and those are the methods I'd use to unroot.

I can be totally wrong here I'm just going off of my personal experiences, take them with a grain of salt. Reading into more of the GB info waterfall it appears even if you're on prerooted GB you cans still accept the OTA, I dont know what to think anymore at this point.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa