droid died yesterday

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
We had to replace my wife's Droid the same day we bought it (an issue with the proximity sensor that caused the screen to turn off when in direct sunlight during a call, even when it wasn't next to your face and even aftee the call was ended). They gave her a new phone, with the new box and all, right then and there (a few hours after we bought it). Of course, we needed the box to get the rebate.

I had to exchange my Storm twice. In both cases, they had to be shipped to me, and they were both brand new phones. Before that, I had to make a warranty exchange of my Moto Razr and they gave me a brand new phone from the store. I've never been given a refurb phone as a warranty replacement by VZW. Go figure.

-SR-

G

GenericMessage

We had to replace my wife's Droid the same day we bought it (an issue with the proximity sensor that caused the screen to turn off when in direct sunlight during a call, even when it wasn't next to your face and even aftee the call was ended). They gave her a new phone, with the new box and all, right then and there (a few hours after we bought it). Of course, we needed the box to get the rebate.

I had to exchange my Storm twice. In both cases, they had to be shipped to me, and they were both brand new phones. Before that, I had to make a warranty exchange of my Moto Razr and they gave me a brand new phone from the store. I've never been given a refurb phone as a warranty replacement by VZW. Go figure.

-SR-

If they where shipped, they where refurbs.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Just for the record.... I have always received excellent customer service from Verizon. They don't seem to be the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. But, they're always helpful and kind.

And also just for the record.... It would be great if replacement phones were brand new. But, refurbed phones aren't junk. They weren't put together with twine and chewing gum. I've used warranty replacements that were refurbs in the past and they performed admirably. Just because a phone is new doesn't mean it's error free. If that was the case, you wouldn't be utilizing the warranty service anyhow. Don't be hating on refurbs. They're Androids with feelings too.

MckeanOne

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
certified like new #4

First, I have nothing against refurbs as long as they work and they are not busted like the three phones I received so far. It was getting ridiculous to go back to store each time for a replacement that out of frustration I wanted to scream "give me a new one!"

As for the battery pulls, I had no other option and did not know about the reset option with the manual keyboard. I will remember it for the future.

As for overheating and 3D HR baseball, I got a refund after my first phone died. I think I will avoid apps that cook my Droid at his point.

As for phone #4, minus some minor little dings and a small space between the top of the battery casing/door and the plastic piece that includes the camera lens, I am so far happy with this phone. I went through 4 refurbs at the store to get to this one as the other three had issues from dust under the glass screen, clicking issues when touching the touch screen (just like my early refurbs), and/or major cosmetic issues like big dents, scratches, or major dust around the screen. Just do not opt for a refurb to be mailed to you...go to a corporate store and make sure you get a good one.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I guess the company Verizon uses to refurbish phones is sort of hit or miss. I've had good success and I've heard from many others that they've had good luck with replacements that weren't brand new. Sounds like you had a few "misses". It sort of defeats the point of a "refurbished" phone if it has dents and scratches. Well, I'm glad it worked out in the end - but, what a mess and an ordeal you had to go thru to get satisfaction. Sorry you had to deal with that.

MckeanOne

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I guess the company Verizon uses to refurbish phones is sort of hit or miss. I've had good success and I've heard from many others that they've had good luck with replacements that weren't brand new. Sounds like you had a few "misses". It sort of defeats the point of a "refurbished" phone if it has dents and scratches. Well, I'm glad it worked out in the end - but, what a mess and an ordeal you had to go thru to get satisfaction. Sorry you had to deal with that.

I hope this is not a miss as well...I wonder who handles the refurbs as the ones I examined were pathetic. I even pointed out the problems to the rep and he even agreed they were subpar. He was really accommodating. I did feel bad when I kept on asking him to show me another phone again and again...

ethant

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I went in to exchange my Droid within my initial 30 days and the rep brought out a refurb even though I had requested a new phone. He went on to tell me that this was new and that there were no refurbs in for Droid's yet because it was a new phone (this was a few weeks ago...).

I figured he was straight up lying to me but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. He handed the refurb to me and immediately problems were apparent. The ear piece was full of dust and hair and was just plain nasty. The physical keyboard had all kinds of dust and grime on it and the d-pad was badly scratched. I went to the manager and said this was clearly not a new phone despite what the rep said and demanded to have a device in new retail packaging, which they did. I can only hope that if I need to get an FRU in the future it's in better shape then the one I briefly had (and that are being described in this thread).

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Man this thread freaks me out! Yesterday, for some reason, my Droid decided it was going to power cycle repeatedly. Now I can't even get it to turn on AT ALL!!! I have to take it in to VZW. I don't want a crappy phone... :(

MckeanOne

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Man this thread freaks me out! Yesterday, for some reason, my Droid decided it was going to power cycle repeatedly. Now I can't even get it to turn on AT ALL!!! I have to take it in to VZW. I don't want a crappy phone... :(

So far my "certified like-new" phone #4 is working fine. Like I said earlier the only minor issues are very small scratches on the black casing that does not bother me since my first phone got some dents by my own fault. So, it is a fair trade. Just remember to see a refurb in person and review carefully before they start the process of switching phones. I would call tech support first so they can note that you did everything to fix it and they can then check which store has refurbs in stock and how many. Good luck.