Probably a stupid question...

ndwatkins

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm really sorry in advance, but I was looking around the stickies and couldn't find specific instructions for how to sbf a phone. Mine is running Liberty 1.5 and is fine, but I just wanted to have everything prepared in case I do screw something up at some point. From what I understand, RSD Lite is a program I will run on my PC, and even if my phone is off, I can still use it by holding the volume buttons down and turning the phone on. I'm a little confused about a couple of things. Where do I put the sbf file? Does that stay on my computer, and do I run it with the RSD Lite program, or do I put it on my phone? Do I need a specific program on my phone? I have bootstrapper, but from what I also understand, the sbf file is not something you run via bootstrapper.

All that said, if I do screw up my phone, and need to sbf, how do I wipe the data cache and everything to install it if my phone won't turn on?

Again, I'm really sorry about my dumb questions, and the instructions are probably in an obvious place, but I just don't want to google search and follow the wrong instructions when/if the time comes and completely break my phone. I love this community and how helpful everyone is, so I thought I'd post here. :) Thanks all!

SYL

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Did you make a Nandroid backup? I personally am not entirely sure how to SBF a phone, but if you just make a nandroid backup of your phone while it is still stock, it is much faster and easier to restore. You don't require a computer for nandroid's either.

I am assuming you did make a nandroid before you rommed?

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I would bet he did, but he's making sure he's prepared in case something happens that prevents him from booting into recovery which means he couldn't flash that backup.

SYL

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I would bet he did, but he's making sure he's prepared in case something happens that prevents him from booting into recovery which means he couldn't flash that backup.

mmm that would make sense, though I haven't encountered that situation yet, despite my large amount of flashing ^^

ndwatkins

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I did indeed make a nandroid backup :) And yeah, my concern was mostly what to do if I couldn't get into boot recovery. I'm hoping it will never happen, but I'd like to be prepared! I'm somewhat new to Android, but I consider myself more than moderately good with computers, though not anywhere near my husband. Still, I love messing with root on my phone and I know from reading in here...sometimes bad things happen. :(

In the meantime, I'll keep looking around! Thanks for the replies so far :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SYL

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I had never really thought about it. I have an SBF file sitting on my computer so i guess if that does ever happen, I'll come back here and figure out how to use it :D

ndwatkins

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much for that link! Exactly what I was looking for. Will bookmark, much appreciated!

ndwatkins

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Semi-related topic : do you all who are using Liberty have Recovery Safe Mode checked just in case?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45