exchanging my nook tablet

tony404

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
The front bezel is slightly warped on both sides so its a little separated and on the left side you can actually see alittle light from the lcd. I spoke to support, they said I should be able to exchange it at best buy where I bought it. We shall see.

tony404

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
best buy exchanged it no questions.They felt the play on the left side. I just opened the new and I can see a little of lcd light thru the left side but it doesnt have the play in it like the last one did. Should I just get a case and be done with it?

CeeDotSmith

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
best buy exchanged it no questions.They felt the play on the left side. I just opened the new and I can see a little of lcd light thru the left side but it doesnt have the play in it like the last one did. Should I just get a case and be done with it?

This is interesting. I purchased mine's from Best Buy also. I'm trying to see if mine's has the seeping light as well and from what I can see, there is no light seeping through. Considering that it's a brand new device... I would exchange it again if you are continuing to see that light. Sure, a case would solve the problem, but if I'm spending my hard earned money... I want my money's worth. Just my 2 cents as far as that goes.

Any other issues? I'm trying to decide whether I should give the Nook tablet or the Kindle Fire as gifts this Christmas.

I, originally, had the Nook Color. Then I tried the Kindle Fire for about a week. I would say great device (nice build, great interface, etc). From the short time I spent with it... I saw no software issues whatsoever. I, ultimately, ended up going back to Nook [Tablet] because most of my library is with them and I love the interaction between the Nook interface and Facebook (my own personal little "thing" I like :p). Can't go wrong with either one, but I will give it to Amazon as far as the seamless integration of all digital things purchased from them. It was really nice seeing movies I'd purchased on the Kindle.

tony404

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
This is interesting. I purchased mine's from Best Buy also. I'm trying to see if mine's has the seeping light as well and from what I can see, there is no light seeping through. Considering that it's a brand new device... I would exchange it again if you are continuing to see that light. Sure, a case would solve the problem, but if I'm spending my hard earned money... I want my money's worth. Just my 2 cents as far as that goes.

good point.

Evo Longoria

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I, originally, had the Nook Color. Then I tried the Kindle Fire for about a week. I would say great device (nice build, great interface, etc). From the short time I spent with it... I saw no software issues whatsoever. I, ultimately, ended up going back to Nook [Tablet] because most of my library is with them and I love the interaction between the Nook interface and Facebook (my own personal little "thing" I like :p). Can't go wrong with either one, but I will give it to Amazon as far as the seamless integration of all digital things purchased from them. It was really nice seeing movies I'd purchased on the Kindle.

Off topic, but I just got my Fire, and I agree with you about the interface and the integration. I love it. There are issues with screen responsiveness that I hope will be rectified quickly, but generally I like it a lot, even though it's not a full-fledged tablet. (I've got a Xoom for that.)

I have a Nook Color I bought early on, which I got solely for the hot-at-the-time Honeycomb hack, before the Xoom was released. I've since restored it to vanilla Nook, but don't find it that interesting a device. I'm trying to decide on trying out the Nook Tablet but other than speed, I'm not clear what would be that different. For a small, handy, Internet consumption device, I think the Fire is great. And, of course, the $50 difference, already having a number of Kindle books, and my being an Amazon Prime member anyway pretty much sealed the deal.

My only serious desire is for Bluetooth functionality so I could use it with my Bluetooth wireless speakers, as the built-in speakers have very little gain.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Any other issues? I'm trying to decide whether I should give the Nook tablet or the Kindle Fire as gifts this Christmas.

WHen people ask me this question, I ask them are they purchasing a reader with a few tablet features or a low cost tablet? If you want a reader, then Nook Tablet is a no brainer.....Barnes & Noble have 2.5 times the amount of ebooks available. I own the Tablet, and love it.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Please supstantiate that figure of BandN having 2.5 times the number of ebooks available vs. Amazon. Don't you mean BandN have 2.5 million books available?
And as being a no brainer...strange Kindle still outsells BandN e-book readers.

And I'll add, I have a Nook Touch, love it, so I'm not a Kindle Junkie; just somone who likes to see accurate figures thrown out. But the reason I got the Nook simple touch was it was in the store, the Kindle was not.

dskelly

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The main reason I like the Nook Tablet is that it directly supports EPub format. The original Kindles attempted to pigeon-hole their users with a proprietary format. I suspect it has improved over time, but I've got my library connected to B&N and epub books from the Sony Readers.

When I started using EBooks, Kindle didn't have any support for local libraries. It appears that has changed; but they were late to that market (albeit a small market). They are now having issues with Penguin books and the libraries (Overdrive software specifically). Not sure how that will pan out or what the actual problem is. EPub books are still available from Penguin though, so I don't think it is solely a money issue.

I've move up from a Nook Color to a Nook Tablet. The main difference I see is that the Nook Table has a better feeling body; the bezel has a slight grippier feeling, and the speed difference is substantial. It probably isn't really worth the price to upgrade from the Nook Color to the Nook Tablet; but I can now give an e-reader to a family member.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Please supstantiate that figure of BandN having 2.5 times the number of ebooks available vs. Amazon. Don't you mean BandN have 2.5 million books available?
And as being a no brainer...strange Kindle still outsells BandN e-book readers.

And I'll add, I have a Nook Touch, love it, so I'm not a Kindle Junkie; just somone who likes to see accurate figures thrown out. But the reason I got the Nook simple touch was it was in the store, the Kindle was not.

It's fairly well known B&N has ~2.5 million ebooks, Amazon has ~1 million. And as I said, as an "ereader" it's a no brainer going with the bigger library, as long as the hardware stacks up, and it's pretty clear the Nook tablet is superior is several areas to the Fire.

Face-Off: Amazon Kindle Fire vs. Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet

Amazon's Kindle Fire vs. the Barnes & Noble Nook tablet

Amazon’s Kindle Fire or Barnes and Noble’s Nook Tablet: Similar But Not Identical - International Business Times

So I'll say it again. If i were buying an ereader, I'd go with the superior selection, that being B&N. If I were buying a cheap watered down tablet, I may go with Amazon, but let's face it, for not much more, you can get an actual android tablet.

ScottColbert

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Funny then, that books I've looked for on BandN weren't there, but were on kindle. While I like the specs on the Nook, and prefer external storage, several things keep me from going with the Nook.

1. BandN isn't exactly doing well; it got hampered with buying B Daltons and still kind of reeling from the losses when they closed all their stores (as well as some BandN stores too) back in 2009. As a company they're pinning everything on the Nook, and I'm not convinced they'll be around in 5 years. I see them going the way Borders went. While they may have twice as many titles, they are more expensive than kindle counterparts.

2. Any streaming services rely on third parties, hulu, netflix etc. Amazon has its own streaming video not to mention music downloads and a very robust app store-all things Nook lacks.

3. No cloud services.

BaloneyPony

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Yep, the Nook Tablet is the way to go. Plus with the Amazon Fire you have Amazon monitoring all of your browsing activities through the guise of SILK "optimization". The Fire is a glorified Kindle, the Nook is a low priced tablet. And lastly, Bezos has that crazy eye.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Funny then, that books I've looked for on BandN weren't there, but were on kindle. While I like the specs on the Nook, and prefer external storage, several things keep me from going with the Nook.

1. BandN isn't exactly doing well; it got hampered with buying B Daltons and still kind of reeling from the losses when they closed all their stores (as well as some BandN stores too) back in 2009. As a company they're pinning everything on the Nook, and I'm not convinced they'll be around in 5 years. I see them going the way Borders went. While they may have twice as many titles, they are more expensive than kindle counterparts.

2. Any streaming services rely on third parties, hulu, netflix etc. Amazon has its own streaming video not to mention music downloads and a very robust app store-all things Nook lacks.

3. No cloud services.

Wow. Where are you getting your inside track on B&N's demise? Because even though anything can happen in your 5 years.....B&N seems to be doing quite well.

As Borders Closes Bookshops, Rival Barnes & Noble Survives - TIME

Stock Market Research - Zacks Investment Research

Barnes & Noble Bullish, Even On Drastically Shrinking Print Market | paidContent

All that being said, I agree with you in one area. B&N is definately putting alot of stock in their digital market. And who wouldn't? It's a good plan. But please, stop with the misinformation and stick to facts. They're going strong, and since none of us have a crystal ball that actually works, maybe we should just stick to the info we have currently. The Nook is the way to go for BOOKS in digital form in my opinion, which I think was the question asked.
*edit to fix a link*

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
It's fairly well known B&N has ~2.5 million ebooks, Amazon has ~1 million. And as I said, as an "ereader" it's a no brainer going with the bigger library, as long as the hardware stacks up, and it's pretty clear the Nook tablet is superior is several areas to the Fire.

Amazon's Kindle Fire vs. the Barnes & Noble Nook tablet

Amazon’s Kindle Fire or Barnes and Noble’s Nook Tablet: Similar But Not Identical - International Business Times

So I'll say it again. If i were buying an ereader, I'd go with the superior selection, that being B&N. If I were buying a cheap watered down tablet, I may go with Amazon, but let's face it, for not much more, you can get an actual android tablet.

Amazon has many more books than B&N. That's just a fact. B&N piggybacks their stats on the total number of ebub books available in the universe. Also, Amazon has much better prices once you get outside the price fixed Big Six publishers.

As for B&N's stability, they were close to filing bankruptcy last year, but seem to have righted the ship at least for now. Their stock price has returned to where it was. But, their digital ebook division is still not profitable.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Amazon has many more books than B&N. That's just a fact. B&N piggybacks their stats on the total number of ebub books available in the universe. Also, Amazon has much better prices once you get outside the price fixed Big Six publishers.

As for B&N's stability, they were close to filing bankruptcy last year, but seem to have righted the ship at least for now. Their stock price has returned to where it was. But, their digital ebook division is still not profitable.

Ah cool thanks for the links on your statements for backup. oh wait.....

Look guys, if you've already bought a Fire, and I'm only assuming here, there's no need to worry. Amazon is going to be fine. They are much more diversified than B&N. But to make silly statements with no back up like they don't have more books than Amazon, or in 5 years they wont be around, etc, is misinformation. Post facts, or don't post.

For the time being and the foreseeable future, B&N is strong and is the better ebook retailer. Period.

Oh, happy thanksgiving all. :)

tony404

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
its a great little tablet, I added the amazon app and then the kindle app. So all my books are on it. It there wasnt this slight bezel problem it would be perfect.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Sound

"There’s no comparison between the accurate, loud, and rich stereo speakers that sit on the short right side of the Kindle Fire and the distorted, clock radio-like speaker on the back of the Nook Tablet. When we tried playing music and movies on the Fire, sound was loud enough to fill a room and good enough to replace a low-end stereo. The only problem with sound on the Kindle Fire is that the device lacks physical volume buttons."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca