Where is a TWRP nandroid backup stored?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I know this isn't your first rodeo, so I'm assuming you looked in /0/TWRP/Backups?

Yeah, and there's a tiny file (like maybe 7k) in that directory, so I know that's not my backup. I've always used CRW on other phones, so I know the nandroid backups are pretty big files, but I can't find the one TWRP made for me today (and I have rebooted the phone). I want to upload it to a cloud service, so it's not taking up space on my card, but I've got to find it first.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Do you have "enable compression" selected before you backup? I also skip the md5 generation to make it faster.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've only ever used compression, and if non compressed is 3gb it certainly makes a big difference. Backup always works fine the rare chance I use it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357931920561.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357931920561.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 58

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
This seems pretty weird. I'm trying to clear up some space on my sd card and I also wanted to get a fresh nandroid that I was going to move to my PC. So I started out using twrp. The first time I tried to make one (letting twrp name the backup file for me), no file showed up in my twrp dir, but I lost about 2gb of storage. The second time I tried to make one, I gave the backup my own name, and that one showed up in the twrp dir (as I would expect it to). Then I thought I would try using CWM to make a backup, so that I could compare the backup file sizes. Once again, It said the backup was OK, but no backup file was present in the clockworkmod dir, BUT, I did loose another 2gb of storage on the phone. I've looked in all the directories on the sd card, and none have a 2gb file. So...where is it?

EDIT: Never mind. I used Root Explorer to search for *2013* and found my missing backups in data\media\clockworkmod and data\media\twrp (not on the data dir of the sd card, but the internal hard drive of the phone). Now I've got 4 extra gig available. Odd that it didn't put them on the sd card, but I thought that those of you that didn't know this would want to know about it.

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
This seems pretty weird. I'm trying to clear up some space on my sd card and I also wanted to get a fresh nandroid that I was going to move to my PC. So I started out using twrp. The first time I tried to make one (letting twrp name the backup file for me), no file showed up in my twrp dir, but I lost about 2gb of storage. The second time I tried to make one, I gave the backup my own name, and that one showed up in the twrp dir (as I would expect it to). Then I thought I would try using CWM to make a backup, so that I could compare the backup file sizes. Once again, It said the backup was OK, but no backup file was present in the clockworkmod dir, BUT, I did loose another 2gb of storage on the phone. I've looked in all the directories on the sd card, and none have a 2gb file. So...where is it?

EDIT: Never mind. I used Root Explorer to search for *2013* and found my missing backups in data\media\clockworkmod and data\media\twrp (not on the data dir of the sd card, but the internal hard drive of the phone). Now I've got 4 extra gig available. Odd that it didn't put them on the sd card, but I thought that those of you that didn't know this would want to know about it.

/data/media is the official, "true" name of your sdcard partition. The code creates the directory /sdcard/ and links it to /data/media in order to simplify things for us when we are browsing, but they should match up exactly since all /sdcard/ does is lead to /data/media... why yours was off I'm not sure of however, but at least you were able to find what you needed :)

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have some rudimentary questions about nandroid backups. My Nexus 4 is on stock rooted 4.3.
1. Does a nandroid backup also backup the OS? So if I'm on 4.2.2 and restore a 4.3 backup, it will update the phone to 4.3?
2. Does a nandroid backup preserve root? So if I restore from a root backup to an unrooted phone, it will restore the root as well?
3. Are nandroid backups interchangeable between custom recoveries? So a backup of CWM can be restored in TWRP?
4. Can you restore a backup from a different version of Android? So if I have a 4.2.2 backup, can I restore it to a 4.3 device?

hgmichna

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I have some rudimentary questions about nandroid backups. My Nexus 4 is on stock rooted 4.3.
1. Does a nandroid backup also backup the OS? So if I'm on 4.2.2 and restore a 4.3 backup, it will update the phone to 4.3?
Yes.

2. Does a nandroid backup preserve root? So if I restore from a root backup to an unrooted phone, it will restore the root as well?
If only you could restore a Nandroid backup on an unrooted phone, it would. But you can't.

3. Are nandroid backups interchangeable between custom recoveries? So a backup of CWM can be restored in TWRP?
No.

4. Can you restore a backup from a different version of Android? So if I have a 4.2.2 backup, can I restore it to a 4.3 device?
Yes.

shobuddy

May 9, 2011
Visit site
And to confirm, if I restore just the "data" portion of a nandroid backup (I assume it would let you restore just the data portion even though system and boot are also part of the backup) to a stock rooted or unrooted N4, it will restore all the apps and phone settings to the phone?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If only you could restore a Nandroid backup on an unrooted phone, it would. But you can't.

You can actually.. You don't have to root to flash a custom recovery, just unlock the bootloader and flash it. Then you could restore a nandroid that is rooted.

And to confirm, if I restore just the "data" portion of a nandroid backup (I assume it would let you restore just the data portion even though system and boot are also part of the backup) to a stock rooted or unrooted N4, it will restore all the apps and phone settings to the phone?

I'm not sure about just restoring the data portion.. Only experience is with the whole backup, not pieces.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

yungplayz

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Found everything under /sdcard/TWRP with TWRP's file manager. Still cannot access it from inside the system, though. Instead of folder "TWRP" I see a file with the same name, and can't even get its properties.