No 6P guaranteed updates past Sept 2017

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
If you got it at launch, you'll get M, N and O ... it'll be 3 years once P rolls around. 36 months is solid IMO. Not many people keep their phones post that anyway, and it's not like you're phone can't run on O for more than a year.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Ya, I'm not worried and I just got mine a month ago. Just an fyi a heads up for people considering the device.

{Nexus 6P}

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I feel like even if I get this phone next year and keep it for two, I would be fine with this. Keeping an older update is okay. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It will also get security updates and minor version updates until about the time P is released. That means 3 years of being fully current on software.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
This only says updates not guaranteed. Google will still probably update if hardware is capable.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
This only says updates not guaranteed. Google will still probably update if hardware is capable.

Exactly. Older devices are still being updated even now if the hardware is capable.

Sent via the Communications Center of the Trigati

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Getting Android version updates for 2 years, and Security patches for 3 years works for me. This is one of the reasons I have pretty much moved to just Nexus devices from 2016 forward.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Getting Android version updates for 2 years, and Security patches for 3 years works for me. This is one of the reasons I have pretty much moved to just Nexus devices from 2016 forward.
I've been spoiled by iOS so if I did come back to Android it would only be Nexus. Don't want to have to deal with carrier and OEM bogged down phones.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
When you think about it, the older iOS devices that are still being updated are essentially getting security patches at this point. Much of the added feature set of the new iOS versions isn't available on the older devices.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well... I'll say this to anyone up on the ol' ledge... 'step back'

OS updates only guaranteed for two years... so that means that the 6P will get N and whatever O is. And once O is released, it'll be up to date with minor bug fixes/minor OS updates and security updates through the end (presumably when P is released). What this statement really means is that Google isn't making any promises about you getting the next major OS update after 'O', but you will be kept up to date until that point.... so the 6P will be up to date until Fall 2018.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well... I'll say this to anyone up on the ol' ledge... 'step back'

OS updates only guaranteed for two years... so that means that the 6P will get N and whatever O is. And once O is released, it'll be up to date with minor bug fixes/minor OS updates and security updates through the end (presumably when P is released). What this statement really means is that Google isn't making any promises about you getting the next major OS update after 'O', but you will be kept up to date until that point.... so the 6P will be up to date until Fall 2018.

Don't you hate it when you get the "quoted you" notification and all they said was, "this^^"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87