Will the Xoom get Ice Cream Sandwich?

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Will the Xoom get Ice Cream Sandwich, and will it be the first tablet to have it?

It's sort of a fading memory (already), but Google did buy Motorola Mobility (which includes those units responsible for the Xoom), so one might think that the Xoom would be the first (aka guinea pig) for testing out ISC-for-tablets.

They've got 3.2.2 running well on the Xoom at this point (are the Samsung 10.1s still on 3.1?), so it would seem that most of the critical hardware-OS interactions are already well known and accounted for.

I'd say it looks pretty good for the Xoom getting it, and getting it early, as it appears that ICS is based on Honeycomb, with provisions for scaling-down to run on a phone.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
The xoom is almost a nexus device, first honeycomb, pure vanilla, worked closely with google. It should get it pretty soon.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

JerryRogan

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
You might want to check a story on CNN.com. They are saying doubtful.

Tablets may have to wait for Jelly Bean - based on a Google interview.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
The Xoom is testing with ICS now.. the age of a tablet and phone os are over.. expect information after the Galaxy Nexus launches..

You are the MAN!!!

My guess is the WiFi Xooms will be first, followed by the 3G and LTE Xooms. Too bad VZW has to approve the build.

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I received an email from the Motorola Owners forum about being part of a test group, but when I filled out the survey, it said I didn't qualify. Maybe that was for an ICS test group.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I received an email from the Motorola Owners forum about being part of a test group, but when I filled out the survey, it said I didn't qualify. Maybe that was for an ICS test group.

You didn't qualify because you upgraded to LTE already. As I understand it they were looking for 3G Xoomers.

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I'd say it looks pretty good for the Xoom getting it, and getting it early, as it appears that ICS is based on Honeycomb, with provisions for scaling-down to run on a phone.

From whatever I've been able to find online, it seems honeycomb is close to ics and that you'll see more new stuff coming from a phone. I think that us xoom owners won't see a tremendous change, obviously there are new features in I cs such as face recognition for a password and hopefully newer camera features. Better browser maybe. It seems the I cs phone is comes from tablet honeycomb vs is coming from phone then going to tablet-

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Will the Xoom get Ice Cream Sandwich, and will it be the first tablet to have it?

I read a lot of articles that say xoom will get ics before most other tablets and the reason given is the Motorola mobility / google connection as well as vanilla os without bloat. IMHO, more thought is given to maximizing profits first, bringing in new customers and then finially keeping existing customers happy enough to get them to return on their next upgrade.

Will Xoom get ics, heck yeah, even if I have to root my Xoom! Ha, ha!

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It's funny to hear people say the XOOM is "almost a Nexus device" or it will get ICS because of the recent buy out of Motorola by Google.

Guys, do you not know what you buy? The XOOM is the Nexus of tablets. That's not an opinion. That's not speculation. That's not a guess. It has been the official word from Google from the start. It is the only tablet GED in existence... for now.

You won't see an official Google release of ICS for another tablet before you see it on the XOOM.

Sheesh, people.

ejz28

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
does this include the family edition? I know it has slightly different specs but should get ics at the same time as the regular xoom?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa