Nano to micro SIM process, I'm switching to an unlocked phone/want to keep number and plan?

A

AC Question

Nano to micro SIM process? I'm switching to an unlocked phone/want to keep number and plan.

Long story short. I've decided on the Nexus 5x as an upgrade to my 2.5 yr old S4. The S4 has a micro SIM and the 5x has the nano SIM. I don't want to have to cut the SIM down, so I've heard you can call Verizon and request a nano SIM to be sent to the mail to activate the phone.

How does everything transfer from my old phone/account if not using the same SIM from the old phone? (like maintaining my number for instance)?

RogMoore

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nano to micro SIM process? I'm switching to an unlocked phone/want to keep number and plan.

Yeah it is possible, but more quick would be cutting it, requesting a new sim would take some time.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I'll warn you...I tried to cut my old sim down for my 5x and the cutter I bought from amazon bungled it and I had to buy a new sim anyways...just my two cents...

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nano to micro SIM process? I'm switching to an unlocked phone/want to keep number and plan.

I bought a sim cutter way back when I bought the OG Moto X, and it worked perfectly. I then used it in the 2nd and third gen Moto X, and the Nexus 5X before switching to Project Fi. The cut sim card never had an issue.

Posted via the Android Central app on my Nexus 5X with Project Fi

yeahizme

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I went to a small store front computer shop where the guy who works on computers had a sim cutter....he cut my sim from the LG g3 down to a nano size and I put the new sim into my LG v10 and it worked flawlessly...whole process took less than 2 mins.

L0N35T4R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

Use regular scissors to cut the sim. Download a template online and print it. Easy. Go slow... You can always remove more, but can't put plastic back

Posted via the Android Central App

fonejacker77

May 16, 2015
Visit site

I've cut 2 sims with scissors, easy job. You will cut off a bit of the gold chip but don't worry.

Posted via the Android Central App

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

Just go into a corporate (not authorized retailer) Verizon store and they should be able to quickly provide you with and activate a new SIM for free. I did it when I got my 5X. The potential problem with ordering a nano SIM and trying to activate it yourself in the 5X is that, at least when I took it in a few months ago, Verizon's network did not recognize the phone and the rep had to use another dummy phone to activate the SIM. Once he did that, it worked flawlessly in the 5X. I personally wouldn't try cutting it down, but that's just me.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site

Just go into a corporate (not authorized retailer) Verizon store and they should be able to quickly provide you with and activate a new SIM for free. I did it when I got my 5X. The potential problem with ordering a nano SIM and trying to activate it yourself in the 5X is that, at least when I took it in a few months ago, Verizon's network did not recognize the phone and the rep had to use another dummy phone to activate the SIM. Once he did that, it worked flawlessly in the 5X. I personally wouldn't try cutting it down, but that's just me.
I feel the same. Cutting it to me means that you can't ever go back unless you go back to get a new sim, and that's kind of pointless to me.

Mitch R.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
It's a 2 part process. First you ask them to send you a nano SIM. Once you get the SIM, call them and simply say "I need to do a SIM card swap". They'll ask for the old and new SIM card numbers and bam, you're done. This is what I did and I didn't have any problems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall