Straight up question.. when the hell are we getting Gingerbread?!

Sploinkin

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Hahaha you think the OG Droid will get Gingerbread from Verizon? Not likely at all for a phone that is almost 15 months old.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The original Droid will most likely not receive Gingerbread as an official update. You will more than likely need to root and flash a custom rom in order to get the 2.3 experience.

Just a question for all of you rooted Droid users, how is CM7 running on your devices? I am running it on my DInc and it is smooth as butter and I was thinking about putting it on my sister's bf's droid. It is probably one of the best roms out for the Droid but just curious if it lags or are the transitions almost seamless.

Sploinkin

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It is probably the smoothest, best battery life, and best experimental rom I've run. No major problems that would keep me from using it as a daily driver.

zero3187

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping that the Droid would get gingerbread but I don't imagine it will. I hate the fact that the hardware is advancing so quickly that a phone that I bought only a year ago is basically outdated... Oh well I guess. Looks like I might have to look into ROMs

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping that the Droid would get gingerbread but I don't imagine it will. I hate the fact that the hardware is advancing so quickly that a phone that I bought only a year ago is basically outdated... Oh well I guess. Looks like I might have to look into ROMs

its really not much different from any other electro gadget thing. my pc is only a few months old, yet will be outdated before long. I think its pretty amazing that the og droid really hasn't become obsolete yet, and it won't until dual core phones start becoming the norm....as long as you don't mind rooting and running custom roms.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
CM7 nightlies have been pretty smooth for me, there are a couple of things lacking that I don't like. No lighted soft keys and landscape orientation has to have keyboard open.

That may have been fixed recently, but I have not been running the nightlies for a few days.

EDIT: Just installed build 21 and both the issues I mentioned have been fixed. LOL

Last edited:

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
To the OP,

Gingerbread has just been released not to long ago from Google. The Nexus One hasn't even gotten it yet. If the Droid does get an official update, it will be one of the first on Verizon, but the hardware is getting old.