xoom for gaming

wg#AC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I am not sure if this link has been on here before. But I remember all the hype about the video test they did comparing the I pad 2 and the Xoom and how bad the xoom did. Well this is a step in the right direction it is about how the Xoom can do video games better.

Google 'Honeycomb' Game Devs Claim iPad Can't Keep Up | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I figure with all the good news we have had with our xooms lately this would help out.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Odd, I don't see this "Great battles: Medieval" app he uses to compare in the market.

It is in the Nvidia Tegra market, releases in April, looks like a nice RTS for the Xoom.

As for the benchmark, and I'm not a huge gamer so its not a big deal either way for me, BUT... your taking two very different OS and brand new GPUs and trying to compare them with one benchmark. I read one of the more technical reviews stating that the benchmark was only utilizing 21 of the 28 available GPU memory channels, or something to that effect. Even if its missing 20% of the Tegras potential and the fact the Xoom has 30% more pixels to push I don't put much faith in any test until the optimize the bencmark for each device.

Last edited:

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I may have missed it but I didn't see a mention of Samurai II, Air Attack HD, Gun Bros, which are the games that have really impressed me. I had no intention of playing games on this thing and have been trying to keep it to a minimum.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It is in the Nvidia Tegra market, releases in April, looks like a nice RTS for the Xoom.

As for the benchmark, and I'm not a huge gamer so its not a big deal either way for me, BUT... your taking two very different OS and brand new GPUs and trying to compare them with one benchmark. I read one of the more technical reviews stating that the benchmark was only utilizing 21 of the 28 available GPU memory channels, or something to that effect. Even if its missing 20% of the Tegras potential and the fact the Xoom has 30% more pixels to push I don't put much faith in any test until the optimise the bencmark for each decpvice.

Yup, the OpenGL benchmark test didn't use all of the Tegra/GeoForce OpenGL libraries. The easiest comparison is to see how the ipad2 plays the samurai game, it lags greatly compared to playing it on the xoom. You can find that on YouTube.

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't really get the gaming debate in ipad vs xoom. If I want games, I only play on my desktop. Tablet is good for a quick lunch game like Fruit Ninja or Angry Birds.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Of course Tegra 2 is more powerful than the A4 chip lol, but I still don't see it playing Infinity Blade or Real Racing 2 HD.

Also, the ULP GeForce GPU isn't as powerful as the PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU. This article was written before the iPad 2 launched, these people had no idea what hardware it would have.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melseywag