[GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Factory Image Restore

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Actually, the settings problem occurred after following your root and unlocking bootloader guide, but I do not believe your guide had anything whatsoever to do with the problem; it is probably an app or 4.2.2 related issue. The fix I tried elsewhere did indeed lock up my phone. That is why I originally asked you if I could use your factory image restore to return my phone to a usable state so I can start all over again. I guess I will just have to try it out and see what happens.

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
So your factory restore worked, and I have a phone again. Thanks. What I discovered after all of this is that the 4.2.2 file on the Google site is corrupt. When I unzip it, all I get is one file, and I did an MD5 and SHA-1 check on the file and it matches. So I found an old 4.2.1 image and when I unzip it I get all the files that you mention in your instructions. Also, on a different topic, not sure it makes a difference but when I rooted it previously and just now, per your instructions, I used the latest version of SuperSU.zip from the web site you listed. It is version UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.04.zip and it worked without any errors. This time I am not doing any OTA updates for a while and not using any type of rootkeeper app, so hopefully I will have a working phone for a while. Hopefully one of the other apps does not destroy it again.

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
No, it's definitely not bricked.

Try using Wug's toolkit... it goes against my standards (no disrespect to Wugfresh.. he does great work, I just hate encouraging the use of toolkits for a Nexus device) but give it a shot and lets just see if that will work for your system: Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.1 | WugFresh

Just had the same issue, tried everything manually half a dozen+ times to no avail. Kept getting stuck on the X screen. Downloaded the Wugs toolkit, watched a quick QBKing video on youtube on how to use it. Then had my phone working within 30 minutes.

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
So, I finally figured out how I corrupted my phone, in the event someone else has the same issue. Downloading the factory image from Google's web site using Internet Explorer 9 results in a .tar file being downloaded, while using a different browser results in the proper .tgz file being downloaded (I have not figured out why yet, but a weird problem). I tried to image my phone with the unzipped .tar file (fastboot flash system occam-jdq39-factory-345dc199), not knowing what I was doing and not realizing that the proper bootloader and radio image files were not there.

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi, same issue here, and fixed as well.

1. Flash TWRP, then go into recovery mode.
2. Format/wipe everything, several times. If it ever says FAIL, wipe the system/factory reset, it will undo encryption if you were using that, then wipe the stuff again
3. Use the bat file included in the stock rom: flash-all.bat
4. oem lock, then oem unlock
5. Reboot, it works.

NinjaNick16

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm panicking and scared.

I got stuck at the boot animation of my Nexus 4 after I attempted your suggested reset, and now after canceling it (after a half hour) I can't even get into recovery AND adb does not recognize my device. I'm attempting to re-install drivers, but... please HELP?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm panicking and scared.

I got stuck at the boot animation of my Nexus 4 after I attempted your suggested reset, and now after canceling it (after a half hour) I can't even get into recovery AND adb does not recognize my device. I'm attempting to re-install drivers, but... please HELP?

Read through the last 2 pages or so, and the FAQ.. People who got stuck at the boot animation were able to proceed by locking and unlocking the bootloader again.

The reason ADB isn't working is because it only works when the phone is booted. When you're in the bootloader you use fastboot only, not adb.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

NinjaNick16

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Read through the last 2 pages or so, and the FAQ.. People who got stuck at the boot animation were able to proceed by locking and unlocking the bootloader again.

The reason ADB isn't working is because it only works when the phone is booted. When you're in the bootloader you use fastboot only, not adb.

Thank you so much, everything worked perfectly after realizing adb wouldn't work. Lesson learned: Never panic!

audiospeedwagon

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
2def,

Thanks so much for this guide. With T-Mobile starting their LTE network soon, I wanted to see if I could revert back to 4.2.1 and/or flash the .33 or .27 radio.

This was my first experience with restoring an Android device. I have to say, though, it was touch and go for a while; like the other Mac users, I kept getting "ERROR: usb_write failed with status e00002be FAILED (data transfer failure (No such file or directory))" when trying to write system.img. I tried all of your tips in the troubleshooting section, tried to flash it a number of times, even going so far as to fastboot reboot-bootloader between each and every step. Absolutely nothing worked.

I ended in a really bad place; I got a warning that I was in "Download Mode." I tried resetting it a few times but it went back into "Download Mode."

I finally was able to get back to fastboot, and, since I was having so many problems with OSX, I booted into my Windows bootcamp partition, followed each step EXACTLY and, lo and behold, I now have a factory 4.2.1 image running.

Thanks so much.

Audio

toonhead85

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to take a moment and thank you. I am not what you would call a android-pro, but you make me feel that way!! Your instructions are amazing and simple to follow. Thanks for all you do!!

Linux Techie

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I tried all the steps mentioned here, but I was always stuck on "X" logo. However the oem lock and unlock fixed it right away. Can we please add this to the main step? It doesn't hurt and really saves lots of time.

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I tried all the steps mentioned here, but I was always stuck on "X" logo. However the oem lock and unlock fixed it right away. Can we please add this to the main step? It doesn't hurt and really saves lots of time.

I suppose I can add a note about that in the main area :)

Also sorry to anyone who's posted in this area recently.. Was swamped with midterms and other real life stuff the last week or 2, but should be around more now if anyone still needs assistance.

ScooterG

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

Agreed. Lock/Unlock worked for me on my Mac.

Thanks for the guide 2defmouze.

Nels Heinz

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
so i have been trying this and every thing works fine up to the fastboot -w update i get this when it runs:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\nexus4-adb-fastbo
ot\nexus4-adb-fastboot>fastboot-windows -w update image-occam-jdq39.zip
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
--------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: MAKOZ10o
Baseband Version.....: M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.33
Serial Number........: 004c4f08870bead1
--------------------------------------------
checking product... OKAY
checking version-bootloader... OKAY
checking version-baseband... FAILED

Device version-baseband is 'M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.33'.
Update requires 'M9615A-CEFWMAZM-2.0.1700.48'.

any help would be great

just an update
its curious because when in fast boot the screen says the baseband version is the .48 so i don't know whats going on

Last edited:

Oliver Sharp

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I am the techie of our form but when a friend turned to me to ask why is nexus was playing up I panicked, not knowing what to do! You saved my life and reputation.

HeydarRadar

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Many thanks for posting this guide.

I am having trouble with step number 6.

When I type "fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz10o.img", I get the error "error: cannot load ' bootloader-mako-makoz10o.img'". Presumably this is because the file isn't within the directory. But I have downloaded (or so I think) everything that was required under the "Setup and Files" tab. I've also placed the .tgz file from Google into the same folder as where I am running the command line from...

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Many thanks for posting this guide.

I am having trouble with step number 6.

When I type "fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-mako-makoz10o.img", I get the error "error: cannot load ' bootloader-mako-makoz10o.img'". Presumably this is because the file isn't within the directory. But I have downloaded (or so I think) everything that was required under the "Setup and Files" tab. I've also placed the .tgz file from Google into the same folder as where I am running the command line from...

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

When you unzip the image you need to move the contents directly to your directory which contains your fastboot file. Sounds like you just don't have it in the right directory.

HeydarRadar

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
When you unzip the image you need to move the contents directly to your directory which contains your fastboot file. Sounds like you just don't have it in the right directory.

A fantastically quick response,

When I download the image, I only get a .tgz file and no zip file.....