Why do I hear no sound when I call "ok Google?"

MotorDr

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.
I have also been having this problem for a while. I did not have an app that needed the Switch Access service but i did notice that installing Google Talkback installed this service. However enabling Switch Access with Talkback disables the Samsung Always On Display.
I ended up uninstalling Talkback and installing Clean Master Lite. This allowed the OK Google sound to work and also have Always On display to work.
Hopefully they will do an update that will allow the sound to be on without installing unnecessary software.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem as the OP.
My Trio tablet running 4.2.2 doesn't chime like it used to on hearing "Ok Google" ...it vibrates a bit but that's all. It DID work at one time but no more! I have read all the threads and tried all the suggestions:
Removing and re installing Google
Installing Clean Sweep, checking for the chime and then removing CS
My SETTINGS menu has NO "Switch Access" and turning ON Talkback did not make it appear in ACCESSIBILITY as it did for some folks.

If there's somewhere to complain about this feature being removed as a 'test' please tell me where it is, I need the chime/beep like so many others, I am disabled and this is a great tool to make it easier to use. I will gladly try anything to make the bleeding thing chime again.

Thanks in advance!

hightech

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Go to S6 Menu.....accessability and turn SWITCH ACCESS On.......worked for me!

I don't even know what that does....but OK Google sound works now!]

Emanuel Caesar

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
This happened to me yesterday, but I managed to find out what the cause was and was able to get my OK google sound back. The problem is explained here: Disabling Accessibility Services Kills Nougat OK Google Audio Feedback. Although this doesn't only affect Nougat devices, but also devices on older versions of Android.

So, this problem happened to me yesterday. Then I googled the problem and came across that article. I realised something must have changed in accessibility for this problem to start. Then I realised I recently uninstalled an application, which originally had a toggle in Acessibility. After reinstalling the application, and toggling it on in Accessibility (as the app requires), then my Ok google sound came back. I think no one knows exactly why toggling something in Accessibility even affects this, but at least I managed to find out what caused this problem for me.

Long story short: uninstalling an application that had a toggle in Accessibility caused the OK google beep to disappear and be replaced by a vibration. In case you were wondering which app it was (and now reinstalled): Native Clipboard Manager. It's quite useful anyway imo.

So instead of changing "Switch Acess" to on in Accessibility, and running into annoyances in Youtube, you could just install this app I use.

Woah! I love the app! It also fixed the problem! Thanks bro! Never thought that kind of app will exists.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.dhm47.nativeclipboard&token=fYj9iYVG

Dr10Tu4

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I found a relativity easy way to restore the audio response to "OK Google" on my Samung Note 4: Simply go to
Settings --- Device --- Personalization --- Accessibility --- Services --- now, try turning "on" one or more services. In my case, I have two services: (1) Lookout; and, (2) Optical Reader. The Google verification tone works if either (or both) of these services are turned "on." I have no idea why this seems to work. Does anyone?

Paul Owens1

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
My phone isn't locked at the time. I have the media volume on and turned up. That was the first thing I checked. It's weird because it works when I activate through Bluetooth. I'm stomped. I did cache clean on the partition and within settings as well rebooted my device. The damn thing was working this morning first thing then it just stopped. Grrr. I'm hearing the factory reset.
-------------------------------------

Posted via the Android Central App

Why don't Google answer these questions? If anyone knows Google knows.

I use an A3 This happens to me. I restart my phone it works again. However, you shouldn't have to do this. Google...Help us.

Last edited:

AliceLode3

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Sound worked. Updated Google app ... sound stopped working. I've been searching for a cure for this for a week. Finally installed Clean Master and it solved the problem. I'm happy again. :)

TheRealRayn

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
It's inherent in the last 2 updates. On the Google forum a Google employee stated that this is a new thing they are testing out to see how it works and encourage people to give feedback. There is a way to turn it back on but it allows them the opportunity to view your sounds, your screens, and be your input including credit cards. Not worth it.

NOLATechy

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
After many trials and tribulations, I've narrowed this down to the "Accessibility" setting. In order to hear the audible "bleep" when you say "OK Google," you'll need to ensure that "Switch Access" is turned "ON" in setting. Navigate to "Settings" - ""Accessibility" - "Switch Access" and ensure the switch is turned to ON. You will receive a pop-up asking if you want to "use Switch Access?" Tap "OK" When the Switch Access Setup Wizard pops up, just tap the "EXIT" on the left side. That's it! You should now hear the audible "Bleep" when you say "OK Google."

The19thD0CT0R

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
After many trials and tribulations, I've narrowed this down to the "Accessibility" setting. In order to hear the audible "bleep" when you say "OK Google," you'll need to ensure that "Switch Access" is turned "ON" in setting. Navigate to "Settings" - ""Accessibility" - "Switch Access" and ensure the switch is turned to ON. You will receive a pop-up asking if you want to "use Switch Access?" Tap "OK" When the Switch Access Setup Wizard pops up, just tap the "EXIT" on the left side. That's it! You should now hear the audible "Bleep" when you say "OK Google."

This is actually a pretty widely known "fix" but what sucks about it is that it does things in other apps that are not desirable. On my Nexus 6 for example, the camera app then has manual zoom buttons overlaid, and the YouTube app has controls overlaid on the video you have to "x out" to make go away. It does bring back the beep, but still sucks.

Programmerneo

Mar 27, 2017
Visit site
This is actually a pretty widely known "fix" but what sucks about it is that it does things in other apps that are not desirable. On my Nexus 6 for example, the camera app then has manual zoom buttons overlaid, and the YouTube app has controls overlaid on the video you have to "x out" to make go away. It does bring back the beep, but still sucks.

This worked for me after the Nougat update. Settings>Accessibility>Lookout...turn it ON.

Dreamspinner3

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Android 7.0
Google 7.1.29.21.arm64
Phone Samsung Note 5
Carrier T-Mobile

"Ok Google' notification tone stopped working and nothing I've tried has gotten it working again. Been doing this since updated to Nougat. Please offer fix to get it working again. Thank you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95