Carrier Advice for 5x

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I am looking for advice on which of the big 4 carriers to go with for a brand new 5x that I just purchased. As I am not a phone guy, I just want to walk in have it set up and work with little to no hassle if possible. Mostly using the phone for work related activities, so tethering/hotspot is the main issue to use the device while away from the office which is the majority of the time for me. Service from carriers is not an issue as I live in a major metro area, and most are pretty solid.

My initial choice was Verizon, but I noticed that there appears to be some issues or were some issues in the past with getting the phone activated, or have the nexus devices been fixed?

Other options are T-Mobile or AT&T but I lack understanding of how each network treats unlocked devices and how compatable they are since searches show some various issues.

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I would go with Project Fi.

It treats all data the same in terms of cost—whether it's domestic or international, and whether it's regular data or hotspot data. If you have unused data, you get refunds on whatever data you didn't use.

It also switches between T-Mobile's network, Sprint's network, and U.S. Cellular's network, based on whichever of the three has the fastest connection (not sure how often it checks, but I haven't experienced any issues).

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I am on AT&T - no issues or problems - I just got a new SIM and everything works fine - including Visual Voice Mail (which I believe does not work on Verizon).

AT&T is very good about unlocked devices on their network - but VoLTE is only available on AT&T locked and provided devices.

NEXUS 5X on AT&T on N DP4

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Go with Project Fi if you don't use a lot of data. Go with Tmo or ATT is you do. With Tmo, they'll only need to pop in a SIM and get your 911 number in their system once they set up your account.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I am on AT&T - no issues or problems - I just got a new SIM and everything works fine - including Visual Voice Mail (which I believe does not work on Verizon).

AT&T is very good about unlocked devices on their network - but VoLTE is only available on AT&T locked and provided devices.

Correct, visual voicemail does not work on verizon. Other than that I've had no issues.

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I would go with Project Fi.

It treats all data the same in terms of cost—whether it's domestic or international, and whether it's regular data or hotspot data. If you have unused data, you get refunds on whatever data you didn't use.

It also switches between T-Mobile's network, Sprint's network, and U.S. Cellular's network, based on whichever of the three has the fastest connection (not sure how often it checks, but I haven't experienced any issues).

Porject Fi is not really viable for me as I will be using large amounts of data due to connecting to work via hotspot. If I was not using it for work or had access to wi-fi on a regular basis I would be trying it out without a doubt.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
The big problem is that we don't know what carriers work the best where you need your phone. The next question would be how much data you need. Both T-Mobile and Sprint have totally unlimited plans, T-Mobile provides 14GB of hotspot service and Sprint only gives 3GB. While AT&T has a data plan with a good amount of hotspot data, you have to be a DirecTV subscriber to qualify for the plan. I'd talk to others, such as co-workers, and see what kind of service they are getting through their carrier in the places you need your phone to work well.

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
The big problem is that we don't know what carriers work the best where you need your phone. The next question would be how much data you need. Both T-Mobile and Sprint have totally unlimited plans, T-Mobile provides 14GB of hotspot service and Sprint only gives 3GB. While AT&T has a data plan with a good amount of hotspot data, you have to be a DirecTV subscriber to qualify for the plan. I'd talk to others, such as co-workers, and see what kind of service they are getting through their carrier in the places you need your phone to work well.

I live in phoenix, az currently, and carriers all work here reasonably well from what research i have done. Data usage is through hotspot is probably going to be around 5-6 GB per month. I am in a slightly unique position in that i am a dedicated field person, to handle various projects and issues, while most of my coworkers have reliable access without tethering or hotspot i will not for the majority of my work day.

The information regarding sprint as well as AT&T was very helpful, so looks like it will be T-mobile or verizon.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Write down what you need in the way of service and have the companies tel you what they have to offer. I don't need cellular data so my plan has unlimited phone calls and unlimited text messages to Mexico/US/Canada but only 300Mb of data. That works for me and it costs $5.75 a month. But, I don't surf the web on the phone if I'm not getting WiFi, I don't do social media regardless, I can wait for emails till I get Wifi, I don't watch movies or play games on my phone. But, that's just me. Oh, and I'm older than most trees and am chronically unemployed.

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I can offer some fresh input on AT&T tech support: had a problem today with getting no data over their network. It turned out to be my AT&T femtocell - but while working with them to determine if it was my N5X, I was blown away - the tech had a full manual on the 5X, did not give me any crap because it is a non-AT&T device, and the steps she provided going through the device were exactly right on.

I was expecting a bunch of BS and wasted time - reality was exactly the opposite.

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
thanks for the information, t-mobile had the best price for what i needed, and with no overage charges unlike the other carriers its the best choice at this time. Setup was painless as well, walked in was out in under 15 minutes.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the information, t-mobile had the best price for what i needed, and with no overage charges unlike the other carriers its the best choice at this time. Setup was painless as well, walked in was out in under 15 minutes.

Just in time for T-Mobile Tuesday! Looks like the free items tomorrow are the $5.50 VUDU credit, $15 Lyft credit, a free small Wendy's Frosty, and a $10 credit at TheClymb.com. You'll need to download the T-Mobile Tuesdays app and most credits have to be redeemed tomorrow and typically used by the end of the week.