Google Maps East-West Reversed

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm running rooted "official" Gingerbread and as with the prior Gingerbread leaks when using Google Maps East and West seem to reverse themselves but not North and South. This does not happen with the compass and when calibrated it shows right direction. The same goes for third party compass and GPS apps. Only Google Maps and Nav seem to be affected.

Is anybody else still encountering this problem? Has a solution been found?

I'd hate to be stuck on Froyo just because of this issue, but I do need this phone to work correctly in maps and as a GPS unit.

(if this has already been brought up with regards to the OTA GB release, please merge it with any existing threads. i searched briefly but did not notice any threads on this subject)

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
More information:

In Google Maps, east and west show up reversed when in portrait mode held either vertically or horizontally. North and south are reversed when the phone is in landscape mode and held horizontally. When held vertically in landscape all directions are displayed correctly.

The same issues show up in Google Sky Maps. Landscape is fine when the phone is held perpendicular to the ground, but it seems to get confused the second I start tilting it parallel to the ground.

None of this occurs in any third party compass app.

Reactions: ghbishop

ghbishop

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I am getting the same thing on Google Sky Maps with Official GB. Runs fine in landscape. But if you point at the horizon find East and then rotate the phone to portrait East changes to West. Pointing North or South and rotating does not do this.

How do get this "feature" in google maps?
I just get north at the top of the screen with any orientation.

11b2p

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
More information:

In Google Maps, east and west show up reversed when in portrait mode held either vertically or horizontally. North and south are reversed when the phone is in landscape mode and held horizontally. When held vertically in landscape all directions are displayed correctly.

The same issues show up in Google Sky Maps. Landscape is fine when the phone is held perpendicular to the ground, but it seems to get confused the second I start tilting it parallel to the ground.

None of this occurs in any third party compass app.

I am seeing the same thing in Google Maps and Google Sky.

I am running unrooted GB.

albertdc

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully once the release becomes truly official (still in pre-release "SOAP" right? ) there will be an update to Google Sky, Maps, and Nav to fix this. Would be crazy not to. Seems like a change was made in GB to the accelerometer that is messing with those programs. I just don't understand why the third party apps aren't affected....

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
pre-release "SOAK", yes, but this was an issue that was noticed when the first leaked gingerbread got into the hands of the public.

albertdc

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Yes, but no reason to release the update to maps, sky, etc until GB is officially actually released, right? What I'm guessing is that the solution lies in the Google mapping programs, not in GB itself...(edit:....since third party compass programs work fine, GB is doing SOMETHING correctly)

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
GB has been officially released. The Nexus One and S both have it as does the stupid Playstation phone.

I think he meant "officially released on the Droid X". Right now we're still in the "SOAK" pre-release of GB for the DX. Hopefully those of us having this issue will see updates to the Google location apps soon or it's right back to Froyo for me. *sigh*

booberthecat

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Is there any word out on a fix for this yet? What I can't believe is that this kind of bug ever got out the door. It's not some obscure subtle issue, it's a Droid X with vertigo! I know from the message chain it showed up in SOAK, but how did it ever get that far? Google OS and an incompatible Google stock app -- that's sad!

If anyone has any word on an update I'd appreciate knowing.

Thanks!

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Is there any word out on a fix for this yet? What I can't believe is that this kind of bug ever got out the door. It's not some obscure subtle issue, it's a Droid X with vertigo! I know from the message chain it showed up in SOAK, but how did it ever get that far? Google OS and an incompatible Google stock app -- that's sad!

If anyone has any word on an update I'd appreciate knowing.

Thanks!

It showed up well before SOAK, in the first gingerbread leak. You're right. The fact it's been a known issue this long is unacceptable.

booberthecat

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I hope this issue has not fallen off the radar. I'm still having problems with this and I can't seem to find any acknowledgement from Verizon, Google, or Motorola that the problem exists or any idea of what they intend to do or when they intend to fix it.

Anyone know something I don't about this?

Thanks!

Last edited:

revwill

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for staying on top of this, booberthecat. Here's the latest response from Google employee "MrEvan"

Ok folks,

So the engineers are on it and appear to have zeroed in on the problem. That's good. A fix should hopefully be coming sooner rather than later, but I don't have any concrete timing for you yet. I'm sure this is a pain, and if I were you, I'd want it resolved as soon as possible. I'll keep monitoring progress internally and circle back with you when I know more.

Best,
-MrEvan

I'm betting either the Google programs (maps, sky map, etc.) get an update that compensates for it, or we get some sort of OTA patch that fixes the issue.

booberthecat

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm really hoping it is a Google Maps issue and can just be fixed through an update to Maps in the Market. If we have to wait on Verizon and Motorola to sign off on an OTA update to the operating system we could be waiting for a while.