Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Will you root the N4?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

73 82.95%
  • No

15 17.05%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Default Re: Rooting...

Got it. But I have this feeling that you lose security or you become vulnerable once you go root. Otherwise, why people still refusing to go root?
    I'm planning on go root because I want to do full backup mainly because I want to try Nova launcher and a lot of stuff to customize my phone and I don't want to mess it up.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by CrazCruz View Post
    Got it. But I have this feeling that you lose security or you become vulnerable once you go root. Otherwise, why people still refusing to go root?
    I'm planning on go root because I want to do full backup mainly because I want to try Nova launcher and a lot of stuff to customize my phone and I don't want to mess it up.
    Nova Launcher is just an app. You can use it and play with the customizations and uninstall it if you don't care for it. No reason to root.

Again, I'm a root advocate if you have a reason. I listed mine above. The "gaining total control of your device" argument - I get it, but it's pretty vague. If you know of specific apps you want to use which require root permissions or your a flashaholic like some of us, that's great.. But if you don't have a specific reason then you should research until you find one. It does compromise your device's security to unlock the bootloader and root it, and you should understand how it does and why it does and why you should be reasonably cautious/intelligent in your decision making if you choose to go that route.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    sr2012 
    Paul627g and sr2012 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Nova Launcher is just an app. You can use it and play with the customizations and uninstall it if you don't care for it. No reason to root.

Again, I'm a root advocate if you have a reason. I listed mine above. The "gaining total control of your device" argument - I get it, but it's pretty vague. If you know of specific apps you want to use which require root permissions or your a flashaholic like some of us, that's great.. But if you don't have a specific reason then you should research until you find one. It does compromise your device's security to unlock the bootloader and root it, and you should understand how it does and why it does and why you should be reasonably cautious/intelligent in your decision making if you choose to go that route.

Great explanation. Another way to look at it is most people are more than capable of managing and securing their device. The OEMs locking down a device's bootloader and removing access to system level files is a protection on their part. Bottom line they put these protections in place to protect themselves from consumers putting the blame on them if these areas of your device were left open at the time of purchase.

When you choose to take matters into your own hands to unlock your bootloader and apply root access you take the responsibility for doing so which removes the carrier and OEM from being held responsible in the event you mess up your device. But they also have to prove you did this to your device to use it against you, which is hard because if we can unlock it we can return it to stock also with no signs left behind

I like Advisor 2defs view also, very well presented :-D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by 2:
    2defmouze and sr2012 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazCruz View Post
    Yes, to experiment more with the phone rooting is great but you MUST inform yourself of the risks, don't just hop on the bandwagon.

Mainly I stick to Google Play Store whenever possible, research on the forums, backup and I have Avast for a little peace of mind. There are security risks no doubt but I think I've taken enough precautions for the flexibility and enjoyment I get.

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post

Totally agree, I've been thinking about Android security like an onion lately, lots of layers and the risk grows as you start to peel them back.

If security is a paramount concern of yours, don't unlock, don't root and don't allow installs from unknown sources. I personally think that doing that is only a marginal increase in risk and completely acceptable but that's me. It's not my place to tell anyone it's not a big deal because to many, it is.

But it's important to keep in mind, at least so far, the type of "malware" we're seeing on Android are using phishing vectors. Meaning you need to be tricked or duped into giving some level of access by allowing the app to bypass security measures. We haven't yet seen any so called zero day vulnerabilities that use vectors that require no user intervention. Blogs like grand headlines that have "Android" and "Malware" because people read them and that's how they make money. Truthfully, even considering some of the more recently vulnerabilities, Android isn't an OS filled with security holes. Things are pretty good and just like on a PC, if you use a little common sense the risks are almost zero, even when hacking up your phone.

Do your homework, like mouze said, then enjoy your phone.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker
    Thanked by 2:
    2defmouze likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12