Choosing the Nexus 5X over the Nexus 6P

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: 5X vs 6P Value Proposition (Price Difference)

What exactly are the most common issues with low ram? With my N4 I can honestly say that I've never noticed any issues with 2GB. I would consider myself an average to slightly advanced power user, but certainly not on the level that some of you may push your phones.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

What exactly are the most common issues with low ram? With my N4 I can honestly say that I've never noticed any issues with 2GB. I would consider myself an average to slightly advanced power user, but certainly not on the level that some of you may push your phones.

A lot of this context is coming from users of Samsung and/or LG devices, which moved up to 3GB RAM for good reason. RAM management is much worse on those devices, whereas stock Android handles RAM extremely well. On the non-stock devices, the users frequently will close apps manually and use task cleaners to micromanage RAM (both of these things actually make it run worse) because they perceive it getting bogged down. This makes people want to throw more RAM at a problem.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

A lot of this context is coming from users of Samsung and/or LG devices, which moved up to 3GB RAM for good reason. RAM management is much worse on those devices, whereas stock Android handles RAM extremely well. On the non-stock devices, the users frequently will close apps manually and use task cleaners to micromanage RAM (both of these things actually make it run worse) because they perceive it getting bogged down. This makes people want to throw more RAM at a problem.

I have zero doubts the Nexus 5X will perform very well despite having 2GB of RAM, but it's conceivable that down the road it presents an issue. No one can say for sure because there's no telling where Android goes from here.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why did you buy or why are you considering the 5X over the 6P?

How many of you have changed your mind about buying a 5X? Or even more interesting how many of you that already placed the order have canceled it or will cancel it?

To the Android Central guys! Last weeks Podcast where you acknowledged all the comments about the 5X having 2GB of ram and quickly dismissed the concerns here on the forums as we just don't understand how ram works was just an outright slap in the face to anyone who has knowledge of Android. Fact is, it is a concern and legitimate one at that. It is so legit that I am not even going to attempt to argue why, because it is common knowledge. It may run fine and have limited impact, but it WILL have impact. Those comments are not much appreciated if you have any concern for people buying the right phone for their needs. You should revisit it on a future Podcast to set the record straight.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

Sticking with the 5X. My current phone, a Galaxy S5, has 2gb of RAM and it runs great even with Touchwiz and everything else Samsung and Verizon add. Not worried one bit about performance from a phone with a better processor running stock Android.

linuxmel

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

Sticking with the 5X. My current phone, a Galaxy S5, has 2gb of RAM and it runs great even with Touchwiz and everything else Samsung and Verizon add. Not worried one bit about performance from a phone with a better processor running stock Android.

Great point. I think with stock Android all will be good.

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site

Main problem for me was always not enough photos and app storage space. With the 128GB on 6S I hope to save some deleting and removal time.

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site

Just ordered the 5X so i can compare to the 6p. I may choose it by its size, feel, and having both ports on bottom-love that.

tuan209

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Does the white 5x has the same soft back as the black Nexus 5? I bought the white Nexus 5 and didnt particularly like the slippery plastic feel of it.

It seems the black 5x has the same back and texture of the Nexus, does anyone know if its the same for the Mint and white one?

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site

I read a hands on that said the blue and black were the same soft touch, but they didn't have the white to compare.

SeanJamesWright

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I chose the 5X for the size over anything. I'm sure it will run just fine with the 808 and 2GB RAM which shouldn't be an issue for me. Also the plastic build is more practical I find from dings here and there and I love that soft touch feel LG did with the N5 which is present on the 5X. One week today and it should be in my hands.

Hyper Laser

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site

Mostly size, 6P is too big IMO for a daily pocketed phone. I still use the Nexus 4 but it's getting old.
That said, in Australia we still can't order either phone so who knows, something else may come along.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Apart from size and price, one other reason I went with the 5x is that I have complete trust in LG and my experience with them. Cant say I know much about Huawei. That said, I assume this phone should be the best of the best from Huawei as they attempt to break into the US market with a much higher profile with Nexus.

littlenoodles

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Right. On a strictly price basis, the 32GB 6P is probably worth the extra $70. The problem is form factor, not price. It seems like the 5X was intentionally hobbled to make the 6P the better option. Why on earth the 5X is as tall as it is for its screen size baffles me. If it had front-facing stereo speakers, I might think that was a cool feature, but without that, I want a smaller phone - that's the primary reason I'd buy a 5X. And it's even 'smaller enough' now that I'm still considering it. But I don't like that it only has 2GB of RAM, and the missing Type-A USB cable is just chintzy - to the point that I'm seriously considering today's OnePlus Two offer. If I'm being herded into buying a huge phone like the 6P, then the OPT becomes a really good deal (hardware wise, at least). Again, though, what I really, really want to buy is a 1080p phone - as small as the screen allows, and with the best battery life possible with otherwise comparable internals to these new Nexus phones. And I think a lot of people are looking for that. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be there. Maybe the new Moto X - though that's kind of big too, and I'd really like a fingerprint scanner. So, it's either a Nexus I don't quite want (but think I might regret passing up - I've only had Nexuses so far, N4 now), or a gamble on the OPT, which at least seems kind of future-proof.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

For me, it's all about the size of the device. I gave the Moto X Pure Edition a try and it just didn't work for me so that ruled out the 6P. I'm not a power user so I can't see why the 5X wouldn't suit my needs. I just wish it had Qi wireless charging.

bstarr3

May 17, 2010
Visit site

This all reminds me of the discussion when the OG moto x came out. People were complaining about its "midrange" specs and even it's size. But once people got their hands on it and realized that moto had truly emphasized experience over specs, they loved it.
I still love the 13 moto x. I stepped up to the 2014 model and do like the slightly larger screen and lollipop, but still prefer the feel in my hand of the old one.
I'll probably go with this phone now that upgrade support had been abandoned for my current one, and I'm sure it'll be enough

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I've been getting very tempted by the 5x especially since Google keeps advertising it in my Solitaire game lol. I don't know though, I still plan to get the Moto G.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

Get the 5X if you want a 5 inch phone, get the 6P if you want a 6 inch phone. Geez... it's not a difficult choice... that's why Google made two of them this time. This is the first year where Google makes not one but TWO Nexii phones, and people are complaining because there isn't a third option lol.

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

Get the 5X if you want a 5 inch phone, get the 6P if you want a 6 inch phone. Geez... it's not a difficult choice... that's why Google made two of them this time. This is the first year where Google makes not one but TWO Nexii phones, and people are complaining because there isn't a third option lol.

If only it was that simple. If the two phones had the same internal specs and same features, then your comment would be rational. But they don't, and since the 5x is inferior in those regards, it makes for a tougher decision.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty