Size compared to iPhone

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
What makes it such a letdown exactly? Especially at that price

I was on 5X ship since Day 1 of the rumor-mill, but it's so gimped that I can't justify purchasing it when the 6P is only $70 more than the 32 GB 5X.
  • 2GB DDR3 RAM vs. 3 GB DDR4 RAM
  • No EIS vs. EIS
  • Single Front-Facing Speaker vs. Dual Stereo Speakers
  • Gorilla Glass 3 vs. GG4

With just $70 more, you get all of that + QHD display and a premium metal build.

I pre-ordered an Ice Blue Nexus 5X on Day 1. If you were following the rumors & leaks, then you already knew what RAM and storage options were. The RAM was a disappointment but the Nexus 5 has showed me that I'm not the type person who needs above 32GB of storage. On Day 2, yesterday, I cancelled my pre-order. It seemed like more and more disappointing news about the 5X was coming out of the woodwork.

No EIS and only having a single front-facing speaker were the final straws for me. A Googler flat out stated the 808 chipset wasn't fast enough for EIS. This doesn't sound like a phone I wanted to keep for 2-3 years. On the other hand, the 6P could last me 3 years.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I was on 5X ship since Day 1 of the rumor-mill, but it's so gimped that I can't justify purchasing it when the 6P is only $70 more than the 32 GB 5X.
  • 2GB DDR3 RAM vs. 3 GB DDR4 RAM
  • No EIS vs. EIS
  • Single Front-Facing Speaker vs. Dual Stereo Speakers
  • Gorilla Glass 3 vs. GG4

OK, but for people coming from the Nexus 5 (I have one as well) I still don't see this as a letdown. Is it an inferior phone than the N6P spec for spec obviously.

When the rumors weren't true that the 5X would have front facing dual speakers that one stung a bit but for me it was always about what size phone I want and that's the 6P all the way.

If you look at the 5X for what it is and not trying to compare it to something else like the 6P which it definitely is not, it's no slouch of a phone. The 808 is a perfectly capable processor, we have no indication that 2 gigs of ram isn't plenty for 95% of people and even pretending to be disappointed because the cheaper of the 2 phones has gorilla glass 3 instead of gorilla glass 4.... I can't even take that seriously.

EIS is an unknown really at this point. The sensor looks to be pretty awesome and with those pixel sizes the benefits and need of EIS remain to be seen.

This phone packs a ton including the the imprint and type C connector while keeping a crazy low price point. It's not the right phone for me so I'm not getting it and you don't have to either but stop acting like it's a letdown.

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
It's a letdown for me. I thought that was clear. I don't care if others don't feel the same way and I already gave my reasoning.

The 5X is so much of a lateral upgrade that I can't say it's a steal like the 5 was.

The 6P has flagship level specs of a $650+ phone at only ~500. Now that's a steal.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a letdown for me. I thought that was clear. I don't care if others don't feel the same way and I already gave my reasoning.

The 5X is so much of a lateral upgrade that I can't say it's a steal like the 5 was.

The 6P has flagship level specs of a $650+ phone at only ~500. Now that's a steal.

It's all a matter of what you want and these are 2 phones that appeal to different people.

If you, like myself, gravitate towards the 6P then more power to you. The 6P is the closest thing I've seen to my "dream phone" yet.

The 5X is just not meant to be what the 6P is. It's like looking at a Chevy Cruise next to Corvette. The cruise may be a great car for what it is but if you park it next to a corvette and start comparing of course it won't measure up nor is it meant to.

For anyone who appreciates pure android, instant updates and wants that in a compact size there is no better option than the 5X.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It's all a matter of what you want and these are 2 phones that appeal to different people.

If you, like myself, gravitate towards the 6P then more power to you. The 6P is the closest thing I've seen to my "dream phone" yet.

The 5X is just not meant to be what the 6P is. It's like looking at a Chevy Cruise next to Corvette. The cruise may be a great car for what it is but if you park it next to a corvette and start comparing of course it won't measure up nor is it meant to.

For anyone who appreciates pure android, instant updates and wants that in a compact size there is no better option than the 5X.

I would say comparatively that the Nexus 5x isn't as highend as the Nexus 5 was, respective to when they were launched. When the 5 launched, it had a SD800, a display with the highest resolution available at the time, and most everything in there was as good as competitor's flagships. Whereas the 5x has a processor that is considered second tier, even with issues the 810 has and a lower GPU as well. When you looked at a Nexus 5, it was in the same range as the top end flagships of the time, while the 5x is a capable midrange device. They essentially moved the 5x down a tier and gave it's position relative to 2013 to the 6p. I think that's the point he's trying to make.

As for me, if they included the FFS and at least a 64GB storage option, I'd be going with the 5x, regardless of the 810, ddr4, and EIS. But since it doesn't have it, I'm going to try out the 6p in 128GB and hope I can deal with the size. It's funny to, because I remember when the Droid Incredible came out and there was talk of all these 4.3" devices coming out, someone posted a pic of a guy holding a phone the size of a Nexus 7 to his ear, and everyone thought that was hilarious. A few years later it's a reality.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I would say comparatively that the Nexus 5x isn't as highend as the Nexus 5 was, respective to when they were launched. When the 5 launched, it had a SD800, a display with the highest resolution available at the time, and most everything in there was as good as competitor's flagships. Whereas the 5x has a processor that is considered second tier, even with issues the 810 has and a lower GPU as well. When you looked at a Nexus 5, it was in the same range as the top end flagships of the time, while the 5x is a capable midrange device. They essentially moved the 5x down a tier and gave it's position relative to 2013 to the 6p. I think that's the point he's trying to make.

OK, and thanks for the well written response. My take is the spec differences between the 5X and the 6P don't amount to the real world difference we saw with phones in 2013.

The 808 processor is in Moto's flagship and I can tell you firsthand it runs just fine and doesn't make you feel like you're getting a second tier experience.

1080p is still common on every phone I can think of with a screen size of <=5"

Getting back to the original comment of being disappointed when the specs came IMO the only "compromise" that will really affect the user experience is the single speaker and even that is an upgrade from the original N5.

If you liked what you saw when the phone originally leaked and then they priced it as low as they did I say just be nothing but happy.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, and thanks for the well written response. My take is the spec differences between the 5X and the 6P don't amount to the real world difference we saw with phones in 2013.

The 808 processor is in Moto's flagship and I can tell you firsthand it runs just fine and doesn't make you feel like you're getting a second tier experience.

1080p is still common on every phone I can think of with a screen size of <=5"

Getting back to the original comment of being disappointed when the specs came IMO the only "compromise" that will really affect the user experience is the single speaker and even that is an upgrade from the original N5.

If you liked what you saw when the phone originally leaked and then they priced it as low as they did I say just be nothing but happy.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Except like I said, the storage is also an issue. I've got my Turbo 64GB about full so I'll need something larger. My original plan was to go with a 64GB X Pure and put an SD card in it. But since I'm a bit wary of Motorola as of late, I went Nexus. Too bad they didn't include expandable storage, especially since they brought it back in Marshmallow.

adamleonard

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Same reaction - I ordered the 5X and then immediately canceled and ordered the 6P. I have a 32GB 5 now. I need at least 64GB. If I could have gotten the 5X with with 64GB, I'd have been happy (especially if it also had 3GB of ram - I am fine with the plastic, 1080P, 808 specs otherwise). I actually got to hold a 6P today at an event in Austin - Huawei was there showing off their watch and I mentioned I wished they had brought a 6P and the Huawei guy I was talking to pulled out his personal phone. It's really big. It is virtually identically-sized to the iPhone 6S Plus (.9mm taller, .1mm narrower, same thickness). It is going to take a lot of getting used to. This phone had an incredibly thin case on it that was great but the guy said he got it from Huawei with the phone. Will need to look at the Huawei site to see if they put it out - this things looked like it the phone was dipped in plastic, and dried it was so tight.

tangozebra

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I have been carrying around a borrowed iPhone 6+ for a few days now to see how I would deal with the size of the Nexus 6P. My current phone is a 2014 Moto X with a bumper case. I really like my phones naked but the Moto X was just too slippery in hand. I never used a case on my Nexus 5 and was fine.

Compared to my Moto X with case the naked iPhone 6+ it just a little taller, same width and a lot thinner. In my pockets, the thinness offsets the tallness, so overall it is at least as pocket-able. The metal body of the iPhone 6+ is pretty slippery. I've heard a few hands on reviewers of the 6P say the metal is "soft" so I am hoping it is has some grip to it. It it needs a case to have a good grip that's a deal killer to me.

Of course, I have pre-ordered both a 5X and 6P (insert silent cry for help). I know I will like the way the 5X feels in hand, but I'm worried the screen will be dull like the original 5. The 6P is just not that much bigger if it can be used without a case, and all the better specs especially the awesome screen might be worth it.

So my decision will come down to is the 5X screen is vibrant and does the 6P metal frame have a good grip.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I think the 5x is a letdown more so for some because of the ram. Not the 2gb, but it being ddr3 rather than ddr4 which even the iPhone has. That and with the price being so close to the 6P, it is almost a no brainer to go with the 6P if you plan to keep the device more than a year or two.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
It's the price difference that kills the 5X to me. I was ALL for the 5X up until announcement day. I wanted nothing to do with the bigger nexus phone after seeing the nexus 6...but...then it turned out to be pretty fantastic specs for only a little more money.

If the specs had been the way they were but the 5X started at 349 like the 5 and the 6p started at 649 like any normal flagship phone, then I'd have gotten the 5X and been completely and totally happy with it. I still think the 5X would be a terrific phone and I'd love to have it. But knowing how much more I get for $70 makes the 6P the winner.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I have been carrying around a borrowed iPhone 6+ for a few days now to see how I would deal with the size of the Nexus 6P. My current phone is a 2014 Moto X with a bumper case. I really like my phones naked but the Moto X was just too slippery in hand. I never used a case on my Nexus 5 and was fine.

Compared to my Moto X with case the naked iPhone 6+ it just a little taller, same width and a lot thinner. In my pockets, the thinness offsets the tallness, so overall it is at least as pocket-able. The metal body of the iPhone 6+ is pretty slippery. I've heard a few hands on reviewers of the 6P say the metal is "soft" so I am hoping it is has some grip to it. It it needs a case to have a good grip that's a deal killer to me.

Of course, I have pre-ordered both a 5X and 6P (insert silent cry for help). I know I will like the way the 5X feels in hand, but I'm worried the screen will be dull like the original 5. The 6P is just not that much bigger if it can be used without a case, and all the better specs especially the awesome screen might be worth it.

So my decision will come down to is the 5X screen is vibrant and does the 6P metal frame have a good grip.

Exactly same here. I overlayed my '14MotoX w/bumper on top of the i6s+ (virtually identical in all dimensions to the 6P) and the only difference is ~1/2inch in height. In hand width is virtually identical. Was really surprised the difference was that small. However, the 6P is only doable for me if it can feel secure in hand w/o a case or bumper naked.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't think either 5x or 6p have EIS.

1080p is likely better for most than higher res, unless you have eagle eyes (lucky you) or plan using the phone under a microscope (better battery life and likely faster and more free mem). OTOH, the screen on the 6p (Samsung's latest, supposedly) should be better regardless of pixel density).

The 5x maxing out at 32gb... Boo!

Unfortunate, but seems that overcharging for memory is the main profit center phone makers have left. $50 per 32gb on 6P (even worse on 5x)?! Ridiculous.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't think either 5x or 6p have EIS.

1080p is likely better for most than higher res, unless you have eagle eyes (lucky you) or plan using the phone under a microscope (better battery life and likely faster and more free mem). OTOH, the screen on the 6p (Samsung's latest, supposedly) should be better regardless of pixel density).

The 5x maxing out at 32gb... Boo!

Unfortunate, but seems that overcharging for memory is the main profit center phone makers have left. $50 per 32gb on 6P (even worse on 5x)?! Ridiculous.

Neither have OIS. I think the only difference in camera from 6p to 5x is EIS in the 6p (and slow mo rate in video camera).

http://www.slashgear.com/5-nexus-6p5x-features-google-didnt-tell-you-about-30407296/

Posted via the Android Central App and my Galaxy S6

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non