Thinking about a Nexus 6p as a second phone

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Curious what you guys would say about the Nexus 6p. I am thinking about it as a second phone. Currently using the S7 Edge and looking forward to the note. I figured a Nexus phone would be a nice backup / second phone

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I loved my 6P but gave it up for a Pixel XL.

I would definitely go back to a 6P if the situation warranted it.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You like the 6p better than the XL?

No; definitely prefer my Pixel XL.

But, I would not be averse to going back to a 6P if it were necessary for some unforeseen reason. Like, if my XL were to be lost or destroyed and I could not immediately get a replacement.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
6P would still make a great primary phone! It's true that there have been a relatively small percentage of users experiencing bootloops/battery issues after Nougat, but personally, I've had no problems.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
6P would still make a great primary phone! It's true that there have been a relatively small percentage of users experiencing bootloops/battery issues after Nougat, but personally, I've had no problems.
Good to hear. It should arrive tomorrow so I'm anxious to try it out. How's the camera?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear. It should arrive tomorrow so I'm anxious to try it out. How's the camera?

Oh, the camera is impressive. If the situation allows for you to use the HDR+ mode (which is most all now), I consistently getting high quality shots. When it comes to outright quality of stills, it outperforms my wife's S7 Edge... oh, the Sammy is quicker, no denying that, but the 6P gives you a picture that looks more natural.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Oh, the camera is impressive. If the situation allows for you to use the HDR+ mode (which is most all now), I consistently getting high quality shots. When it comes to outright quality of stills, it outperforms my wife's S7 Edge... oh, the Sammy is quicker, no denying that, but the 6P gives you a picture that looks more natural.
Nice. I'm using the s7edge now so Im terested in checking it out. Should arrive by this afternoon

Last edited:

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
6P is primary phone (work phone is an iPhone 6S) and its fantastic...ive had it since May and zero issues with it.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Nice. I'm using the s7edge now so Im terested in checking it out. Should arrive by this afternoon

I have hundreds, if not thousands of photos to compare the two in pretty much every situation you can come across. The S7's camera is really good.. its frighteningly fast and reliable, and the app is pretty good, but Samsung overcooks their images. Their processing is so heavy handed that if you look at the shots on a larger screen, the processing artifacts get noticeable. Things look a little artificial and processed.

The 6P is a slower, more deliberate camera to use, but the end result, in my experience, is slightly higher quality. HDR+ uses information from the image to process the shot, so the end result is more accurate... especially in lower light. The 6P's shots look 'softer' than the S7's, but they also retain more of the subtle colors and details... like the curve of a vase or leaves in neaby trees, skin tones.

Not that the S7 takes bad pictures... it takes excellent pictures. But between the two, if I need the best shot I can, I'll make sure I take it with my 6P.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Setting it up now. The only thing missing is Samsung Pay lol.
7c1cb8c20ef63aef4386b88494f10b95.jpg

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
NICE!

Here is a link to the dev that has that modified Google Camera app ( Updated Camera NX V5.4 Base on New Google Camera 4.2.035, Bug Fixes and Performance Improvement (APK Download))

In this one, it removes the shutter delay when taking HDR+ Auto pictures... it uses the Pixel's version which is instant. You lose a wee bit of the dynamic range of full HDR+, but its fast.

Again.. .HDR+ is your friend. Whether you use the stock app or this modified one... HDR+ is your friend. Accept the slight pause when taking the pics since good things happen.

But enjoy your phone.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
NICE!

Here is a link to the dev that has that modified Google Camera app ( Updated Camera NX V5.4 Base on New Google Camera 4.2.035, Bug Fixes and Performance Improvement (APK Download))

In this one, it removes the shutter delay when taking HDR+ Auto pictures... it uses the Pixel's version which is instant. You lose a wee bit of the dynamic range of full HDR+, but its fast.

Again.. .HDR+ is your friend. Whether you use the stock app or this modified one... HDR+ is your friend. Accept the slight pause when taking the pics since good things happen.

But enjoy your phone.

This is a superb upgrade to the standard camera app.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Excellent idea. I have the N6P as a back up, and with the Moto Z Force Droid "sound fiasco", i've returned to my Nexus, while Moto repairs my phone.:p

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Curious what you guys would say about the Nexus 6p. I am thinking about it as a second phone. Currently using the S7 Edge and looking forward to the note. I figured a Nexus phone would be a nice backup / second phone

Yeah why not! ^_^ It's got a great screen, fast updates to the latest Android OS.
BUT having said that, the 821 is my favourite processor haha. So I'm biased towards the Pixel 5.0" version. I think it all comes down to personal preference and value for money. The Pixel is newer so you will pay a little premium for it while the 6P is far cheaper and get better value. Decisions Decisions.

Edit: i see you got the Nexus 6P! Hope you enjoy it!