4.2.2 OTA threw me into CWM and didn't install???

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I got a notification that my 4.2.2 update was ready to install last night and when I selected it (I think it said reboot and install), it rebooted the phone and threw me into my CWM recovery screen, with my only option being something like "install unknown source." I selected that and a second or 2 later, my option was to "reboot device." I selected that, and it rebooted normally, but I'm still on 4.2.1...no update applied. When I unlocked and rooted the phone (I'm still running the stock ROM with Franco kernel), I never permanently flashed a new recovery, though I did, later on, go through CWM (the ROM Manager app) to reboot into recovery to make a nandroid backup. Could that have permanently flashed CWM recovery over the stock recovery and screwed up my update? If so, how do I fix it so I can apply the OTA?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Fastboot the stock recovery. Pull it out of the factory image and fastboot flash is the same way you do a custom one:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Fastboot the stock recovery. Pull it out of the factory image and fastboot flash is the same way you do a custom one:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Thanks for the info. I did it, and everything seemed to working normal...it re-downloaded the update after replacing the factory image recovery.img (via fastboot), chose to install the update, it rebooted, started applying the update, looking normal for a few minutes, then showed "error" I rebooted, and now it says I'm still on 4.2.1 and when I manually check for an update, it says I'm up to date.

Any ideas?

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I did it, and everything seemed to working normal...it re-downloaded the update after replacing the factory image recovery.img (via fastboot), chose to install the update, it rebooted, started applying the update, looking normal for a few minutes, then showed "error" I rebooted, and now it says I'm still on 4.2.1 and when I manually check for an update, it says I'm up to date.

Any ideas?

Manually flash 4.2.2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Any ideas?

Manually flash 4.2.2

Probably have to do it manually... If it failed it's usually due to something not being stock in your system. Being rooted I couldn't speculate on what you've changed, but if you aren't sure and don't have a backup you'll probably just have to do it manually using the factory images. Or flash a 4.2.2 ROM... Aokp just released its 4.2.2 build this evening :)

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Probably have to do it manually... If it failed it's usually due to something not being stock in your system. Being rooted I couldn't speculate on what you've changed, but if you aren't sure and don't have a backup you'll probably just have to do it manually using the factory images. Or flash a 4.2.2 ROM... Aokp just released its 4.2.2 build this evening :)

The only thing (other than my recovery.img, which I replaced) that is not stock, is my Franco kernel, but I didn't think that a kernel would interrupt an OTA. This leaves me with 2 questions:

1. If you think the Franco kernel is making the OTA fail, where can I find the stock kernel to flash?

2. If I have to manually install the OTA, can it be done so that it works like an OTA...an OTA update that does NOT wipe my phone? I'm hoping to not loose my setup and have to rebuild my phone (like when you flash a ROM).

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The only thing (other than my recovery.img, which I replaced) that is not stock, is my Franco kernel, but I didn't think that a kernel would interrupt an OTA. This leaves me with 2 questions:

1. If you think the Franco kernel is making the OTA fail, where can I find the stock kernel to flash?

2. If I have to manually install the OTA, can it be done so that it works like an OTA...an OTA update that does NOT wipe my phone? I'm hoping to not loose my setup and have to rebuild my phone (like when you flash a ROM).

Using a non-stock kernel will absolutely cause the OTA to fail, lol. You can find the stock kernel within the factory image, unzip it (the 4.2.1 one in your case, make sure you get it right, I've linked to it near the last post in the factory image restore guide) and look for the file boot.img - that's the stock kernel. Fastboot flash it using:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

:)

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The problem you faced was not because of using CWM. The OTA update installs fine on CWM and TWRP recovery. The only thing you have to make sure is that you are on stock ROM and stock kernel with no modifications or missing files.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Using a non-stock kernel will absolutely cause the OTA to fail, lol. You can find the stock kernel within the factory image, unzip it (the 4.2.1 one in your case, make sure you get it right, I've linked to it near the last post in the factory image restore guide) and look for the file boot.img - that's the stock kernel. Fastboot flash it using:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

:)

I love you, man!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
This is a pain in the a$$. I replaced the kernel (with the one from 4.2.1), and replaced the recovery.img (with the one from 4.2.2...could that be my problem???). That's all I've changed...unlocked, rooted, accidentally replaced my recovery by flashing CWM recovery, and flashed the Franco kernel. I've not yet flashed any ROMs on this phone. I still get an error about 25% of the way through installing the OTA.

Any other ideas? I really don't want to restore the factory image and have to rebuild my phone right now.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
This is a pain in the a$$. I replaced the kernel (with the one from 4.2.1), and replaced the recovery.img (with the one from 4.2.2...could that be my problem???). That's all I've changed...unlocked, rooted, accidentally replaced my recovery by flashing CWM recovery, and flashed the Franco kernel. I've not yet flashed any ROMs on this phone. I still get an error about 25% of the way through installing the OTA.

Any other ideas? I really don't want to restore the factory image and have to rebuild my phone right now.

You need stock everything. 4.2.1 everything...

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
You need stock everything. 4.2.1 everything...

Went ahead and flashed the stock 4.2.1 recovery and it's still an error on the OTA install. I guess I'll just stick with 4.2.1 for now. I'm just not interested in setting up my phone again. I have no idea why this OTA wont install...stock kernel, stock recovery, no deleted apps...oh well. Thanks for trying. I do remember deleting some apps a while back when my sd card was getting full. I thought I only deleted a few apps that I had installed from the market, but maybe I also deleted a Google app and didn't realize it.

Thanks

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Went ahead and flashed the stock 4.2.1 recovery and it's still an error on the OTA install. I guess I'll just stick with 4.2.1 for now. I'm just not interested in setting up my phone again. I have no idea why this OTA wont install...stock kernel, stock recovery, no deleted apps...oh well. Thanks for trying. I do remember deleting some apps a while back when my sd card was getting full. I thought I only deleted a few apps that I had installed from the market, but maybe I also deleted a Google app and didn't realize it.

Thanks

Yeah, no idea then. Fwiw I see nothing but gain from flashing something new... the "setting up" things again process is not long or difficult if you use Titanium Backup and have a system. I barely have time to flash these days so I wait until I find something stable in the forums and spend about a half hour on it, usually less... whole process is like:
1. Backup everything up to date with TiBu >> 4 minutes
2. Download ROM and Gapps, stick them on the phone >> 2 minutes
3. Boot to recovery, wipe and flash >> 2 minutes
4. Boot up, Have TiBu restore al my apps. I use labels in it to so I can easily select all the apps I want data restored with and everything else the app only >> Maybe 5-7 minutes
5. Reboot. Log in to my Google accounts and set up the phone settings and other stuff the way I like it >> about 10 minutes.

Like I said.. it doesn't take long at all, and it's worth it, IMO. I highly recommend AOKP, the new 4.2.2 build ought to be stable enough to be daily driver material for as long as you need it. And the options you get over stock Android are worth the bit of "work" :)

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I was looking through my TiBu backup files and found an app that I uninstalled called Vtok 1.0.1. Does anyone know what this app is? The reason I'm asking is that I wonder if it might have been a Google app that I need on my phone to run the OTA update?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Oh well, Vtok didn't help. I restored it, reapplied the OTA and ended in another error. I have no idea what file I must be missing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevenharvi