No update showing for January security patch on Nexus 6P

VermaEklavya

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello. I just read somewhere that google has released security patches for January for its supported Nexus devices. I haven't received any OTA update yet. I also read on developers-dot-google that flashing the factory image with the security patches will erase all user data, and I definitely do not want to be tinkering with my phone so early in its life cycle (I have had it only a week, sorry I am a bit conservative that way lol). I am in New Zealand, and the box my phone came in had common information for Australia and New Zealand (as is the case with most things here in NZ :p). Any ideas when the update would appear OTA?

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
It takes some time to roll out to everybody. Mine usually takes about a week to two weeks after it goes live..

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The OTA hasn't been released just yet. The patch is available by other means just not OTA.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Or I take that back (as said above) it just started going out. They do them in batches so we will all eventually get it.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello. I just read somewhere that google has released security patches for January for its supported Nexus devices. I haven't received any OTA update yet. I also read on developers-dot-google that flashing the factory image with the security patches will erase all user data, and I definitely do not want to be tinkering with my phone so early in its life cycle (I have had it only a week, sorry I am a bit conservative that way lol). I am in New Zealand, and the box my phone came in had common information for Australia and New Zealand (as is the case with most things here in NZ :p). Any ideas when the update would appear OTA?

That's why you want to unlock your bootloader right when you get the phone. You can then flash all day long and your user data will NOT get wiped out (just don't flash the user image).
I already flashed the Jan security image. The beauty of having a Nexus is that you don't have to wait for mercy to arrive lol.

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
That's why you want to unlock your bootloader right when you get the phone. You can then flash all day long and your user data will NOT get wiped out (just don't flash the user image).
I already flashed the Jan security image. The beauty of having a Nexus is that you don't have to wait for mercy to arrive lol.
That's what I did. Had some time today and downloaded from Google. Felt like flashing.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I get the monthly update about the third week of the month. I don't know how Google stages the updates. I can only tell you that I have a 6P & a 5X (T-Mobile and Project Fi). Both handsets get the update about the same time.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Where are you located? I think it's released by geographical region. I don't usually get mine until the 3rd week. I'm in NYC.

It isn't. My buddy at work gets his later than I do and I had my phone before him -- yet we work and play in the same city. It really is in batches vs the location of the phone.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Just got mine. Is this how Nexus phones handle updates? If so, that's pretty badass! I was just fiddling around and it let me know and also what the update was.

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Just got mine. Is this how Nexus phones handle updates? If so, that's pretty badass! I was just fiddling around and it let me know and also what the update was.

Yup. Minimally invasive overall. I'm pleased.

I'm concerned about the reliability of updates based on the issues Nexus 6 users have been having.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Got my security update this morning. Love being on a Nexus! My damn Note 5 is still sitting in my drawer awaiting 6.0.

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Got my security update this morning. Love being on a Nexus! My damn Note 5 is still sitting in my drawer awaiting 6.0.

At the risk of getting flamed, it's really nice to get the iOS update experience on an Android advice. Even if it's delayed a couple of days, it's great to know you have the latest and greatest software Google has to offer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89