Headphone Jack Troubles

mrchnd

Mar 31, 2010
www.mrchnd.com
Has anyone else experienced issues with their headphone jack? Last week, my headphone jack started acting flaky.

While listening to a podcast (doggcatcher), music would start playing randomly (so I thought). I investigated a little bit and it seemed that my phone thought I unplugged my headphones. I found that I could cause this to happen by wiggling the headphone plug - it would either cause static, volume changes or make the phone think I unplugged it. Once I experienced my first problems, my DX2 would be unusable for listening to audio.

I exchanged my orginal (just under a month old) DX2 for another one at Best Buy Mobile. One day later, with a new phone, the symptoms started again.

I have experimented with different headphones, and even different audio cables.

Is this a known issue or am I just having bad luck? I don't want to keep exchanging my phone every week/month.

DROIDFANX2

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I find that I have the same problem as you. I noticed it since day one. I figured it was just the cheap headphones I was using so I ordered some $80 IEM's and it seems to be better. It only happens once in a while. The only time I really notice it is when I'm jogging. Sometimes the cord gets jerked while it's plugged into the 3.5 or something and the music stutters and then quits until I hit play again. By the way, I only use Pandora to listen to music. What really stumps me is that I've never had a problem while watching a YouTube video...or any video/movie for that matter. Of course, I don't watch videos while I'm working out or jogging, so it may not be exposed to the same conditions, but I can twist and wiggle the plug while it's in the jack with no problems what so ever while watching a video....... I'm no expert, but if I had to guess, I would think it's just some weird problem with the software. Maybe the Gingerbread update will fix it slightly, but since that is anybodies guess as to when that is being released... I'm just gonna root mine with Gingerbreak and supercharge it because I've heard from multiple sources that this will fix that problem and any others you have as well. I hope this helps a little and if anything just lets you know that your not alone when it comes to this issue.

caese27

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
and i thought I was going crazy.....I have had 3 droid x2's returned back to Verizon through Assurion for the same problem. Its always the headphone jack. Causes my latest x2 to 'ghost dial' the last number on my call list....it will dial the number repeatedly until I take out the headphone jack and manually end the call. I have even been shocked, literally electrically shocked in my ear from the headphones from time to time, have 4 or 5 pair, and like I said.....as i type this I am waiting for my 3rd replacement in the mail, should be arriving before 3:00 pm. Will update on the status of new replacement phone. Getting ridiculous, maybe i should have got an iPhone.

zakur

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Droid X & X2 both have history of wonky audio jacks. I have experienced intermittent static problems on both, but it was merely an annoyance for me, not a game changer. I've read reviews from serious audiophiles, though, who said they would never buy another Motorola product again because of it.

I now have Bluetooth phones and speakers, so I rarely use the audio jack on my X2. Problem solved. ;)

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have had my X2 since June and use it probably daily in my car and at work for audio and have never had any issues. Maybe it was a problem with later batches. I am getting a replacement under warranty tomorrow though and now I'm worried. :(

johncihak

Banned
Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Pretty much every Chinese made Android phones sources the same jack. I had the same problem with my original Droid. The jack became loose and intermittent in a couple of months. Its just plain cheap. The only company that specs a different audio jack is Apple.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much every Chinese made Android phones sources the same jack. I had the same problem with my original Droid. The jack became loose and intermittent in a couple of months. Its just plain cheap. The only company that specs a different audio jack is Apple.

... from Foxconn.

Morellio

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Just had this happen with my Droid X2. It was sitting on my desk and I wasn't even moving around, when it said voice mode was activated an continually ghost dialed my last called number. I rebooted it, the same thing happened, then the headphone jack stopped working completely. The phone recognizes when my headphones are plugged in (if I unplug them the song playing pauses) but there is dead silence when the song should be playing. This is the native music player for playing songs off of my flash.

Also noticed when I use the car charger that came with it, there would be a lot of audible interference over the headphone jack.

Haven't found a solution, other than to get another phone.

:mad:

BudderInferno

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I used to have the problem which my X2 ghost demon dialed the number I had last called. I found a solution, and it can be cheap, but not necessarily. The solution is to get new headphones that do not have a microphone built in. It might not work for you, but it did for me.