Will a frozen app from Titanium cause OTA upgrade issues?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I know that if you delete or re-name a bloatware app, it has to be replaced or re-named back to its original name before you can even have an OTA upgrade show up as available. What if you freeze some bloatware with Titanium? If you were not running a custom rom and had only frozen a few apps, could you still download an OTA upgrade, or would you have to un-freeze the apps first?

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I know that if you delete or re-name a bloatware app, it has to be replaced or re-named back to its original name before you can even have an OTA upgrade show up as available. What if you freeze some bloatware with Titanium? If you were not running a custom rom and had only frozen a few apps, could you still download an OTA upgrade, or would you have to un-freeze the apps first?

I think you know this answer already .....but just for entertainment........yes you have to defrost them. (right?)

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Depends on the update and the users phone. With the last OTA on the DX 2.3.340 some people were able to just unfreeze the bloat and update while others had problems but yes as stated above you need to "defrost" LOL.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah be interesting because I had some apps froze when I was on stock rom and the apps I had froze was in market, if I clicked on the market app it showed the uninstall button like it knew I had the app even when froze.

But I haven't had any OS updates to actually test out that theory :)

Sent using TaPaTaLk

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah be interesting because I had some apps froze when I was on stock rom and the apps I had froze was in market, if I clicked on the market app it showed the uninstall button like it knew I had the app even when froze.

But I haven't had any OS updates to actually test out that theory :)

Sent using TaPaTaLk

Bloatware apps would only effect OTA upgrades.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I wish VZW would just allow users to update the phone without the bloatware and ability for us to uninstall them....