Help Needed -- Nexus 10 Will Not Boot Past Jellybean "X"

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
So, this is how everything went. First I unpacked the device and plugged into my PC with a USB cable. Then I

1) Updated the driver for the "unknown device" to a "Samsung Android ADB Interface" driver that I downloaded for the Galaxy Nexus. It is dated 9/21/2011
2) Fastboot OEM Unlock
3) Confirmed Unlock
4) Restarted the device

It stayed on the Jellybean "X" logo for about 25 minutes before I decided it was likely borked. So this is what I've tried since (each time doing a hard reset into the bootloader after failing to boot past the X)

*Relocked the device and boot
*Relocked then unlocked the device and boot
*ADB pushed the factory image "image-mantaray-jop40c" using the instructions from the Nexus 7 forum and using the Nexus 10 files instead.

Nothing has worked so far, and I can't imagine what is causing the problem. Do I need a Nexus 10 specific driver for the ADB interface?

Any thoughts?

brandonyoung

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
After unlocking your bootloader, and getting stuck on the boot animation,
reboot back to fastboot mode.
use the volume keys to select recovery mode, and boot to recover
you may get the android with a red error triangle. If you do, hold volume up and down, and repeatedly press power.
you should get to the stock recovery mode.
from stock recovery, do a factory reset (wipe data and cache)
reboot, and it should boot past the X and take you through the initial setup.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
After unlocking your bootloader, and getting stuck on the boot animation,
reboot back to fastboot mode.
use the volume keys to select recovery mode, and boot to recover
you may get the android with a red error triangle. If you do, hold volume up and down, and repeatedly press power.
you should get to the stock recovery mode.
from stock recovery, do a factory reset (wipe data and cache)
reboot, and it should boot past the X and take you through the initial setup.

First, thanks for the reply.

How do I boot into the stock recovery when I have the red "error" screen after the first attempt?

I followed your steps, but when I get to the red error screen and press volume +/- and repeatedly press power, it simply reboots into the bootloader. Then I try and go into recovery mode using the volume keys and I just get the red error again. How do I get it to reboot into stock recovery?

Okay so I just noticed the sticky thread in this sub-forum which details how to get into stock recovery. Instead of tapping volume up, down and power, you only tap volume up and power until it gets you into stock recovery. I also mistakenly assumed volume up was the left/top button, and instead it's the right/bottom volume button. I am now doing a factory wipe.

Last edited:

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear you got that sorted :D:thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. After I finally unlocked the device, I still had the same problem so I had to boot into stock recovery and wipe the device again. So I may have to do that with this device each time I unlock/relock it.

Brandon

shiek403

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
ok so i did this, but for some reason, it still didnt help...
so i unboxed
unlocked the boot loader
imidiately flashed cwm
than pushed SU onto it
the long boot x started, panicked, googled found this thread
tried what you said.
still have the X
should i have not flashed CWM?

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Can you boot into CWM and delete data/cache? Basically do a full system restore?

If not and/or that doesn't help, you may need to get the stock recovery back in there. I haven't rooted nor thrown on a custom recovery yet, but booting into stock recovery and clearing data and cache worked both times for me (I did it once after locking, and another time after unlocking).

Dany Mansour

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
i had the same problem, but holding the volume up and power button is taking to a screen with a message downloading... do not turn off target!!! what to do?

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
i had the same problem, but holding the volume up and power button is taking to a screen with a message downloading... do not turn off target!!! what to do?

I had that happen to me every once in a while when trying to get to the boot loader. Just go ahead and restart if it doesn't go away after five minutes. Hold volume up/down and power for at least 5 seconds.

Brandon

Dany Mansour

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
i did that, now my screen is off, and the nexus isnt showing any sign of life even if i put it on the charger!!
can you help?

I just noticed that its over drained so i will charge it for some time and retry.
D

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
i did that, now my screen is off, and the nexus isnt showing any sign of life even if i put it on the charger!!
can you help?

I just noticed that its over drained so i will charge it for some time and retry.
D

After it's been on the charger for a bit, try and power on by holding volume down and power instead of just the regular power button. You may want to try replicating these steps here if it's not charging up: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/12/27/fix-nexus-7-refusing-to-charge-try-this-trick/

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
the volume down and power button took me to:
Downloading...
Do not turn off target!!!

is it the same?

It's not the same. You may have to continue pressing "volume down+power" until it boots into fastboot/bootloader correctly. Are you rooted? Did your N10 download the 4.2.2 OTA before you tried to reboot?

You may need to create your own thread to garner more interest in your problem.

Peter Huys

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I'm wondering if you ever solved the problem? I have rooted my nexus 10 but it gets stuck on booting. So i tried to get into recovery mode and theninto the stock recovery but I always end up with the screen "download mode" where nothing happens. Did you fix this problem? how?
Hoping you can help

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non