Nexus 5X won't turn on

ROB_M

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Not yet. LG's had mine for about a week now and the tracking says "Repair in Progress." Not holding my hopes high though in terms of a refund. Will report back if I hear anything.

Rob_M

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Not yet. LG's had mine for about a week now and the tracking says "Repair in Progress." Not holding my hopes high though in terms of a refund. Will report back if I hear anything.

Rob_M

I contacted LG on Monday after sending my phone in on November 16th. I was told at that time that the Nexus 5X can't be fixed. The main board the phone uses is on back order because of "indefinite death." So the only option is to send me a LG G4 as a replacement. They authorized that on Monday and it still hasn't shipped.

The Nexus 5X is a bit of a disaster if LG isn't even replacing them anymore.

LG's support is so bad I'll never buy a phone made by them ever again.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I contacted LG on Monday after sending my phone in on November 16th. I was told at that time that the Nexus 5X can't be fixed. The main board the phone uses is on back order because of "indefinite death." So the only option is to send me a LG G4 as a replacement. They authorized that on Monday and it still hasn't shipped.

The Nexus 5X is a bit of a disaster if LG isn't even replacing them anymore.

LG's support is so bad I'll never buy a phone made by them ever again.

Interesting that you're getting a G4. Was your 5X within or outside the 1 year warranty period?

pwrOverload

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
So finally got my 5X back from LG. Under repair details it simply states "No Power. Mainboard swapped". The phone is completely wiped, so makes sense.

Overall, the repair experience was not great. The tracking service wasn't working for me - it would always claim my number was invalid. Finally I emailed support with the same number after my shipping tracking number showed it having arrived a couple weeks earlier. They responded with simply with we repaired your phone on [today's date] and it will ship soon.

ROB_M

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
What a SHADY move!!!! LG G4 isn't the phone you bought. If you wanted an LG G4, you would have bought one. Also, how do they know your not with Project Fi like me where you can only use one of the Nexus phones? I will never buy an LG product again either and I will make sure that I let everyone I know and come in contact knows not to buy an LG. Would not be surprised if a class action lawsuit comes out of this. Life is "Not Good" with LG!!!

Rob_M

ROB_M

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
That sucks! It sounds like the same exact issue as mine. How do they proceed to repair yours but on the other hand, they tell someone else that it's not fixable because it's a hardware problem and give them a refund? I'm still waiting to hear back and the website just says "Repair in Progress." I agree that the customer service is a joke! When I called in and told the rep my model, the first thing she told me was to take the battery out and put it back in which is stupid because these batteries aren't removable. I'm very skeptical about the whole refund thing. Why would they offer refunds to some people, but not others? Either way, I'm done with LG. They make cheap products and they don't know how to do the right thing and own up to their mistakes.

Rob_M

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Interesting that you're getting a G4. Was your 5X within or outside the 1 year warranty period?

Yeah, it was one week outside the 1 year warranty. That's why Google Support punted it to LG. Pretty awful customer service experience.

That sucks! It sounds like the same exact issue as mine. How do they proceed to repair yours but on the other hand, they tell someone else that it's not fixable because it's a hardware problem and give them a refund? I'm still waiting to hear back and the website just says "Repair in Progress." I agree that the customer service is a joke! When I called in and told the rep my model, the first thing she told me was to take the battery out and put it back in which is stupid because these batteries aren't removable. I'm very skeptical about the whole refund thing. Why would they offer refunds to some people, but not others? Either way, I'm done with LG. They make cheap products and they don't know how to do the right thing and own up to their mistakes.

Rob_M

The G4 was authorized as a replacement on Decmeber 12th and it still hasn't shipped. It's really unbelievable how awful LG's customer support is at handling this issue. It's been well over a month now since I sent the Nexus 5X in for service.

ROB_M

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Heard back from LG. They are only offering me a G4 or G5 or I can wait 2 weeks for the repair. I told them that the first LG rep told me I would be able to get a refund and I had to go to the mobile repairs site to get the process started. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she wouldn't give me a refund even though I told her that I am on Project Fi and I already purchased a phone because I couldn't wait and be without a phone for that long and also that the G4 and G5 are useless to me on Project Fi. I asked how can they offer refunds to some people and not others. All that she told me was that LG changed their policy and she refused to issue me a refund. I didn't accept it and am just waiting for the repair. I think the G5 would be a pain to try to sell. LG products are garbage!!! Do NOT buy LG!

Rob_M

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Heard back from LG. They are only offering me a G4 or G5 or I can wait 2 weeks for the repair. I told them that the first LG rep told me I would be able to get a refund and I had to go to the mobile repairs site to get the process started. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she wouldn't give me a refund even though I told her that I am on Project Fi and I already purchased a phone because I couldn't wait and be without a phone for that long and also that the G4 and G5 are useless to me on Project Fi. I asked how can they offer refunds to some people and not others. All that she told me was that LG changed their policy and she refused to issue me a refund. I didn't accept it and am just waiting for the repair. I think the G5 would be a pain to try to sell. LG products are garbage!!! Do NOT buy LG!

Rob_M

My replacement phone was supposed to be shipped with 7 business days. It's day 8 now and the phone still hasn't shipped.

Every time I contact support they don't do anything except say they're going to "escalate it" which has accomplished nothing so far:

Merwin: I am so sorry if this is taking so long. I updated your account and submit a follow up. We will be letting you know through email about the shipment of the replacement phone,​

Worst customer support I've ever seen. I'll never buy anything from LG.

Dajakahl

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
[I have just had 2 N5X phones die with this exact issue within a week. They both died after the update. I could not be less impressed.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
[I have just had 2 N5X phones die with this exact issue within a week. They both died after the update. I could not be less impressed.

Seems likely the 5X is a lemon if LG isn't bothering to repair them anymore. Google is fortunate it happened a year after release. So far there hasn't been any negative PR.

ROB_M

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
According to LG, they have a batch of motherboards on order and I have to wait 2 weeks for the fix. I am wondering if it is a new motherboard or the same exact one and if my device is just gonna bootloop soon after I receive it. I do not have much faith in LG products anymore.

Rob_M

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
According to LG, they have a batch of motherboards on order and I have to wait 2 weeks for the fix. I am wondering if it is a new motherboard or the same exact one and if my device is just gonna bootloop soon after I receive it. I do not have much faith in LG products anymore.

Rob_M

They told me they were on backorder before telling me they were replacing the phone. That was on the 12th and they still haven't shipped the replacement. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever getting a phone in return.

pwrOverload

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site

Rob_M

That's a concern of mine - so I've just paid full price and waited a month for a repair, and will this just happen again within the next year? Will LG get to profit from the repair yet again? Mine died while on vacation, but at least it was in the airport for the return flight so just had to survive a flight with no entertainment.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
It's been 16 business days (December 12) since LG said they were sending the G4 to replace the Nexus 5x. There's been no update. I've contacted support numerous times and they never tell me anything new.

It's amazing that any company is this incompetent in 2017.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
It's been 16 business days (December 12) since LG said they were sending the G4 to replace the Nexus 5x. There's been no update. I've contacted support numerous times and they never tell me anything new.

It's amazing that any company is this incompetent in 2017.

It's now 23 business days since the replacement was authorized. Now they're saying it's going to be 5-7 business days from January 12th. It's now been two full months since I sent the phone in for service. Two months and I'm not even getting the same phone I sent in for service. What a debacle.

icstars989

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I came pretty late to this conversation, but just wanted to chime in as well. My 5x stopped functioning, completely unresponsive and wouldn't display anything on the screen. I knew it was working because in a dark room, there would be the faintness of backlight glowing though, but as for any sort of picture, there was none. I sat on it for awhile because I have numerous phones around the house.

Just sent it off for repair on Dec 26 and just yesterday got an email back saying that it was a mainboard and "other" which they fixed and it was covered under warranty. I thought I'd get a refurb back, and the turn around would be quicker, but I'm almost sure I'm receiving my actual phone back lol. It shows being delivered this Wed, so we'll see. Good luck everyone.

vjdj3024

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Just to share my experience, I have Nexus5x and I upgraded it to 7.0 sometime in Dec'16 and few days later it went into a boot loop. Then I googled and found that this is common issue with Nexus 5X and it is a hardware problem. I called Google as my phone was still under warranty and I got this from Google store. The Google customer care was pathetic and after wasting a week with them I contacted LG and they directed me to their repair website. I did sent my phone for repair and got my phone back today with repair results as "Swap Board (Main/RF) : Others" and defect: "Power-Completely off". Let us see how it goes but one thing is for sure no more LG products and the Google customer care sucks so no more Google products (before this I was thinking to upgrade to Pixel, but not now).

If someone has similar experience then please share also will it be fine now to upgrade to Android 7.1.1, suggestions/comments?

icstars989

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Just to share my experience, I have Nexus5x and I upgraded it to 7.0 sometime in Dec'16 and few days later it went into a boot loop. Then I googled and found that this is common issue with Nexus 5X and it is a hardware problem. I called Google as my phone was still under warranty and I got this from Google store. The Google customer care was pathetic and after wasting a week with them I contacted LG and they directed me to their repair website. I did sent my phone for repair and got my phone back today with repair results as "Swap Board (Main/RF) : Others" and defect: "Power-Completely off". Let us see how it goes but one thing is for sure no more LG products and the Google customer care sucks so no more Google products (before this I was thinking to upgrade to Pixel, but not now).

If someone has similar experience then please share also will it be fine now to upgrade to Android 7.1.1, suggestions/comments?

This was exactly the same thing mine said. I'm getting it in the mail today, we'll see.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I finally received the replacement phone... they sent me a G4 that only works with AT&T. We use Verizon. So after over two months the issue isn't resolved. I contacted LG this morning and now their RA tracking system is down so again... they can't help me. This is unbelievable. I feel like I'm being trolled at this point. LG must have the worst support in the world. It's difficult to believe that any company could be this incompetent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87