Locating text messages on Samsung phone

bradkusik

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Hello All,

I'm trying to understand how and where text messages are stored on a Samsung phone. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S9+. I'm trying to understand where each messaging app, ex., Samsung Messages, Textra, etc. finds these messages when they are changed to the default app. I want to access the main folder or location on my phone to preserve all text messages, before I delete the text messaging apps. My phone is flaking out and I'm not consistently able to send and receive texts. I know I need a new phone and it might be a memory problem, but I'd like to factory reset my phone in one last effort to keep it around a little longer. Yes, I am aware of some back up apps, such as, SMS Back Up & Restore, which I think is great. Anyway, any suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Brad

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I'm using a s9+.
I use 3 different text apps. Samsung, Signal and Google.
Each stores its own data. You can see this by going to settings, apps, messages/signal etc.
Using smart switch should move everything over, and before that do a full backup.
Hope this answers your question, if not post what you use and how you can't find it.
Good luck

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that database is controlled by the Android system and only accessible to what Android allows. That's limited to SMS/MMS/messaging apps and backup apps given the proper permissions. All those apps, whether it's a phone's stock app like Samsung Messages, Google messages, or something like Textra, they all access the same database. On my Samsung phone, I use Textra. but if I open the Samsung Messages apps, the same list of conversations are already there even though I didn't use it for any of those conversations.