Xoom-major fail with no wifi.

watchout4d

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I read an article that said almost 70 percent of ipads sold were wifi only. And only a third of people who bought 3G ipads actually activated the service. What the hell was Motorola thinking?

Last edited:

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I actually love apple. I have a desktop and laptop as well as 3 previous I pads and countless iPhones. I just don't think everyone has to follow Apple's direction.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
A lot of people, including myself, would rather get a WiFi only version and I do hope we see it sooner than later. But I'm going to be honest about something. I went into my local Verizon yesterday and I saw at least 3 people in line getting signed up for the 2 year contract and buying a Xoom. They were pushing it like crazy, and it seemed to be working. I'm not saying this this is going to be a huge seller, but I'd be hard pressed to believe it's a flop either.

sunlifexxx

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
two words , business user. hey not every one lives in a big city with wifi every place they go. Yes I could root my phone and use it as a link on the road, but kind of pain. I have the $20 plan plus a 15% discount. I plan to use the Xoom wile I am on my phone when I am out and about. Ok if i just wanted a toy to play with wile I was on the couch that would be one thing.

naldiian

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Motorola and Android do not have the loyal zombie following of Apple, nor do they have their own Moto-only stores to sell them in. They need Verizon and others to push the product, and I am betting Verizon was a major factor in releasing only the 3G/4G version at first to help them make some money off of the deal.

Additionally, Android doesn't have iTunes, and the focus is much more on a connected capability - that means that a WiFi-only version will just be frustrating a lot of people that buy the product, because it really is designed to always be connected, not just when there is a wifi router around.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am waiting for a WiFi version, I have a MiFi w/ 10GB of monthly allowance so I really don't need a contract but who knows. Still having the option out of the gate would be more appropriate but given how Moto is so intertwined with Verizon it could be months.

This is why apple does have market share on the tablet market, they don't let the carriers dictate, they do. Then again I don't like the fact that they can get away with that BS either.

Reactions: watchout4d

Newton1221

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I am waiting for a WiFi version, I have a MiFi w/ 10GB of monthly allowance so I really don't need a contract but who knows. Still having the option out of the gate would be more appropriate but given how Moto is so intertwined with Verizon it could be months.

This is why apple does have market share on the tablet market, they don't let the carriers dictate, they do. Then again I don't like the fact that they can get away with that BS either.

The xoom has mobile hotspot for no extra charge, if your MiFi contract is up then cancel it and get a XOOM with 10GB allowance and it will double as your MiFi. It will be less compact but will also get upgraded to 4G.

watchout4d

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
A lot of people, including myself, would rather get a WiFi only version and I do hope we see it sooner than later. But I'm going to be honest about something. I went into my local Verizon yesterday and I saw at least 3 people in line getting signed up for the 2 year contract and buying a Xoom. They were pushing it like crazy, and it seemed to be working. I'm not saying this this is going to be a huge seller, but I'd be hard pressed to believe it's a flop either.

Here is the question? 3-4 weeks from now after the techies finish their buy through, who will purchase the xoom? The average consumer can't swallow 800 dollars. As I pointed out, even the mighty apple could not sell a 800 dollar tablet. Only 10 percent of iPad purchasers use 3 g service.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
"Xoom-major fail with no wifi."

I think my XOOM has wifi. You guys should check your settings, unless I got a special one.

:p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall