Thinking of buying a 6p? Don't read the forums!

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
A large chunk of the posts are a mix of non credible posts. When you're reading forum complaints you have to sift through people blaming problems that end up being their error rather than the phone, severe ridiculousness, jealousy, and yes in some cases even lies.

You should see the tech communities on Google+ if you think forums are bad. For people who claim their phone is better than the Nexus 6p they invest a very interesting amount of time and effort hating on the 6p lol. Envy makes people behave very poorly

rockledgefl

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Mine will be here Thursday and I'm more worried about adjusting to Project Fi coming from Verizon than I am about the phone itself .. I'm pretty sure the phone will be great .. That many people can't be wrong .. Can they? lol

Posted via the Android Central App

I've been on Fi for over a month after 10 years on AT&T. Service is perfect both at home on WiFi and out on either T-Mobile or sprint. This deal saves me $40+ a month and the call quality is much much better than I ever had on my Note3 with AT&T.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well... it's like this everywhere. People tend to be most vocal about complaints. When businesses put out comment cards asking for feedback, happy people tend to toss them and people with an ax to grind usually go "I'll give them a piece of my mind, let me tell you"

Like with most things, as long as you understand the context, you'll be fine. Forums are awesome to find out what the potential issues you might face will be... but most of the time, you also find the resolution to those issues. Plus, it shows that everyone's stuff stinks. :)

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for over a month and have experienced almost no issues. The only minor thing is that when I upgraded to 6.0.1 the radio does seem to fall back to HSPA+ a bit too much for my liking (I'm on Cricket AT&T MVNO). Most of the time I'm on WiFi anyway for data.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I would never let a forum make my decision on what I spend my money.

Don't get me wrong forums/sites like Android Central are amazing but there's always going to be fanboys/haters that like to spread BS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I would never let a forum make my decision on what I spend my money.

Don't get me wrong forums/sites like Android Central are amazing but there's always going to be fanboys/haters that like to spread BS.

I don't think he said the forums made his decision. I think it was more of an observation.

I do read the forums when I am considering a device purchase. I want to read the problems people are having. But I am tech person, so I have a good idea of when something has a legit complaint, where the user has actually taken logical and common sense steps to resolve it. I filter it and I also apply manufacturers statements to the problems. If the mfg makes a statement, it brings a lot of credibility to problem.

There are also different types of problems. Is it the manufacturers customer service, a software issue waiting on Google patch, or truly a manufacturing defect. There are certain manufacturers I won't recommend to certain types of people (friends and family). If someone expects a lot hand holding and has absolutely no desire to learn some tech tricks, I sometimes will even point them to Apple.

In short, it all about how you filter things. If you can't discern legit problems from user failure or if you get in a panic without much to substantiate it, then yeah, don't read the forums. Otherwise, for me it is an invaluable resource of knowledge.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. We should have a thread where people talk about how much they love their phone and make it a sticky.

I started one a week or so ago. It's not a sticky but it's called "Am I the only one with a perfect 6p" ... I'm probably gonna start a new one soon, asking people what they like best about it ... keep the positive energy going, especially as we approach the new year!

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Man oh man. If you are someone like me who is interested in this phone the worst thing you can do is read the threads on this forum. You'd swear this is the worst phone ever built. No volume in speakers. Bends when you put it in your pocket. Screen burn in, faulty noise cancelation feature, terrible bluetooth, and it will fry if you attach the wrong cable to charge. Woe is me. Mine should arrive on Friday. If I took all this seriously I'd be scared to death right now. I've seen this over and over with every phone I've bought. All have been perfectly fine and gave me great service. I'm expecting the same with this one.

Nexus devices are always budget low end devices quality wise but pack a power punch with specs horsepower. Not a surprise the 6p bends so easy.

When someone tells you they got a Nexus you know they are a coupon hunter or a on a tight budget. Its always been this way. They are the best value in the market!

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
LOL, great posts here. Where are the haters? This is way to much fun

usually on social media apps or in article comment fields where it's easier to get away with drive-by pot shots. Forums provide a better chance that their arguments will get shot down ;)

cane prevost1

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Mine is here. Looks great. Came pre scratched on the back. A couple of tiny hairline scratches. Won't bother with them. Now I don't have to worry when I make more. Man I missed Android after a stint with Windows Phone. Google everything!

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Nexus devices are always budget low end devices quality wise but pack a power punch with specs horsepower. Not a surprise the 6p bends so easy.

When someone tells you they got a Nexus you know they are a coupon hunter or a on a tight budget. Its always been this way. They are the best value in the market!

If you bought the Nexus 6 or 6p when they were both released you are far from a coupon hunter or on a tight budget. People that pay $500+ for a phone in the US (even more overseas) are paying for a class leading device. Now the unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, and 5 were lost cost phones with high end specs when the Google Store made them available.

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Mine is here. Looks great. Came pre scratched on the back. A couple of tiny hairline scratches. Won't bother with them. Now I don't have to worry when I make more. Man I missed Android after a stint with Windows Phone. Google everything!

Maybe they did you a favor. It was bound to happen. I hate getting that first scratch or ding, it really bums me out. Now you can just be mad at them and not suffer the grief.

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
If you bought the Nexus 6 or 6p when they were both released you are far from a coupon hunter or on a tight budget. People that pay $500+ for a phone in the US (even more overseas) are paying for a class leading device. Now the unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, and 5 were lost cost phones with high end specs when the Google Store made them available.

All a matter of perspective and location. I wouldn't classify it as a budget phone. I would say that is a high end phone at a price that all of them should start at to begin with. In short, it just isn't overpriced.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
All a matter of perspective and location. I wouldn't classify it as a budget phone. I would say that is a high end phone at a price that all of them should start at to begin with. In short, it just isn't overpriced.

exactly, not even close to a budget phone ... IMO it's easily the best phone available right now

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
While I can't say its the best phone right now since I have only had it a day. This phone seems to be rock solid.

The phone just runs smooth. No lag. No stutters. Apps open without issue and switching between apps is so far very smooth.

I understand that not every phone is for everyone but so far this seems to be a great device. And the price is tops also.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Do you actually own a 6p or have you at least spent any hands on time with it? It doesn't bend easy. Jerryrigeverything from what I can tell participates in strongman or bodybuilding competitions. When he was bending the 6p his fingers were white, which indicates blanching. Blanching means you are forcing all the blood out of your fingers or any body part for that matter. It's where the term "white knuckle driving" comes from, you're gripping the wheel so tight that it forces the blood out and your knuckles turn white. So that means a man of above average strength is pressing so hard his fingers are white. So it's not like you could bend it by hand by accident, you need to use a lot of force deliberately.

lew87ys

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking about getting a 6p over the last few weeks for Christmas but after looking at this forum and reddit it really put me off buying one. A few days ago i said **** it and bought the frost 64gb. I have 15 days to use it and return it if i dknt like it.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking about getting a 6p over the last few weeks for Christmas but after looking at this forum and reddit it really put me off buying one. A few days ago i said **** it and bought the frost 64gb. I have 15 days to use it and return it if i dknt like it.

You have until January 22nd to return it. Google extended the return period for the holidays.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87