Thinking of switching to a Droid

elir41

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I have had the Incredible since launch day, and although it is an awesome device (especially coming from a BB), there are a few things about the Droid that seem to have that the Incredible lacks.

Some might be really minor things, but to me, I tend to use them often. So, I have a few points about the Droid, along with some questions that I want to ask Droid owners.

1. First and foremost, what EVERYONE already knows and heard - Battery life. I can't make a full day on the Incredible without having to charge mid-day. My habits are of a "power user", so I can understand that the battery isn't going to last me all day, but does the Droid have a better battery life? With and without overclocking? My job requires me to be out of office on somedays, and won't be around a charger (I do have a car charger, but not enough time to get a good charge). Seidio has an extended battery, but I hear a lot of mixed reviews that it's not that much of an upgrade in battery life.

2. That brings me to my next question, coming from a BB platform, I understand "rooting" is the equivalent to "jailbreaking" an iphone? With this done to a Droid, what are the pros and cons to it? Obviously, a faster phone, right? Any downsides to it? As in frying the phone over time, or it getting too hot?

3. Screen visability. Now, going into purchasing this phone, I read reviews that the screen was going to be a little hard to read in daylight, outside. It's not too bad, but I was hoping to get a car dock for it to use the navigation, but as of right now, it's a little hard to read in my car. Another thing, is I take my dogs for walks in the afternoons, and this NM sun doesn't help at all with the screen. Is the Droid's screen more "readable" outside?

4. Desktop Charging. Coming from a BB Tour, I had a charging dock that I would use by my night stand at night, where my Tour would double as a night clock (bedside mode), and an alarm clock. The Droid has a multi-media dock, which is really nice. The Incredible is getting one, also, but from what I've read, the Incredible doesn't have the option to go into bedside mode once placed in the dock. This is a small thing, because of course, I can just manually put it into night mode, but this also goes for the car dock, with it not being able to be put into car mode.

Don't get me wrong, the Incredible is an awesome phone. It's fast, has a lot of personal custom scenes that you can use, the camera and camcorder isn't too shabby, either.

Thanks in advance!

R

Roy Aguilera

1) The Incredible Seidio battery is great, yet the Droid battery life was never an issue (for me atleast). You really can't go wrong with either.

2) You can find a ton of info on root in the motorola roms/hacks forum. There is a couple of stickies in there also. Please read those, they should clear any questions you have up.

3) Altough some claim its similar, I can honestly say that the Droids screen does better in dirrect sunlight.

4) They Droid and it's docks are awesome. You would love it.

Sounds like it's the phone for you.;)

Last edited:

Latin559

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
a power user will drain the battery quick. i have to charge my phone once a day at work too. so i doubt that will be any different from what ur gettin with the incredible. im a power user always in my right hand. emails, constant internet use, directions, calls. and i use up quite a bit of battery. anybody that tells you, theyre a power user with god battery life. i can assure you they consider facebook and myspace power using the phone.

the screen while it might be better then the incredible its still hard to read in sunlight.

rooting is good for one thing, the better speed. u can get themed unrooted. overclocking will kill the lifespan of your phone.

but the speed make it worth it. but when 2.2 comes out i think im saying bye to root.

elir41

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses, gentlemen!

You both made some valid and great points. I even forgot to mention that 2.2 will more likely come to the Droid before the Incredible, or so I've read.

I think at this point, the only thing keeping me in the Incredible is the speed and the camera, but the Droid seems to be a better fit for me overall. I've only played with the Droid through a friend who owns one, but isn't a "techie" and it's all stock, minus different wallpaper.

I also read about the Droid 2 coming out, but read that it's not too much of an improvement over the first. Can anyone elaborate any more info on it?

Thanks again everyone! I know this subject has been beat over and over for the last 3 weeks, and i'm sure for a lot of you, it's getting old hearing from us noobs. lol Truly appreciated!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
With wifi off I can get through a workday on my incredible.
It won't reach BB battery life, though as BB's are special like that.
In sunlight, my screen is hard to read if it's a dark background, but when it's white, not an issue.

specops2k3

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I had a droid first and then bought the incredible on launch day also. after having the incredible for a week a returned it and went back to my droid. I love the car dock and multimedia docks for it. As well as the overall robustness of the phone.

Kainz15

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a droid currently and will be switching to the incredible actually. From what I hear the battery life isn't THAT much worse on the incredible, and I'll have places to charge it throughout the day anyways. For me, one of the hardest decisions was the lack of a physical keyboard on the incredible, but since I had an iPhone before the Droid, I'm used to not having one.