Adding music and phone speed

boddah

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone, I couldn't find this after a forum search so here I am... does anyone know if loading the SD card with mp3s will slow down the phone? Presumably the answer is "no", so more specifically, does it slow down the phone at any point like specifically during startup or during shutdown or if I'm doing something else on the phone while listening to music, etc.?

And just so I get a clearer answer, if you're kind enough to respond, can you also mention how many apps you've downloaded and approximately how many mp3s you have on the SD card? That way if your phone has slowed down but you have 1,000 apps then we can't be certain if the decrease in speed is music caused or mp3 caused. Thanks a lot!

mjones73

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
There's no reason the phone should slow down because you have a certain number of mp3 files on the microsd card, it's only reading whatever you're listening to. Does your computer slow down when you load 1000 mp3's on the hard drive vs 100? Likewise having a large number of apps installed shouldn't matter either, it's only what's currently running that impacts the performance of the phone.

Donkey Hodie

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I have about 2 gig of mp3's on my SD card but not a huge number of apps beyond those that come standard on the phone, perhaps 20 or so. I used the phone for a week or so before I loaded the mp3's and didn't notice any difference in startup, application loading, etc., regardless of whether mp3's were playing or not though I admit that's not something I do a lot of as I usually only listen to mp3's while exercising so the only other thing I'm doing is sweating :D

boddah

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

@mjones73: what you said makes perfect sense. That's why I specifically asked about startup or shutdown in case it does something weird (like loading databases or something, I don't know) during specific operations that winds up using a lot of the processor. So I was just making sure. Both of your feedback is much appreciated and thanks to both of you!

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
It sounds like you are coming from a BB Storm (like me). Memory management on the Storm was something you had to.
On android OS, memory management is not something you have to worry about. On my droid, I have gone days with having many apps open and closed without having the phone slow down. I have about 8 gigs of podcasts, Pictures, Music, and other Audio Books on my SD card.

boddah

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
San Juan, you're absolutely right. I came from a Storm so that's one reason why I'm concerned. Besides that I always try go get optimal performance out of my electronics in general (I've only downloaded one app so far for example). I may be going overboard a little with the worry but I really wanted to make sure. Thanks for the info!

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
One thing I've noticed about this phone, is that it seems to run the same (fast) no matter what I have open or how much have loaded on it. I used to have a WM Touch Pro 2, and while I appreciated it's a ability to run multiple apps, I got used to having a task manager to close apps when they weren't needed. Otherwise, the performance would drop and it would eventually require a soft reset. I've never had to worry about that with the Droid.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Me2s