Android 7.0 Nougat via Beta Program - You Get the Disease, Not the Cure.

NeoTreo

May 17, 2016
Visit site
It's a trap! Oh well, you are stuck like me now. I guess I know how that lab rat feels grabbing that piece of cheese and not being patient.

Google Cancer - if you signed-up for Android beta to get Nougat you now have to "participate" for their monthly update.
You Get the Disease, Not the Cure.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Can't you just unsubscribe and be done?

Yes. And your device is not formatted and no data is lost. I know this because I did it myself. I was running the dev previews (starting with DP4) and now I'm running regular N and no longer on the beta program.

Not sure what OP is referring to unless they didn't realize they can un-enroll.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Sure, but then you will never get another OTA update until you enroll back into the program. That's the only way I was able to get the September update and new OS version. Hence the "It's a trap" reference...

Yeah. Me too though I would say for me at this point that it's a possible result, not definitively the cause. I waited until the end of last week with no OTA. I didn't get the security patch or an OS update from 90M (which I got quickly by enrolling then opting out). I re-enrolled and instantly got the patch which rolled me up to 90T. I'm leaving it enrolled to see if I can grab the next patch more or less on time. I will then will unenroll and see if get the next one. Then I'll know for sure if the issue is with being in the beta program.

terminator y2k

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Sure, but then you will never get another OTA update until you enroll back into the program. That's the only way I was able to get the September update and new OS version. Hence the "It's a trap" reference...

You'll get the updates, it may just take a bit longer. No biggie IMO.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. Me too though I would say for me at this point that it's a possible result, not definitively the cause. I waited until the end of last week with no OTA. I didn't get the security patch or an OS update from 90M (which I got quickly by enrolling then opting out). I re-enrolled and instantly got the patch which rolled me up to 90T. I'm leaving it enrolled to see if I can grab the next patch more or less on time. I will then will unenroll and see if get the next one. Then I'll know for sure if the issue is with being in the beta program.

How about you unenroll and then see if you end up with the October patch before me while I stay enrolled. Then you will get your answer.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I enrolled in the beta to get Nougat before OTA. I left the beta with version "M" on my phone. I saw others were on "T" and "U". Enrolled in beta again and instantly got the "T" version, along with September security patch.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I was on the Beta with both my Pixel and my Nexus. I left the beta on my Pixel once I got Nougat and I got the September security patch just fine, so, it's certainly not true that you don't get any patches once you've been on the beta.

heartagram616

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I enrolled to get nougat then left beta program and as of this morning no OTA so I was tired of waiting and just sideloaded the OTA file available on the android developer site. I have no idea why I didn't just do that on day 1 when they made it available. Now I get to anxiously wait and see if anything in the U build fixes my battery life and general instability :'(

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

I just go the October update yesterday. I stayed enrolled the whole time. Did you get it yet not being enrolled?

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have stayed enrolled and got the Oct patch last night which brings me up to NBD90X. Now I'm going to unenroll and see if I get the next patch or 7.1 or whatever...

Ciege

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I was in Beta to get the original 7.0 update, then left, then re-enrolled to get NRD90T then left.
Today, after previously un-enrolling from the beta, I received the NBD90X update.
I hope that is clear enough that it did NOT affect me having previously been in the beta but un-enrolled.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I was in Beta to get the original 7.0 update, then left, then re-enrolled to get NRD90T then left.
Today, after previously un-enrolling from the beta, I received the NBD90X update.
I hope that is clear enough that it did NOT affect me having previously been in the beta but un-enrolled.

Okay, that's very odd. It's usually only the beta builds that have B in the build number. Non-beta releases have always had an 'R'. Also, my Pixel C (which was formerly on the Beta but since unenrolled since August) has a build number with an R (NRD91D) that I received this morning.

NeoTreo

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Got rid of Beta like a lump on my back.

Received an update today to Build No. NBD90X and Security Patch dated October 5, 2016.

There's chatter out there the the "B" in NBD90X stands for "Beta".
Don't know, don't care - just as long as the security patch is current.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Got rid of Beta like a lump on my back.

Received an update today to Build No. NBD90X and Security Patch dated October 5, 2016.

There's chatter out there the the "B" in NBD90X stands for "Beta".
Don't know, don't care - just as long as the security patch is current.

Negative. I never signed up for beta and have NBD90X on my phone.

goadamn

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I enrolled in the Beta back in June or something. Unsubscribed from the beta a few days later (which sucked because it totally reformatted my phone and I lost a bunch of ****) and then I got the proper OTA update of 7.0 a few weeks ago and it was the most recent version of it too.

Just now installed the OTA of 90X as well.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Negative. I never signed up for beta and have NBD90X on my phone.

Yeah. it looks like with this update, it seems Google's changed the build numbers. So it's not going to be as easy to see what's a beta and non-beta build just via the Build number.

Ron Copsetta

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site

That's not true, try patient's, I was on the beta program a month ago and unenrolled, I just got Oct security update today and NBD90X