factory reset

emdee81

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi all!

My old droid is acting sluggish lately (hurry up thunderbolt...). Anyway, I'm having memory issues as well, and I'm constantly getting messages that my storage is low and text messages are being rejected due to memory issues as well.

My question is this; should I factory reset my phone? I'm constantly deleting apps and texts but its not helping.

If a factory reset is best, what do I need to do step by step i.e. apps, files, pics?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi all!

My old droid is acting sluggish lately (hurry up thunderbolt...). Anyway, I'm having memory issues as well, and I'm constantly getting messages that my storage is low and text messages are being rejected due to memory issues as well.

My question is this; should I factory reset my phone? I'm constantly deleting apps and texts but its not helping.

If a factory reset is best, what do I need to do step by step i.e. apps, files, pics?

first question would be , are you rooted?

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted, use an application called Titanium Backup to back up all of your apps and data for them. Now, it could be one of those apps is corrupted and causing your problems.

Remember, your paid apps are linked to your gmail account so you can simply re-download those and not have to pay for them again without backing anything up.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That should revert the phone to its original state, thus.. clearing off everything on the device. I'm not sure if it delete pics though.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
To make any sort of app back up, I believe you'll need root access. Click Settings, About Phone, and tell us what Android Version and Build Number you're on. Depending on which version, you'll use a different root method.

Or, if you do not wish to root, you can do a factory wipe and re-install all the apps manually.

emdee81

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm probably not going to root the phone, so I will back up all my pics and other info onto my pc.

I'll let you know how it goes...

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm probably not going to root the phone, so I will back up all my pics and other info onto my pc.

I'll let you know how it goes...

you could try z4root it has a temporary root access and its a one click deal, just sideload the app and click temp root option

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
You can also use a free ap called appbackup and restore from the market. It backs up your apps to the sd card and once you factory reset you can just install that one app to re-install the rest.

Sploinkin

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Why backup your apps unless you want to save your Angry Birds progress?

I like SMS Backup & Restore for texts, and I use Launcher Pro and its backup options to save the layout of my homescreens.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

It will certainly give you a clean slate to work with. However, if your issue is due to apps that you've loaded and the way you configured them and you just end up setting it up exactly the same way then you'll end up with the same problem.

I'd recommend looking at your specific situation and addressing the problems. Or at least trying to take a look. If your storage is low then it's due to installed apps, their cache and their data. That's a fairly straightforward problem to address. See what's using up your space. People seem to often overlook cache and data and fixate on number of installed apps.

cwescapexlt4x4

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Well just did the factory reset.... crossing fingers that the "important" stuff was backed up and will also resync... time will tell.

D1 was lagging too frequently, random reboots, blank "home screens" after some app useage and such!

cwescapexlt4x4

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Well, somethings not back to how they should be after the reset.
Any clock widget i place on the "home" screen will NOT show 24 hour, but the time in the status bar at top sure does show the 24 hour. Frustrating! It does seem faster now thou. I may uninstall the apps and reinstall them and try that.