Nexus protect

linuxmel

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone happen to read the fine print on Nexus protect which cost $89.00 for the 6p.
Quote - It's easy to stay connected. File a claim with our partner Assurant® by phone, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Claims are subject to a $79 deductible and up to 2 incidents of accidental damage coverage over 2 years.

See that $79.00 deductible?
Is anyone buying this with their order?

Posted via the Android Central App

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Aren't deductibles the norm for device insurance these days? $79 isn't bad, considering the cost of replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of a like-new 6P is still over $200 in two years.

linuxmel

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Aren't deductibles the norm for device insurance these days? $79 isn't bad, considering the cost of replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of a like-new 6P is still over $200 in two years.

I can see your point. I had forgotten about deductible 😀

Posted via the Android Central App

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Accidental damage protection does, but that's the one they limit you to two claims on, presumably so they're not on the hook if you're a gigantic klutz and break your phone every few months or whatever.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Personally I'm not a tremendous fan of device insurance: I tend to be very gentle with my things, so accidental damage is rare, and my credit card extends the manufacturer warranty by a year, so I get two years of defect coverage anyway. When I take into account the cost of the plan and the deductible, factoring in the cost of independent/manufacturer repair in the event of accidental damage in the first year and that if I damage my device so badly that I can't use it anymore after a year I'm likely to prefer to replace it with something newer than with the same device... it's usually not worth the cost to me.

Still, it's a nice option to have for those who can't afford surprises.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I have never been a fan of device insurance. I generally am not clumsy and while I'm not obsessive with my phones protection, I don't throw them around. That said, my Nexus 5 flat out died after 1 year. Battery started going from full to dead in less than 3 hours of no use, and one day trying to use it in the rain, screen got wet and went haywire. It was just days past the one year warranty so they couldn't do anything and I ended up having to get a phone off craigslist. My htc one m8 that I got used has been fine, but never as smooth or comfortable as the Nexus 5 :( I want this one to actually last the full 2 years so no chances here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik