Rooting and Warranty

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
So being as how the bootload is locked, does rooting actually void the warranty? When I had my Nexus One, it was the act of unlocking the bootloader that voided the warranty.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
When you unroot your X there's no way to know that it was rooted in the first place. Just make sure you unroot and wipe data. Obviously change boot logos/animations too

DXmeatclaws via talkatap

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
it will void warranty if you try and return it rooted or with any bloatware removed... as long as you return it to stock, there is no way of verizon ever knowing it was rooted, and furthermore their techs are too dumb to figure it out...

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I have done this more than once, SBF, due to hardware issues, Radio, Headphone jack, but I wonder if there is a loophole being as how one doesn't unlock the bootloader.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
This falls under the stature of modifying of device software without permission... I don't remember the exact wording and location but this is included in any and all contracts related to the electronic industry.

"Unauthorized Service or Modification. Defects or damages resulting from service, testing, adjustment, installation, maintenance, alteration, or modification in any way by someone other than Motorola, or its authorized service centers, are excluded from coverage."

I guess this would be the catch all.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'd un-root, but I honestly think you could send one back fully rooted and ROM'd, and nobody would notice or care. My guess is, they pile all the returned phones in similar model piles and have some re-tard wipe the phone with the latest sbf. If it starts back up, they put through a series of standardized test, gets a new skin and goes to packaging for refurb shipments. About 60 days after a phone hits the stores, they only care about whatever model is coming out next.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I just flash to stock, just to be on the safe side. But if it is a hardware problem like a cracked screen or back. I don't bother at all.

Sent by my droid

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
"Unauthorized Service or Modification. Defects or damages resulting from service, testing, adjustment, installation, maintenance, alteration, or modification in any way by someone other than Motorola, or its authorized service centers, are excluded from coverage."

I guess this would be the catch all.

BAM BAM :confused:... YOU HIT IT ON THE HEAD... :D

I'd un-root, but I honestly think you could send one back fully rooted and ROM'd, and nobody would notice or care. My guess is, they pile all the returned phones in similar model piles and have some re-tard wipe the phone with the latest sbf. If it starts back up, they put through a series of standardized test, gets a new skin and goes to packaging for refurb shipments. About 60 days after a phone hits the stores, they only care about whatever model is coming out next.

I wouldn't chance getting that surprise 600.00 retail price pop up on your bill for the device if they do detect it was still rooted, there is reports of some users getting surprised. Its not worth it if you can convert back clean in a few minutes.

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not worried about it, I always sbf before I send back, been having had luck with refurbs, I was just wondering how other people read the warranty agreement.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I have never restored to stock, I have sent back blackberries, an OG droid or 2 and a couple of Dxs with what ever was on them and never heard anything. Sometimes I had no choice because problems with the phone prevented it.

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I have never restored to stock, I have sent back blackberries, an OG droid or 2 and a couple of Dxs with what ever was on them and never heard anything. Sometimes I had no choice because problems with the phone prevented it.

I'm sure 99% of the time they don't even look at they, but I think I have a Target on my back now because a VZW employee didn't like my comments on Twitter, I think she reported me because I said I was sbf'ing my old DX and rooting my warranty replacement but whatever they can't prove it. Not my fault the refurbs have hardware issues. I guess thats what I get for using my full name on Twitter lol

Last edited: