Contact ringtones being ignored

TheCodeFiend

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
I want a custom ringtone to go off when a specific person calls me.

I have been troubleshooting this for the last 20 minutes. The ringtone is an mp3 file. The mp3 plays just fine on my computer. I have copied it to the phone's Ringtones folder via USB, and it plays just fine on my phone. It shows up just fine in the Ringtones list, and plays fine when I select it. When I do select it as the default ringtone, it works when anyone calls me.

However, when I set the ringtone on a contact and the contact calls me, Android ignores the custom ringtone and instead plays the default ringtone. I've also noticed it's not just the custom ringtone. Android will also ignore any ringtone including system ringtones if tied to a contact. The default ringtone is used no matter what. The phone recognizes the contact from their phone number. It is not a linked contact, so that's not it either.

Yes, I have tried rebooting after everything I tried above. I have also tried clearing the storage cache.

I am running the latest version with the February security updates.

Is anyone else having this issue? If so, have you found a solution?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Open the People or Contact application and find the contact. Select edit, choose ringtone. From there, you can choose the ringtone you want to set for that contact.

If that doesn't stick, then you can use a third-party application (rings extended) to set a ringtone for a contact. If the first option doesn't work the second will.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I want a custom ringtone to go off when a specific person calls me.

I have been troubleshooting this for the last 20 minutes. The ringtone is an mp3 file. The mp3 plays just fine on my computer. I have copied it to the phone's Ringtones folder via USB, and it plays just fine on my phone. It shows up just fine in the Ringtones list, and plays fine when I select it. When I do select it as the default ringtone, it works when anyone calls me.

However, when I set the ringtone on a contact and the contact calls me, Android ignores the custom ringtone and instead plays the default ringtone. I've also noticed it's not just the custom ringtone. Android will also ignore any ringtone including system ringtones if tied to a contact. The default ringtone is used no matter what. The phone recognizes the contact from their phone number. It is not a linked contact, so that's not it either.

Yes, I have tried rebooting after everything I tried above. I have also tried clearing the storage cache.

I am running the latest version with the February security updates.

Is anyone else having this issue? If so, have you found a solution?

Works as expected for me using @srkmagnus' instructions. You do have to SAVE the edit when you set up a custom ringtone.

TheCodeFiend

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Open the People or Contact application and find the contact. Select edit, choose ringtone. From there, you can choose the ringtone you want to set for that contact.

If that doesn't stick, then you can use a third-party application (rings extended) to set a ringtone for a contact. If the first option doesn't work the second will.

The first method is the one I was using, and I was saving my changes. It doesn't work.

The second method does not work either unfortunately. Rings Extended does show the correct ringtone, and it previews it. I go back in to make sure it's still set properly, and it is, but when the contact calls, I still get the default ringtone. :(

Any other ideas?

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The first method is the one I was using, and I was saving my changes. It doesn't work.

The second method does not work either unfortunately. Rings Extended does show the correct ringtone, and it previews it. I go back in to make sure it's still set properly, and it is, but when the contact calls, I still get the default ringtone. :(

Any other ideas?

Test in safe mode to see if you have an app that is interfering with how things are supposed to work.

Jims S5

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Just a dumb thought. Try restarting your phone. I was having an issue where I changed a setting and did not take. Restarted the phone and it worked.

TheCodeFiend

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
I rebooted into safe mode, saved the contact with a different tone, then went back and saved the contact with the custom tone, then I had the contact call me. I'm still getting the default ringtone. I even tried rebooting again. Still no luck.

GlennTX

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Do your Contact/Phone app's have permissions to use "Storage"? If not they may not be able to even "see" the custom sounds.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, thank you for the ideas. I hope this gets fixed in future updates.

Uh, since this feature works for most of us, that leads one to believe that this is something unique to YOUR device and not something that needs to be addressed by a Google Update.

Have you tried Safe Mode to see if a 3rd party app is preventing this feature from functioning properly?

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
Alas, I now have this exact problem since I just upgraded from Moto G 2nd Gen running Android 5.1 to Moto G4 running Android 7.0. It worked fine on old Moto G; now it doesn't.
Custom ringtones are ignored for individual contacts.
Have tried running in safe mode - same results.
Have tried shutting phone off and on - same result.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Alas, I now have this exact problem since I just upgraded from Moto G 2nd Gen running Android 5.1 to Moto G4 running Android 7.0. It worked fine on old Moto G; now it doesn't.
Custom ringtones are ignored for individual contacts.
Have tried running in safe mode - same results.
Have tried shutting phone off and on - same result.

How and where are the ringtones that you want to use STORED?

Does this work with using ALTERNATE but STOCK ringtones? Or are you trying to use music files that you put on the device?

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
Same thing happens with stock ringtones and mp3 ringtimes.
All ringtones are stored in the normal main storage ringtone folder.
The ringtones I am trying to use show up the dialogue where ringtones are set.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and all dialer and contact apps do have permissions to use storage.

Hmmmm, just tested on a Pixel running 7.1.2 and custom ringtones work just fine.

Motorola has their own forums, with sections for each device. Perhaps post there and see if others with a G4 are experiencing the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codex_umbra