Google not releasing honeycomb source

stopsign002

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I don't care much. I love rooting and putting on custom roms. But it really sounds like they will eventually and if it ends up translating to a better operating system I'm ok with that. I would prefer they release it, but it won't stop me from buying a xoom

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Their explaination does anwser the question about why all honeycombs are 1280x800 and about 10".

Because their OS isn't scalable, it seems.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm disappointed that they don't release quicker. It means more bugs will make it into shipped devices and that affects users and developers who have to deal with them.

It's kinda sad that we get AOSP after it is already on the store shelves and then we go, hey, here are 200 obvious bugs with one-line fixes but too late.

stopsign002

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah from what I've read with ice cream (or whatever) they are going to be bringing together honeycomb and gingerbread. The idea I get is the core parts will all be the same and there will be different "overlays" for different devices that go over that core coding. Like one for phone form factors, one for tablets, etc etc. This is just my educated guess though

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think its more about protecting the android brand. They don't want non-partners throwing honeycomb on hardware that will make the platform look bad. I also think when ice cream merges honeycomb and gingerbread it will be more adaptive to diffferent hardware. From phones to non partner tablets. I'm ok with this for now.

Reactions: DeusInnomen

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Its new stuff and some company will try and pack it into a device its not for. Like 2.2 on the galaxy tab. It works but not the way google would want it. A flood of junk honeycomb devices would come out and give it a bad name. Also some developers will try and get it on a phone and it might not work correctly. I love how the news is blowing this up like they changed.

stopsign002

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I mean, look at all the ****ty 2.2 tablets. There are a LOT of them. I get where they are coming from

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
IMO this is all about protecting their high-end tablet partner's market share. Fact is, 3.0 performs better on weaker hardware than 2.2 due to the UI improvements which utilize the GPU. I run the 3.0 prerelease build on my Nook Color and it runs faster than my overclocked froyo and it isn't even overclocked.

But it's buggy, as 3.0 prerelease was. I was looking forward to a more fixed 3.0 build and so this Google strategy is irritating.