Browser on Xoom + other questions

galtom

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I suppose no one knows but what the hell... I will ask any way.
At the moment I am using Chrome on all my computers (PC's only). One of the best features this browser has is synchro. Regardless of the computer I use I always have the same bookmarks, favourite bar... etc.
Will I be able to sync my browser on Xoom? (it would be awesome if I could)
Since my browser is one of the main applications I use these days I am really hoping for the same experience I have on my PC with Chrome on Xoom (please, Google do not disappoint me!)

Now, since I do not have an android phone one more question in regard of e-mail.
I use Windows Live Mail on all my machines with the @windowslice.com being my main account - will I be able to get similar client to the gmail shown on all presentations and youtube videos? Again, as it gose with Chrome - it doses not matter which PC I use all my mailboxes look the same - same messages, same contacts, same folders, etc...

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Well about Chrome on the Xoom I am not sure. I think you are going to have to wait for the Xoom to be released to have answers to those questions. The browser is supposed to be VERY similar to the one on a laptop.

Reactions: galtom

galtom

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Now, I just (reading forum) came up with more questions.
Apparently there is a problem with SD-card slot...I have a NAS drive at home wich I can access from any of my computers without issue (over wifi at home). Will I be able to watch movies (divix, wmv, mp4, etc...) stored there over wifi?

It 3g modem - will it also support 2G (Edge) - I happen to be sometimes in the areas where there is no 3g coverage..... but still would like to get access to e-mail.

I do not write much - if it will do all the things (mail and web sites) as my Asus 1201N i will be glad to swap them - Asus gets way to hot :-(

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
1) I distinctly remember a rep stating that the Xoom Chrome browser will sync bookmarks with your account. I don't remember exactly which video it was though, but the rep was very clear about that point.

2) If you use a browser to open your email your experience will not change at all. The gmail app is an application that runs in android not through the browser. It only works for gmail accounts. Android also includes a mail app which you can use to set up all your other accounts. I am not sure if its getting a makeover since they have not specifically mentioned it. Can't really answer that question.

3) I believe there are apps in the market that allow you to access file on your home network. I am not sure if it is going to be natively supported in honeycomb right away, but you will be able to access them one way or another.

4) A lot (I would guess most) 3G chips out right now support 2G as well. I don't know which chip is used in the Xoom but I would speculate that it would support it.

Reactions: galtom

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Will I be able to sync my browser on Xoom? (it would be awesome if I could)
Yes, absoultely. As the poster above mentioned it was stated explicitly during the CES demo on stage that it will sync with Chrome bookmarks.

I use Windows Live Mail on all my machines with the @windowslice.com being my main account - will I be able to get similar client to the gmail shown on all presentations and youtube videos? Again, as it gose with Chrome - it doses not matter which PC I use all my mailboxes look the same - same messages, same contacts, same folders, etc...
If there is a WEB BASED interface, I would expect that this is no issue. A quick search of the Android Market did not yield any results for Windows Live Mail, if you are looking for an app client (or if that is necessary). Sorry ..

Apparently there is a problem with SD-card slot...I have a NAS drive at home wich I can access from any of my computers without issue (over wifi at home). Will I be able to watch movies (divix, wmv, mp4, etc...) stored there over wifi?
This should not be an issue. I am pretty sure the XOOM supports DLNA, and assuming you have a media streamer on your PC, you should be fine ...By the way, that SD-slot issue seemed bogus from the start. I would bet anything the SD card slot is working fine when it is released.

It 3g modem - will it also support 2G (Edge) - I happen to be sometimes in the areas where there is no 3g coverage..... but still would like to get access to e-mail.

Have you used Verizon before? I ask because there is no "Edge" on Verizon, they have a different 2G name for their fallback if you are not in a 3G area, sometimes known as 1x. I am fairly certain though that the XOOM would be able to fall back to 2G.

Good luck!

galtom

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
1)
2) If you use a browser to open your email your experience will not change at all. The gmail app is an application that runs in android not through the browser. It only works for gmail accounts. Android also includes a mail app which you can use to set up all your other accounts. I am not sure if its getting a makeover since they have not specifically mentioned it. Can't really answer that question.

3) I believe there are apps in the market that allow you to access file on your home network. I am not sure if it is going to be natively supported in honeycomb right away, but you will be able to access them one way or another.

2). I dont - I use Windows Live Mail. And I love it as I do Chrome - regardless of the PC I am using my browser look sthe same and my e-mails look the same. I would like to have similar expirience on tablet and I do not want to use my google account for e-mails (I understand clinet soft will be different but I hope to get as close as possible). If I could get this Gmail client (shown on videos) to work the same way it does with google mail with hotmail it would be great!

3). 99% of this files are movies and music... - please, please (Motorola and Google) make sure Honeycomb can play all video formats :)

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
2). I dont - I use Windows Live Mail. And I love it as I do Chrome - regardless of the PC I am using my browser look sthe same and my e-mails look the same. I would like to have similar expirience on tablet and I do not want to use my google account for e-mails (I understand clinet soft will be different but I hope to get as close as possible). If I could get this Gmail client (shown on videos) to work the same way it does with google mail with hotmail it would be great!

3). 99% of this files are movies and music... - please, please (Motorola and Google) make sure Honeycomb can play all video formats :)

It looks like good news for you on both fronts. They released some additional info with the honeycomb SDK "beta" release:

Email, If this is the standard email app like i believe that means you can use EAS to get push account sync with your windows live mail and it will look like what you saw in the video.

"The Email application uses a new two-pane UI to make viewing and organizing messages more efficient. The app lets users select one or more messages, then select an action from the Action Bar, such as moving them to a folder. Users can sync attachments for later viewing and keep track of email using a home screen Widget."

It also looks like they may have some sort of DLNA like service natively built into honeycomb now.

"Android 3.0 includes new connectivity features that add versatility and convenience for users. Built-in support for Media/Photo Transfer Protocol lets users instantly sync media files with a USB-connected camera or desktop computer, without needing to mount a USB mass-storage device. Users can also connect full keyboards over either USB or Bluetooth, for a familiar text-input environment. For improved wi-fi connectivity, a new combo scan reduces scan times across bands and filters. New support for Bluetooth tethering means that more types of devices can share the network connection of an Android-powered device."

Android 3.0 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

tnt007#AC

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Will the bowser function well with Google Docs?...The reason I am asking is the fact that other android devices do notseem to play well with google docs...IE the Archos 101 of which I have and would love to use it as a alternative to my laptop but need google docs to work well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non