vehicle chargers and docks

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm a pretty heavy user during the work week. I found myself at 7% charge on the way home from a 8 hour work day. I need a car charger and/or a dock for easy navigation. I found this charger on Amazon. I bought a car charger for my last phone from Amazon, and it ruined my battery. What do I need to know when buying something like this? WAttage/amps etc etc

Amazon.com: PowerGen Dual USB 3.1A 15w High Output Car Charger - BLACK: Cell Phones & Accessories

41zbHly77yL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

-PowerGen Dual Port 15W / 3.1A USB Car Charger charges your iPad, iPhone, iPod, HTC, Blackberry, MP3 Players, Digital Cameras, PDAs, Mobile Phones.
-Use your existing USB charging cables to charge most USB powered devices / Easy-to-see LED confirms whether USB charger is properly connected
-Dual Port Design, one Apple Devices and one port for Non-Apple Mobile phones or other devices.
-Input:12-24V 1000mA; Output:DC 5V 3.1A or 15W (Shared by two ports)
-Sophisticated circuit design with over-heated, over-current, over-charging protection. Charging will be automatically stop when battery is full.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I have that charger its works fine. The 1 amp charges my phone fairly quick, but the 2.1 amp won't work unless you have a charging cable. I ordered one and it's on its way. hopefully everything works out with it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I have that charger its works fine. The 1 amp charges my phone fairly quick, but the 2.1 amp won't work unless you have a charging cable. I ordered one and it's on its way. hopefully everything works out with it.

so the USB cable that came with the phone will not work with this charger, or with any charger above 1 amp?

Titan Ape

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I have that same charger. I use the USB cable that came with the phone and plug it into the NA slot. It charges the battery in AC mode while I have GPS or Ingress on.

Highly recommend the charger. Just make sure you plug it into the NA (non apple) slot.

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I used that charger twice with my N4, both times it charged the phone to 100%, but for some weird reason the phone discharged at almost double the rate (battery went down to 5% in less than 20hrs, normally it takes about 30hrs based on my usage). When charged with the supplied LG charger, the phone retains the charge MUCH longer. Has anyone seen this behavior before?
The only difference I can think of is that the Moto charger is 950mA and the LG charger is 1200mA.

jimrebello

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Resurrecting an old thread, rather than starting a new one. I see lots of suggestions for chargers, but does anyone have a suggestion for a decent dock? I have a Samsung Captivate and the official dock which is pretty good. I was hoping there would be something similar that I can use for my N4 when it gets here. I love that the Samsung dock had a micro usb input on the back and kept the dash (sort of) clean.

I see other docks, and I have read that the Infuse 4G dock fits the N4, but it's tight...don't want to mess up the plastic with an ill-fitting dock.

Any suggestions? Anyone have experience with a Brodit dock?

Thanks!

Skywalker629

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have used Proclip for years and been very satisfied. Proclip has clips made custom for your car and holders for your phone that integrate together. I have an adjustable phone holder now that worked for the Samsung Galaxy S and now works for the Nexus4 with the Google bumper. Only downside with proclip is the price.

Brodit looks like a similar setup but I haven't used them before.

Resurrecting an old thread, rather than starting a new one. I see lots of suggestions for chargers, but does anyone have a suggestion for a decent dock? I have a Samsung Captivate and the official dock which is pretty good. I was hoping there would be something similar that I can use for my N4 when it gets here. I love that the Samsung dock had a micro usb input on the back and kept the dash (sort of) clean.

I see other docks, and I have read that the Infuse 4G dock fits the N4, but it's tight...don't want to mess up the plastic with an ill-fitting dock.

Any suggestions? Anyone have experience with a Brodit dock?

Thanks!

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have used Proclip for years and been very satisfied. Proclip has clips made custom for your car and holders for your phone that integrate together. I have an adjustable phone holder now that worked for the Samsung Galaxy S and now works for the Nexus4 with the Google bumper. Only downside with proclip is the price.

Brodit looks like a similar setup but I haven't used them before.

Doesn't Brodit make pro clips?

My wife got an adjustable suction cup holder that fits the Nexus 4 even in the Ionic Guardian Armor case. Said it would fit any phone but I have my doubts about the note II. Was afraid the N4 wouldn't fit in the case but does. It is just a holder but I can see if I can find out the brand if you want. She got it at target I think.

pat_the_cat

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Akron Adjustable Suction Cup Car Mount and have so far been very happy with it. For charging I'm still using the charging cable that came with the Nexus One car dock. Charges pretty quickly. Pretty happy with the combo. I bought a universal style because I change phones every 6-8 months and was getting tired of buying phone specific mounts.

salam0506

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to go back but anyone have a suggestion for the best compact car charger for the nexus 4? From reading above it seems as though anything 1200mA works best? Any websites in the UK sell a good one? with a cable that works preferably?

damo

#teamandroid
May 25, 2011
Visit site
Waiting on Brodit releasing their mounts here in the UK. Their stuff is superb

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I ordered a Motorolla Car charger for my N4, this one to be exact Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

When I looked at the new car charger I just bought, I noticed the USB plug was different than the USB on the charger that came with my N4. . . Will this affect the outlet? I don't want my USB outlet on my N4 to become loose or broken like it did on my Thunderbolt.

Here is a pic. N4 charger on the left. Motorolla charger on the right.

IMG_20130108_200924.jpg

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I ordered a Motorolla Car charger for my N4, this one to be exact Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

When I looked at the new car charger I just bought, I noticed the USB plug was different than the USB on the charger that came with my N4. . . Will this affect the outlet? I don't want my USB outlet on my N4 to become loose or broken like it did on my Thunderbolt.

Here is a pic. N4 charger on the left. Motorolla charger on the right.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n260/foxracingktm/IMG_20130108_200924.jpg

It will be fine. The Micro USB plug is the same. The only difference is that the plastic around the connector is larger. This may interfere with some cases.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
It will be fine. The Micro USB plug is the same. The only difference is that the plastic around the connector is larger. This may interfere with some cases.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

But you see the slots inside the USB plug? There's 5 slots on the N4 charger, and only 2 on the Moto's. ?? idk lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty