Is the OnePlus 3 1080p screen good enough?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The OnePlus 3 has a 5.5" 1080p OLED display, affording a resolution of 400ppi. For most purposes at least that will easily be sharp enough, but would you have preferred a quadHD display, perhaps for VR, at the expense of greater battery consumption?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: 1080p

I think for right now the device at 1080 should be fine. Yes, if VR were a concern, the resolution should have been better, but at the same time, VR would almost dictate several changes in the phone itself.

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: 1080p

1080p will allow better battery too. The iPhone has 1080p and so far manages to sell.

Posted via the Android Central App

Armeniandave

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I've had many phone lately with higher resolution screens. HTC 10, Note 4, Galaxy S6 Edge, and one with 1080 which was the HTC A9 and it didn't bother me at all. I like the better battery too.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I've heard that the reason OnePlus stayed at 1080p was because they felt that the amount of people using smartphones for VR isn't high enough to justify putting a higher-resolution display for VR.

Plus, 1080p is mighty fine for normal use. You still get loads of detail and you can't even distinguish each pixel at a normal operating distance anyway. 400+PPI is more than plenty for daily use. You also have the extra benefit of better energy efficiency, meaning that your battery lasts longer.

Malek J

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I've heard that the reason OnePlus stayed at 1080p was because they felt that the amount of people using smartphones for VR isn't high enough to justify putting a higher-resolution display for VR.

Plus, 1080p is mighty fine for normal use. You still get loads of detail and you can't even distinguish each pixel at a normal operating distance anyway. 400+PPI is more than plenty for daily use. You also have the extra benefit of better energy efficiency, meaning that your battery lasts longer.

I'm pretty sure the reason oneplus didn't include a 1440p screen is to cut the costs and has nothing to with the lack of people using vr. According to samsung there's 1 million people using the gear vr and the number is growing. Also let's not forget that Google is coming up with their own vr headset which the axon 7 is already compatible with.

Not having 1440p is not a deal breaker but it's definitely a major shortcoming.

Battery wise the reviews are showing 3.5 to 4 hours of screen on time which is on par or less than the s7 and htc 10.

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Battery wise the reviews are showing 3.5 to 4 hours of screen on time which is on par or less than the s7 and htc 10.
Note that SOT is entirely dependent on usage pattern. We can't entirely base a phone's battery life just on SOT alone. We need to know how the phone is being used and how long it has been off the charger since the last time it was plugged in for a full-charge.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I own both a 1080p Nexus 5X with Google Cardboard and a QHD S7 Edge with Gear VR. While the S7 edge does look better, it doesn't look that much better. Both look fairly pixelated. And part of the reason the S7 Edge looks a little better could be because the Gear VR headset is just nicer. Honestly, both resolutions are subpar for phone headset VR, so I wouldn't get your panties all in a knot because the OnePlus 3 screen is only 1080p. Trust me, VR would still look pretty crappy even if it had a QHD screen. Really, a 4k screen is needed if you want VR to look really good from a phone.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I own both a 1080p Nexus 5X with Google Cardboard and a QHD S7 Edge with Gear VR. While the S7 edge does look better, it doesn't look that much better. Both look fairly pixelated. And part of the reason the S7 Edge looks a little better could be because the Gear VR headset is just nicer. Honestly, both resolutions are subpar for phone headset VR, so I wouldn't get your panties all in a knot because the OnePlus 3 screen is only 1080p. Trust me, VR would still look pretty crappy even if it had a QHD screen. Really, a 4k screen is needed if you want VR to look really good from a phone.
To be frank, I don't think we're ready for 4K displays on a phone yet. Improvements in energy efficiency and battery capacity plus performance will have to be made first before it can be feasible to put a 4K display on a phone.

Not to mention thermal management.

R.I.P GPe program

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress