Google Maps Issue

kevb23

Jul 24, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone else have an issue while using google maps where the GPS seems to freak out and bounce around between north and west it's like its having issues knowing where I am.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Does anyone else have an issue while using google maps where the GPS seems to freak out and bounce around between north and west it's like its having issues knowing where I am.
Haven't used mine recently, but you can calibrate it

Mathrania

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
Yes, that happens with me on my S10+. I just live with that, but i know gps is not the best on Samsung devices... Had similar issues with my note 9.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Neither have I, on my old Samsung phones, or my Pixel. If you're under heavy tree cover, you might lose the GPS signals (you're receiving them directly from the satellites). If you're in a large metro area, with a lot of tall skyscrapers, you might be getting multipath interference (the signal is arriving at the phone from the satellite and from a few reflections from buildings at the same time) - and since GPS depends on about 1 part in 10^-9 seconds, any delay in one of those signals can have you supposedly bouncing all over the place. If there's a heavy storm overhead, you can be having both problems, as some signals disappear, and others bounce off clouds.

Install GPS Status & Toolbox so that you can see exactly what happening. If the DOP (Dilution Of Precision) or HDOP (Horizontal DOP) is large (2 or more), the accuracy is going to be affected. That's due to the conditions - there's nothing anyone can do about it. (Even the military can't - if the HTOP at a target is 20 or so, due to a storm overhead, a missile can hit the wrong part of town. Since President Clinton, we're getting the same accuracy as the military, unless they have a fixed receiver at the site that knows its location and can keep broadcasting the "GPS location", so a GPS receiver with a channel to monitor that can correct for the error.)

Unfortunately, cellphones don't have additional receivers to monitor these correction transmissions, so we get what we get.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I had an issue earlier where I couldnt get it to start my direction route it worked fine when connected to android auto.

I'll have to check app permissions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JT1981