Can I record my synth into my Note 9 using a line-in on the headphone jack?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello Android Community:

I have a Note 9 (SM-N960U; Hardware Version REV1.1; Android V10, One UI V2.5, Baseband V N960USQS9FVC5, Kernel V 4.9.186) and am wondering if i plug my CASIO SA-76 into my Note 9 using a patch cable running into the headphone jack, would I be able to record the audio from it? Or would I need some a certain kind of connector?

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
The headphone jack won't work out for what you want. It's an audio-out only port, there is no line-in port.
Your Note 9 does have a USB Type-C port though, that 'might' be able to record your Casio's output, but you'll likely need to do few tests and swapping brands to find a Type-C converter/adapter that will work those two devices. And then a recording app that'll work with that setup.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The headphone jack won't work out for what you want. It's an audio-out only port, there is no line-in port.
Your Note 9 does have a USB Type-C port though, that 'might' be able to record your Casio's output, but you'll likely need to do few tests and swapping brands to find a Type-C converter/adapter that will work those two devices. And then a recording app that'll work with that setup.

It does have a monoaural mic in as well as stereo out, but you're correct that it is not a line-in and can't record an instrument.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Monoaural mic being a reference to the integral mic that's in all our smartphones or a kinda/sorta reference to the the USB Type-C port? Otherwise, where on a Note 9 is a such a separate, dedicated mic port?
https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/...200309_WAC/device_layout_d1e5090.html#d1e5090

It doesn't have a separate mic port lol, the 3.5 mm headphone jack can accept a plug that has an extra ring for a monoaural mic which is attached at some point to the cable of the headphones so that you can use it to make calls.

The 3.5 mm jack on the bottom of a phone is technically not a headphone port, but a headset port.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire