Smart phone with Xoom

wmoor004

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Since I bought my Xoom my Evo and Droid X is only used for calls. Am I the only one no longer feeling the need for a smart phone? Other than making calls what do you use your phones for now that you have the Xoom?

As always thanks in advance for your insight

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Right now as the hotspot for my Xoom and occasionally when it isn't easy to use my Xoom. I am really thinking though after my Xoom goes 4g I may just dump down to a feature phone for calling and txt and then activate a data plan on it.

anon(259366)

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Since I have a WiFi only Xoom, I still use my smartphone quite a bit when I'm out and about. While I'm at mine, or someone else's home, is when my smartphone gets neglected. Location based services in my pocket, as well as pandora to my car, gps turn by turn nav, and sneaking in some social network activity during work, still is more convenient.

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nexus S with my WiFi Xoom, while walking around it's definitely more convenient to have a smartphone for IMing, emails, and so on (but watch where you're going!). A Xoom sized tablet is nice to have when stationary though.

One form factor I personally don't see a use for is the 5" to 7" tablet. I'm still open to the idea of an 8.9" tablet.

Sport6

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
If I had the Xoom with a contract (I have Wifi-only) I think I would not need an extra smart phone.

My iPhone 4 basically only serves as a text message hub now. If I install a chat app that I like and that the wife can use on her iPhone then the iPhone 4 will probably be used even less.

But looking at it that way, it doesn't sound so bad paying for the contract plan if you don't pay for one currently on a phone.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Having a tablet like the Xoom has changed my thoughts about what type of next smartphone I will get soon, but hasn?t made me want to downshift back to a feature phone.

I no longer feel the desire to get a big, 4.3? slab phone. But I still want a smartphone. Further, with an Android tablet giving access to the expanded android market, I?m more inclined to wait for the Pre3 to release and stick with WebOS for my phone.

For anyone thinking about going back to a feature phone, good luck with that. I shutter everytime I have to try to do anything with my wife?s dumbphone?

-Suntan

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Having a tablet like the Xoom has changed my thoughts about what type of next smartphone I will get soon, but hasn?t made me want to downshift back to a feature phone.

I no longer feel the desire to get a big, 4.3? slab phone. But I still want a smartphone. Further, with an Android tablet giving access to the expanded android market, I?m more inclined to wait for the Pre3 to release and stick with WebOS for my phone.

For anyone thinking about going back to a feature phone, good luck with that. I shutter everytime I have to try to do anything with my wife?s dumbphone?

-Suntan

I feel very much the same way. I am now a lot more interested in battery life for my smartphone than I am in functionality. While I like WebOS a lot for phones, I need epocrates and the lack of epocrates is a no go for me.

My Evo is used mostly for phone and text messaging now, but it does do the occasional webpage. Oddly enough, I prefer to use my phone for gaming over my Xoom. The Xoom feels too big for my hands for gaming. I am not sure what my next smartphone will be. Hopefully the Nexus X2 (dual core) or something similar. 3.7-4" is really a nice size for a smartphone IMO.

Someone mentioned 7" tablets above and there is a niche market for them. They fit very well into Dr's white coats. I suspect that the 7-10" tablets will begin to replace paper charts as more and more docs switch to electronic medical records. How, cool would it be for a doc to pull out google body to show you something?

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yea, I used to have a Sprint Pre but switched over to the Evo. I still follow precentral and my best friend is a WebOS lover. Hopefully HP can make a big comeback.

This might hijack the thread a bit, but did you find the WebOS 3.0 leaks a bit underwhelming?

Sent from my Evo

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
This might hijack the thread a bit, but did you find the WebOS 3.0 leaks a bit underwhelming?

At first I was. The Touchpad especially. Which is why I started looking at android. I was all set to jump to an android phone and a honeycomb tablet. Using the Xoom for the better part of 2 weeks made me re-evaluate my needs. I don?t need my phone to do everything a tablet can do. Basically just email, web browsing, news reader, a couple of time waster games and phone calls.

The Veer does nothing for me.

The Pre3 is quite attractive to me with the physical keyboard and world phone capability. The notifications and whatnot (which is evident Honeycomb is shamelessly stealing) on WebOS are better than what I have found on 2.X Android phones. Plus, I really don?t want to downgrade from the functionality of the touchstones?

If they would just announce a release date for the Pre3 (on Verizon) plus hard confirmation that it supports Skype video calling, Netflix and a couple of other apps, I?d be fine waiting for it.

To complicate things, if Big Red actually starts clamping down on unauthorized tethers, it would make it more attractive to just stay with my current Pre+ so I can continue to take advantage of the free 5GB wireless hotspot.

Decisions, decisions.

-Suntan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38