Activating on Sprint

djohnb2012

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Ordered a Graphite 6P the other day and have the V5 SIM card from Sprint shipping to my home as we speak. I'm a little worried that activating the phone will mess with the grandfathered unlimited data plan my parents and I have. From everyone's experience, what's the best way to go about activating the SIM and the phone on Sprint that what mess with my plan? Also is there some kind of discount for bringing your own device or is that only if you start a new plan with your own device?

Thanks for the help.

asnigro

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering what a person has to do with Sprint to switch over to the 6P as well.

I am coming from an HTC ONE M7 that I've had since its launched on day 1. So one has to call Sprint and order a new SIM card versus just popping out the one in their old phone (if it had one)? Do I have to call them and do some sort of activation process? Probably some ridiculous $40 charge associated with that I'd assume.

I too am on a grandfathered Unlimited plan that we've had for many years (been with Sprint since 2000-ish). Since these aren't carrier subsidized, I wouldnt think we'd have a problem with it screwing up the plan.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help.

I was wondering what a person has to do with Sprint to switch over to the 6P as well.

I am also a long time Sprint customer with unlimited (SERO) plan. I asked this very question on the great sprint forum S4GRU.com

Here is a link to that forum to clear some things up:

Huawei Nexus 6P Activation Info - Huawei - S4GRU Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

It looks like it is a simple process as long as you have the correct sim card. You let sprint know the proper identification numbers from the phone so they can add it to your account. Then turn the phone off. Put the sim card in and boot the phone.

That should do it and Sprint even shows the proper 6P image on your account page :D

asnigro

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Are the SIM cards free? Is there an activation charge if you do it over the phone or with their online tool?

djohnb2012

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site

I am coming from an HTC ONE M7 that I've had since its launched on day 1. So one has to call Sprint and order a new SIM card versus just popping out the one in their old phone (if it had one)? Do I have to call them and do some sort of activation process? Probably some ridiculous $40 charge associated with that I'd assume.

I too am on a grandfathered Unlimited plan that we've had for many years (been with Sprint since 2000-ish). Since these aren't carrier subsidized, I wouldnt think we'd have a problem with it screwing up the plan.

That's crazy! I'm upgrading from the M7 and on the old Share Everything as well. One of my all time favorite phones but I want Marshmallow. Hoping a simple call to Sprint will do the trick. I'll have to check out that forum.

I know I have the right SIM too because I verified 4 times with the Sprint Chat rep and the order confirmation. haha

djohnb2012

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Are the SIM cards free? Is there an activation charge if you do it over the phone or with their online tool?

My sim card was free but I had the option to upgrade shipping for a fee. Just contact the International Chat and request the SIM using the following information:
Sprint UPC# 019962040146
Sprint Part# SIMGLW446C
GEM LTE+GSM REM 4FF CSIM V512015-09-15

Not sure if there will be an activation fee. I saw over on reddit that some were charged up to $40 while others had no fee at all.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

I had my sim shipped to me. They sent it overnight and it was free. I am not expecting an activation fee.

I am still using my S5 until my cases/screen protectors come in the mail. I will be activating mine soon!

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Should be free to activate on your account. I just did my nexus 6 last month and was charged nothing. I had to pay for the sim card for the nexus 6p this time for the shipping, but I haven't activated it just yet. I want my phone set up just how I like it before I do so I'm not trying to scramble around figuring things out.

Going from sense to stock about killed me with my ocd - lol! Now that I'm using nova and have things memorized, and muscle memory reset, it's better. I'm hoping to activate tonight.

Posted via the Android Central App

asnigro

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Called Sprint last night. Got the 3 SIM cards for our new phones ordered last night for free (and shipped for free) should be here Monday. Not sure what to do when they come other than slot them in and go from there.

Yes, coming from Sense 6 on the HTC M7, having to move/organize all my apps into the folders is kind of a pain and I'm surprised I had to do all that again. I would imagine sticking with Nexus in the future I shouldnt have to do that again.

DannyDefinit

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I activated my 6P on Sprint last night. Did it via webchat with a customer service rep, where I just gave them the IMEI and SIM #, and they gave me the instructions to program the device from the phone dialer (basically unlocking the Update PRL and Device Config settings). Had to then shut the phone off for about 2 hours, then turn it back on, and it finally connected to the network.

I renewed my contract back in April, so I'm still under my old unlimited plan. I didn't check to see if I'm going to be charged an activation fee however.

asnigro

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Just activated two phones via the online chat. Very easy. Took about 5 minutes per phone.

Just gave the IMEI and SIM card #, turned off, turned back on and voila. Very easy.