Google Nexus 6P Doze...unbelievable

sevoman

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I've always wondered what Doze will do on a flight. I understand that it uses internal gps/gyros to see if the phone is moving and if it's not then it puts almost everything in the background as it assumes the phone is not being used. Now let's say it's in your pocket and you are walking around, or it's next to you in the car or you're on a flight where the phone IS being moved around... does doze still work the same. Is it screen off = doze or is it phone remaining perfectly still = doze ?

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I've always wondered what Doze will do on a flight. I understand that it uses internal gps/gyros to see if the phone is moving and if it's not then it puts almost everything in the background as it assumes the phone is not being used. Now let's say it's in your pocket and you are walking around, or it's next to you in the car or you're on a flight where the phone IS being moved around... does doze still work the same. Is it screen off = doze or is it phone remaining perfectly still = doze ?

Doze will not work in any of your situations. Any movement prevents or wakes the feature. Also, it's my understanding that it has to horizontal

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Doze...unbelievable

My first full day with the 6P was yesterday and the battery life was not impressing me at all. I was expecting more out of the doze feature but was losing three to four percent per hour with no activity. I did a reboot and gave it a full charge before bed last night so I could unplug it at 100 and let it sit over night. I woke up 6 hours later to a 98% full battery. Whatever the initial issue was, it's fine now. Just left it alone for an hour this afternoon and the battery didn't budge then either. Very happy.

Don't forget it will take a few, full discharge and recharge cycles for your battery to settle in.... It increases overs the first few cycles

Posted via my Nokia 8210 from the inside of a Kitten.

sevoman

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Doze will not work in any of your situations. Any movement prevents or wakes the feature. Also, it's my understanding that it has to horizontal

That's what I was afraid of. I wonder why they just can't 'suspend' apps into memory to conserve power. Hate to say it, but when I use my iPhone, as long as I am not turning the screen on, regardless of movement it really conserves a ton of power. From what I understand iOS puts app in a suspended sate and does not use power. If Doze does the same thing then why tie it into the movement based vs screen being on or off based? Makes more sense. Only at night is the phone really sitting still with zero movement.

jwrezz

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I gotta see this on my n6. I plug it in when ever on the night stand, and can't keep it outta my hands long enough otherwise for doze to kick in!

Dorknight

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I left my phone unplugged over night last night, and I got almost 20% battery drain. Wifi on with good reception, and nothing else special. I really have not had any luck with Doze so far. Very disappointed. No apps are showing any significant battery usage too. Not even Facebook/Messenger.

This screenshot is 4:40 in the afternoon. I woke up around 10 AM. Does Doze look like this? I thought it should be a lot more flat for the graph.

Screenshot_20160501-162758.jpg

Last edited:

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
It would be nice if doze had a pocket option as well. The know it would affect fitness tracking. But that's what my watch is for. Doze in pocket, let watch track movement, then when I pull my phone out of my pocket it syncs up. Only time I want a call is when I am making one. Lol. Maybe there is a subsystem that keeps the phone active and shuts down the data part of the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
This is present in Android N.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I left my phone unplugged over night last night, and I got almost 20% battery drain. Wifi on with good reception, and nothing else special. I really have not had any luck with Doze so far. Very disappointed. No apps are showing any significant battery usage too. Not even Facebook/Messenger.

This screenshot is 4:40 in the afternoon. I woke up around 10 AM. Does Doze look like this? I thought it should be a lot more flat for the graph.

View attachment 226207

Even if it is an app, the app still likely won't be showing usage. Basically, you need your phone rooted and running an app like Wakelock detector or GSAM Battery Monitor to find the actual app, because of the way the apps interact with Android on Wakelocks (Android reports it as Android doing it rather than the app).

I'm guessing you have already removed apps like Facebook, WeatherBug, and GasBuddy, all of which are known to keep the phone Awake.

Dorknight

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Even if it is an app, the app still likely won't be showing usage. Basically, you need your phone rooted and running an app like Wakelock detector or GSAM Battery Monitor to find the actual app, because of the way the apps interact with Android on Wakelocks (Android reports it as Android doing it rather than the app).

I'm guessing you have already removed apps like Facebook, WeatherBug, and GasBuddy, all of which are known to keep the phone Awake.

I actually got my phone to Doze all night last night! It was my app I use, Light Manager. I changed one setting that actually noted it could cause wake locks.

I have Facebook and Messenger installed, and have had no problems with them for battery/wake issues. I also use Weather Timeline for weather, and I drive an electric car, so I don't need gas :p

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I should have been more clear, Facebook is known more for merely killing battery life, not necessarily for keeping the phone awake. Additionally, while GasBuddy can cause the phone to stay awake, it appears to be tied somehow with Bluetooth -- if you turn Bluetooth off then GasBuddy likely won't cause issues. Of course, these are only the most common causes people have found, not the only ones -- in particular there seem to be some apps, like you found with Light Manager, that can cause issues with certain settings enabled.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Never really thought about Doze saving battery power so I fully charged my 6P the other night and left it on my bedside table from 11pm til 6.30 am...only used 3% of battery.....well pleased!

Dorknight

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Never really thought about Doze saving battery power so I fully charged my 6P the other night and left it on my bedside table from 11pm til 6.30 am...only used 3% of battery.....well pleased!
Yup see! I tried it at work, but it didn't Doze. At least according to GSam it didn't.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Doze works fine at night for me. I usually plug my phone when going to bed but tested it this past weekend. Lost only 2% over eight hours. I wish there was a way to see how much time Doze has actually activated over the course of the day.

Dorknight

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Doze works fine at night for me. I usually plug my phone when going to bed but tested it this past weekend. Lost only 2% over eight hours. I wish there was a way to see how much time Doze has actually activated over the course of the day.

GSAM actually shows that ;) Yeah seems like you have to keep it still for like an hour based on my charts

Go to Graphs > Other

Ron Copsetta

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
With Android N there working on doze working even if the phone is on you and your walking around

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually hesitant to use a 3rd party app for batteries as I've heard some of them actually increase battery drain.

Some do, but the good ones are OK... GSAM, Battery Monitor Widget, Wakelock Detector and Better Battery Stats are OK though, as long as you don't turn on aggressive logging (which is there for troubleshooting anyhow)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87