Why has the introduction of the Pixel not caused the 6P to drop in price?

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Why has the introduction of the Pixel not caused the 6P
to drop in price?

Clearly, Google wants to emulate Apple's iPhone pricing.
But Apple almost always drop the previous version's price
by at least $100 or so.

This has not happened to the prices of the 6P yet. Why?

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
They're still there on that page at when I just clicked your link. I was thinking of the Google Store, but on Fi they seem to still be available.

Does Google operate two separate online stores with separate inventories? Google Store and Project Fi Store?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Does Google operate two separate online stores with separate inventories? Google Store and Project Fi Store?

Yes to the two separate stores, not sure about inventories but they are no longer selling Nexus products on the Google Store.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes to the two separate stores, not sure about inventories but they are no longer selling Nexus products on the Google Store.

Just tried to place an order... it let me continue all the way to the last page, just before I actually complete the order.... although... if the Google Store no longer has them, I suppose the Project Fi store will cancel my 6P order? :)

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
In the past, many of us enthusiasts would jump on the newest nexus release. No one wanted the prior generation Nexus. With the Pixel introduction, I feel there are far fewer willing to jump on the bandwagon, mainly because of the price. I do believe that this makes the N6P even more attractive because it is a very worthy upgrade for someone with a 2+ year old phone that wants a newer unlocked, affordable phone. It may go on sale on Black Friday, but I do not foresee a fire sale to clear inventory. I think it will sell very well at current pricing. Maybe Google will bundle a $50 play credit or something, rather than a huge price cut.

greatgoogly

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Valid points. I have a feeling Google will dump any remaining 6P's they have in stock either into the Mountainview Trash Transfer station or ship 'em off to third world countries. The last thing Google wants is for people in the US to opt for a 6P instead of shelling out a Mountainview of bucks for their new golden child, Pixel.

svknet

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I am keeping track on Nexus 6P on online stores in India from last 1 month. Prices have never dropped even after Pixel was announced.
I hope after Pixel is actually launched on Oct-13, there may be price drop for Nexus 6P (so I can grab it :))

Beikos

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I have observed a drop of about 100$ in Switzerland (two weeks before the Pixel launch event). Now the price for the 64 GB version is 450$.

Do you think it's worth waiting for prices to drop further? I'm excited to finally get one, so Nov 25th is definitely too long of a wait!

Last edited:

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
If you want one buy it now. They aren't making 6Ps anymore so when the existing stocks are gone that's it. The normal reason for dropping the price doesn't exist because the Pixel is $300 more expensive then the 6P. They've already removed it from the Play store and it's likely it will be gone from the FI store momentarily, I don't think you can wait.

walter1832

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just got a 64gb one from B&H for $499 with a free Garmin Vivofit 3 (that I plan to sell on Ebay). I was waiting for a while myself, but I didn't want to wait any longer. I don't think the prices are going to get much lower unless you buy used.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
If you want one buy it now. They aren't making 6Ps anymore so when the existing stocks are gone that's it. The normal reason for dropping the price doesn't exist because the Pixel is $300 more expensive then the 6P. They've already removed it from the Play store and it's likely it will be gone from the FI store momentarily, I don't think you can wait.

Exactly what I was trying to say (not as succinctly) earlier. Supply and demand......no more supply but there will be demand for the N6P because of Pixel pricing. This wasn't true on earlier Nexus launches, hence the fire sales in the past.