Samsung 8.9 WiFi for $469.00

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Will the Samsung 8.9 WiFi for $469 change anyone's mind from getting the Xoom WiFi?

By the way the 10.1 WiFi will be $499.00

xzigraz

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I want it now, so I will go for the XOOM. The Touchwiz might be the bottleneck when it comes to updating to newer android version. I'll enjoy my XOOM and see what's going to happen later this year. :)

mordbane

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Looks thinner than iPad 2. Now this is the 'droid tab I've been looking for. I love a competitive market.

Sent from my grubby hand

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
They are claiming it will be the thinnest tab on the market. I will admit it looks sleek and sexy, but it just kills me that it won't be stock Honeycomb and that it will be releasing in June.

jjayr41

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I pre-ordered the xoom already. Thou the Sammy 10.1 tab is very nice, I do not like the fact that they added TouchWiz and do not want to be burned by samsung again like I was/am with the Epic 4g. I will stick with the xoom wifi..

bishop7262

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Touchwiz will be optional. You do not have to install it if you do not want it. I read that on slashgear.com So that tablet will be stock Honeycomb. I love my XOOM but glad that there are options for people looking for a better price point to jump onto.

sclui56#AC

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Nothanks. Having to wait for seemingly an eternity for Sammy to patch/update their devices, and using the kies at that on 2 Vibrants recently, I will stick w/ the Xoom.

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Touchwiz will be optional. You do not have to install it if you do not want it. I read that on slashgear.com So that tablet will be stock Honeycomb. I love my XOOM but glad that there are options for people looking for a better price point to jump onto.

If true that changes things--and this tablet would become a viable competitor. I haven't read the slashgear article but I didn't read that this point came out in the presentation.

All said, I think they could have chosen better looking presenters. Jesus, those guys make Steve Jobs and Phil Schiller look like supermodels.

nikeair_221

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm very close to pulling the trigger and purchasing the Xoom wifi model despite reading everything about the Samsung 10.1 and the Toshiba tablet. It's a tough decision but I'm starting to think why wait when all the upcoming tablets have basically the same processors and ram as the Xoom. The main differences will be whether the screen will be any better or if the ports are micro or not. That could be huge for some but I think the Xoom can match or at least function the same as the upcoming tablets in June.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
If the Tab 10.1's TouchWiz is truly optional and installable, that's exactly what I wanted. It'll be like a Samsung version of LauncherPro, which means they can update Honeycomb without having to update TouchWiz every time.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

It seems highly unlikely that a manufacturer would give two options for an OS on the same device. Do you have a link to your source?

farwest

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm very close to pulling the trigger and purchasing the Xoom wifi model despite reading everything about the Samsung 10.1 and the Toshiba tablet. It's a tough decision but I'm starting to think why wait when all the upcoming tablets have basically the same processors and ram as the Xoom. The main differences will be whether the screen will be any better or if the ports are micro or not. That could be huge for some but I think the Xoom can match or at least function the same as the upcoming tablets in June.

The Toshiba is a perhaps a marginally better Xoom - almost identical chasis but with some minor, but useful upgrades like better volume buttons, better speaker layout, 8mp cam vs 5mp. That said, hardly earth shattering. The real problem is it isn't shipping anytime soon and I suspect Moto will have their gen2 tablet out relatively soon (to keep up with ipad3 most likely), so waiting for a marginally better tablet from Toshiba with almost identical hardware is kind of pointless.

The Samsung could be a decent tablet, but then you gotta wonder about the volume they'll sell and how committed they are to North America.

I enjoy my Xoom a lot. Don't miss my ipad for a second - simply a better device - and most importantly, not locked in to the gawd-awful iTune$ and forced to connect to a pc to d/l content. The ipad is a brilliant device - if you're Apple - as you are a captive audience and forced to pay Apple some sort of fee everytime you want to put content on your own device -if Microsft tried a stunt like that, the hue and cry would never end. Thank god for Google/Android and open OS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty