Will Android 2.1 get a...

Mrwatch921

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
A newer keyboard?. After watching some of the videos of the Nexus one,

it seems like there will be a new keyboard, unless its just a skin for that phone only.

How many think we will see a new keyboard?

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm running the 2.1 nexus dump on my droid now and the keyboard is exactly the same. Only difference is it now has a voice search button you can use. When pressed, you can just speak and it will try and put the correct text in there. Main differences as you all see in the video are new home launcher, 5 screens, new app drawer, live wallpapers. Really nothing else that I've found.

Mrwatch921

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm running the 2.1 nexus dump on my droid now and the keyboard is exactly the same. Only difference is it now has a voice search button you can use. When pressed, you can just speak and it will try and put the correct text in there. Main differences as you all see in the video are new home launcher, 5 screens, new app drawer, live wallpapers. Really nothing else that I've found.

If that is the stock keyboard, where are the two gaps on the left and right side

on the second row? (Am i missing something here) ?

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
what time in the youtube is it when u see this. I quickly looked through the video and found keyboard used around 1:50. And I do not see any gap. All I know is that on the 2.1 dump i have which is supposedly the nexus dump, the keyboard is the same.

Mrwatch921

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
what time in the youtube is it when u see this. I quickly looked through the video and found keyboard used around 1:50. And I do not see any gap. All I know is that on the 2.1 dump i have which is supposedly the nexus dump, the keyboard is the same.

At 1:42 in the video above, when he opens the browser.

You can tell that is not the stock keyboard, because there

is no gap to the left and right like on the stock keyboard.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm using 2.1 and as of now there is no change to the on screen keyboard. I'm assuming that they still will be changes from what I'm using compared to the official release.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
maybe im on crack, but i checked the youtube video again. 1:42 was the exact thing i saw as well. I do not see the spaces you mention AND that is the same keyboard I have on my 2.1 build. The only difference is the voice search key.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
nvm: i see u mean the spaces are gone in that image, i was looking for the spaces. The difference is that what you see in the youtube video is that its not qwerty layout. so it very well could be better keyboard or some other app.

motodroid.md

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
we use a qwerty keyboard in the US. if you notice he is using a different style keyboard in the video, look closely it begins with the letter "a" that might throw off the alignment from what everyone in here is used to seeing.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
To those who are using 2.1 right now on their phones. Have you noticed if scrolling speeds on the web browser are any quicker? Right now on my Droid, scrolling is horrendously slow since the 2.0.1 update

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38